konalavadome

Walk In To The Fire

• 26 Replies

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« on: January 13, 2019, 02:51:16 PM »
Hi All

I've been listening to quite a bit of acoustic, live and unplugged stuff recently and this song has been largely inspired by that I think.

https://soundcloud.com/my-idiom/walk-in-to-the-fire-m-blair-2019

I didn't consciously set out to mimic a live recording (largely as I wouldn't really know how and because all the instruments are midi or sampled, which I expect would make it harder still) but towards the end, that was the way I was leaning. So that was sort of the intention that coloured my decisions late on, although it is just what it is really.

I'd love any feedback on any aspect of this.

Thank you in advance.

Yodasdad

Walk In To The Fire © M Blair

V1
How did we end up this way
Intimate strangers just sharing days
Our words destroy our memories
Like daggers we use them anyway

Can we pull out of the darkness
Have we used up all our chances
On this hopeless masquerade

C
I will walk in to the fire
Turn my back towards the light
Lay down my dreams to face our demons
I would let go of it all
Take a knee to break your fall
But I can’t fix a thing that’s broken
If you don’t believe in me

V2
Tell me what you really feel
When you look at me these days
Lets not waste another year     
Shall we go our separate ways

I meant it when I pledged my life
But there’s a light out in your eyes
There’s only so much we can fake

The final thing I’d ever do
Is consider giving up on you
But my mind’s about to break

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 05:02:01 PM »
Big, bold and confident strumming and singing.

I wasn't sure if this was the right treatment for this particular song...I could hear the strings and everything straining to be let off the leash, somehow! If all the guys are there...they may as well get stuck in unless they're on a work-to-rule or overtime ban or some other 70's throwback that probably makes no sense to a young fella like yourself.

Very nice song though...vocals are bang on the money as always. Nice clean guitar tone too. I think maybe (unless I was just imagining it) it's a bit tricky doing your own backing vocals in a "live" situation (even though it's simulated) but there isn't an easy way around that!

Nicely done anyway...

ps when you say all the instruments are midi or sampled...do you mean "ALL the instruments"?

If so, I'd never have known and you are a genius.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 06:36:06 PM »
@Yodasdad

That’s a huge acoustic guitar sound.  Interesting piano which, is quite unexpected as it soars and dives in a really interesting manner.  This doesn’t really get started for me until the ’I will walk into the fire’ section which is lovely.  When the bass is introduced, it has such a big impact.  Perhaps allow the song to develop further before introducing the guitar solo. Overall, I felt like the song length could have been extended.   I really enjoyed listening but I’d like to hear the verse sections matching the calibre of the chorus.  Lots of space here which is great and I can hear how you could develop this song further to present something quite epic!

Paul

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 08:25:42 PM »
Yo Mr.B.

Now and again I come across a song which makes me wonder why the writer/performer isn't well known. Such is the level of composition and execution,it unlines just how many talented folk get overlooked. Fair is never what life has been,so I wonder and move on.

For those of us who are content just to appreciate music with no hope or agenda,this is as good as it gets. This right here.

It's lovely,man.  8)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 09:32:53 PM »
Lovely acoustic sound Yoda and exceptional vocals as well. I'm confused now as you say it's all samples. If so you are a top sample chopper extraordinaire. I kinda thought that was going to explode towards the end into a rock infused maelstrom. It didn't matter that it didn't as it's a top song  :)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 09:59:11 PM »
Wow! Anthemic and emotional. I loved this from the first chords ringing out - that acoustic sound you've captured is really really great. Fantastic vocal and I love the theme and the lyrics.

This is simply a great song. You've done a super job with it too.. Just love it!

K

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 10:00:46 PM »
Thanks for the comments so far guys, I shall respond fully in due course, but just to jump in on what @PaulAds and @pompeyjazz are saying:

I probably didn't explain myself very well...

The only instrument I play is the piano/keyboards, plus a bit of basic drumming, but I got no drums.

The piano in my songs I obviously play, but don't record the audio, just the midi to trigger a sampled piano that sounds better than mine. In this case it was one of Native Instruments offerings, The Grandeur I think.

Drums- I either play them on midi keyboard and then tweak them in the editor or more often get a basic beat from the Logic Drummer feature and then tweak that.

Guitar, how I wish I'd learned to play guitar - if you were to go back and listen to some of my very early songs (please don't), you would notice that there's either no guitar or just single note snippets, played on the keyboard.

After much searching I came across some packages that allow you to play the chord sequence on the keyboard, which will then trigger the same chords being played by a guitarist playing them, that was recorde/sampled. (I think). I can then go in and tweak them to a certain extent, and of course as you said, chop them up.

The bass in this is a standard Logic patch. I think it's synthesised rather than sampled, but I'm not entirely sure.

The strings are again played on keyboard, using a combination in this case of a logic violin sample and native instruments session strings.

I then spend hours and hours and days and hours (ask my wife) tweaking, editing, mixing, eq'ing, automating....to try to get it all to fit together and sound somewhere close to authentic.

With this song I'd say it took about 20% of the time to write the song and the other 80% to do all of the above.

So that's kind of my process, not sure if I'm technically write when I said it's all midi and samples, but that's how I perceive it.

Oh and the singing of course, I have not sampled myself...yet....so I do actually do that.

Yodasdad

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 10:08:18 PM »
Oh, the guitar solo in this is played in on midi keyboard too, using sounds from I think...Evolution Strawberry.

Yodasdad

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 10:16:34 PM »
Amazing insight mate. I'm a (shit) guitarist who wishes that I could play the piano so well done. Midi has changed the recording world big time

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 06:08:25 AM »
Wow it's exactly my thing. I love this kind of stuff. Only the first 30 seconds are a bit rugged and the voice was not exactly on the music but this is may only me.
I'm 100 percent satisfied listening to this gem.
Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 07:23:02 AM »
Man!!! What a song!! I LOOOVE it!! Great melody, lyrics and production. Only thing I didn't like was the clapping...just didn't think you needed it...I get that it's a quirky, fun thing to do, but for me just didn't feel right.

However that being said...if you'd come up with a way to have a crowd sing that epic chorus with you in the mix, that would have been pretty cool!😁👍🏻

Excellent work man! Fave song I've heard on here in a while.
😁🎶👊🏻🎶

The Portrait Piano

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 04:55:38 PM »
Deep heart felt lyrics & powerfully delivered vocals

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 06:45:42 PM »
Nice one....really nice. The chorus kicks butt

V1 line 2 consider dropping 'just'

V1 line 3 consider dropping both 'our'

V1 line 4...are you saying use them or throw them? I like throw

V2 line 3...'lets not' is tricky...i would look for something else...simplify it...dont waste as an example

V2 line 7 consider deopping 'theres'

I'm not a fan of the guitar tone for the solo, but the solo notation is quite tasteful

I'm not a great guitarist but anytime you want to give me a shot at an accompanying track on one of your songs I woukd be glad to try.

This is really a great song.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 09:00:43 AM »
Yeah, those guitars have something really epic about them, really drew me in.
I think a bigger climactic chorus somewhere could be good, though (the instruments are already there). Repeating the title line again within the chorus could also be effective I think.
The first verse with the daggers was the highlight of the lyrics, very nice.

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 11:09:06 AM »
Very professional sounding, LOVE the big acoustic guitar sound. Decent vocals and I also love how the song builds and builds. This is how it should be done, amazing.