Songwriter Forum > The Writing Process

Neologism

(1/3) > >>

Martinswede:
Hi!
Since English isn't my native language I tend to find myself stuck when it comes to making new expressions in English.
In Swedish I'm kind of an neological equilibrist, but I lack the cultural references to go hay wire in English.

Natives: Do you have any fine ways to express resent and general disliking that goes off the grid?
Mild profanity is FULLY acceptable.

Best regards,
Martin

jacksimmons:
If you really hate someone, you can say "I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire." That's a good one.

That's one in common parlance, or do you mean ones we have come up with ourselves?

Martinswede:
Hi Jack! That's a good one.

Yes, I'm mainly interested in completely new words, and not so much metaphors.

PaulAds:
Hi Martin

The heavy-duty phrase I use when pushed to the limit is to call someone a "f*cking moron" ...that's pretty unambiguous. The more brutal reworking of the phrase "Cupid Stunt" is pretty direct too.

More light-hearted descriptions of people you dislike such as "empty suit" and "oxygen thief" are more comedy-based and less likely to end in a fight.

I must just mention my favourite sentence. It was in a recording book I used to have by Peter McIan (?).

He said something about dropping a plectrum on the carpet and then having to pick it up again. And described the feeling perfectly in a one word sentence.

"Drag".

jacksimmons:
the late great Christopher Hitchens once said of the Reverend Jerry Falwell: “If you gave him an enema he could be buried in a matchbox.”

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version