It's June

• 21 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: January 11, 2019, 02:58:23 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Here's another new one from the Monty House Of Music. It's about wanting to escape from somewhere which once held promise but now doesn't. Hope you like it and feel free to comment.

M

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/its-june

It's June and when the weather breaks
I'm going to pick up everything it takes
And get moving
This little town has got me down
And that feeling's coming round
To leaving

The sky has that faded look
That I once mistook
For morning
On the day when I turned around
Set my feet on the ground
For walking

Sun shines through the plastic blinds
Falls on my coffee grinds
Wake up!
Breakfast the waitress brings
On the radio Tammy Wynette sings
"Let's break up"

I look up and catch the eye
Of a woman passing by
Whose's smiling
Or is she laughing at my faded shirt
And the hundred miles of roadside dirt
I'm wearing

Endless run of power lines
Stretched across the countryside
Mark my steps along the way
Another town another new day

Thumbed a 60's Corvette ride
Took me to the other side
Chrome shining
As I turned around to wave goodbye
Brake lights came alive
She's slowing

So I run and catch the door
"What was I waiting for?"
She's asking
It was something that I said
That echoed around her head
Sand's running
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:59:30 PM by montydog »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 04:10:40 PM »
First reaction as I listen...shades of Glen Campbell. It reminds me of "Gentle on My Mind".

From your description I would call this an unstable theme, which is supported with an occasional near rhyme, the uneven line lengths and a lack of tonic resolution at the end. There are stable elements, as well--especially all the perfect rhymes. What does all that mean? Ummm...that I am congratulating myself on recognizing these elements? Probably.

I noticed a couple tiny issues with timing/rhythm (like pronouncing the car COR-vette instead of how I think of it: cor-VETTE).

But mainly I noticed how pleasant this is and I just want to relax and listen to the mellow sound flowing through my headphones.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 04:15:08 PM »
Alan,
Fab lyrics as ever. Liking the guitar, mandolin and banjo. Its got a loverly roots feel to it. Voice sounds just right.
And sax solo really tops it off.
Thoughts: I think early on the drums are a bit to prominent in the mix, I think I'd build it a bit more gently till its a full blast by the middle. And I think I might have a little more dynamics in terms of arrangement, maybe strip a verse back to the intro style later on to introduce a little light and shade.
However these are small points, going to have another play.
Classy and pro sounding
 :) :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 09:28:36 PM »
Don't we all wish it was June hey Alan. I really liked this. You spin a good story with the lyrics and for me there was a lot of drive to it. Its quite an upbeat number from yourself.  I got a sort of early Springsteen vibe from this. You are a master at this type of song. Sax stuff is exceptional. Hats off to you for being able to play one of those beasts. I had clarinet lessons at school which is pretty surprising for a comprehensive in inner city Coventry in the 70s but could never quite get the reed right. I know that all songs are very personal but I'd love to have a shot at a rocked up remix with some dirty guitar and some wailing bv's. Let me know if you're into that. Cracking stuff

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 03:11:41 AM »
Hi Alan
Wish it was freakin' June - dealing with minus 15 ATM. Brrr  :D :D
This smooth sound warmed me up a bit though.
Lovely vocals as usual and I liked the chord change in the Part B sections (bridges?)
Seamlessly goes back to the verses too - well done.
The sax fits nicely here and like Vicky says shades of glen campbell  :D :D
Keep penning 'em  ;D
Paul

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 05:29:22 PM »
Yo Alan.

The song has the feel of Ralph McTell and David McWilliams.(Days of Pearly Spencer) Intimate and warm.

Cool sax work.

It's a lovely song which richly rewards repeated listens. It's one of those songs the listener feels they have always known. Your music tends to bring that familiarity. Neat trick.

Fine work as always Alan.  8)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 06:53:54 PM »
Excellent stuff. The banjo-batics and the sax are just ace (wasn’t expecting a sax either so that was an eyebrow-raising moment).
I thought your delivery, the phrasing and some aspects of the melody were very Dylan in this one.
There’s something very powerful about songs where the message is ‘I’m outta here’ isn’t there.
I really liked this. :)
It's all too beautiful.

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 12:59:10 PM »
It might be becasue I'm listening on a different set of headphones to usual but this doesn't seem to have quite the layer of polish as the recent productions I've heard.

Not a critiscism, just an observation...this has a ruggedness about it that I think fits the song.

Melodically and lyrically well crafted as usual from you.

The sax sounds great in it's own right but I'm in two minds at the moment as to whether it fits int he context of the track. It kind of feels like two worlds colliding. We've got that rugged, raw banjo led side and then the 80's power ballad sax. It might just be a stroke of genious that needs me to catch up.

I think it may be a combination of the sax and the lyrical storytelling/themes in your lyrics but I'm being reminded of  Bruce 'The Boss' Sprinsteen with this one.

Well done Monty.

Yodasdad

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 02:57:02 PM »
Unlike the other reviewers, I didn't think the sax worked. I love the mondolin, and I would be interested to hear a more bluegrass/country sounding solo, maybe with a fiddle instead. The sax made it more jazzy, which I didn't like, even though you obviously play it extremely well, and it obviously appeals to most of the other reviewers (so feel free to ignore my opinion). I thought you voice sounded great and liked the lyrics.

Lynn

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 04:29:20 PM »
My favourite of yours by a country ( :P) mile.

I think you would have knocked the lyrics out of the park with lines 3 and 6 of the verses rhyming too...quite an undertaking, I suppose...keeping the excellent story going too...although I doubt it's beyond you...it's very very good lyrically anyway...I just might have obsessed over it if I'd been on the ball enough in the first place to have written it.

Loved the drums and the kick that comes with them. Banjo was fab. Reminded me of a time on holiday when an Italian coach driver and an English tour guide had a heated argument on a heated coach with my wife very pregnant and very heated too. I got out of my seat, went to the front of the bus and "had a quiet word with them" as I walked back to my seat amid a stunned silence...a cockney fella said to me "ho ho, Geordie...I thought you were going to banjo the pair of them" As if  ::)

It didn't feel like the saxophonist had wandered into the wrong studio...which I'd have likely put money on after 30 seconds or so  ;D

Anyway...I really enjoyed this one, Alan.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 06:21:50 PM »
Alan,

your songwriting gets better and better.  You clearly have your own unique sound.  The instrumentation sounds great. I could imagine going to see your band play live and then walk away, having thoroughly enjoyed the evening.  This is simply delightful!  Sax is good but  wonder if it was really needed in the context of the rest of the instrumentation.

Paul

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 10:02:07 PM »
I just love that banjo is there @montydog !! It fits the song like a glove and stands out for me from an arraignment perspective.. Lovely song and as always, beautifully sung.. Very very slick production all around .. Sounds like a professional radio-ready song to me. Particularly like the last line pattern you've got going on (no idea what to call that! But I'm hoping you know what I mean)

Very fine and lovely work!

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 06:21:25 AM »
Hello Alan
Very good played and sung. Love the sax. You have that talent of storytelling. I always see the whole scenery wich about you are singing in your songs.
Thanks for sharing. Nothing to criticise.
Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

Furry61

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 01:32:05 PM »
Hi Alan, very nice imagery in the lyric, good vocal too as always. Can't really fault the song overall without being picky, so on that basis my only negative comment would be it is a little 'too' easy on the ear, maybe? Geoff

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 02:54:40 PM »
Hey Alan,

I always love how you arrange these songs of yours. They are very rich! Great stuff!

I enjoyed this mate! Great job! No nits.