Shhhh ! - Quiet Recording In Progress

• 12 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: January 07, 2019, 05:19:28 PM »
@skub raised an interesting point in a recent post about not being able to record through amps / pedals etc etc and I guess there's a few of us in the same boat. Would be interested to hear what everybody else does.

Personally, I record everything DI via a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and monitor with my KRK cans. I also record dry so I've got no effects on the guitar inputs when I record. I've really come to like this approach as I then apply generally Guitar Rig presets (some tweaked). If I decide to change the guitar / bass sound at a later stage it's dead easy to do.

Vocals are the problem though as I have to plan my time really carefully and there's never enough time  :(

I try and get my raw vocals takes done when I can and then use the time when I can't be noisy to concentrate on the mix

Anyway, be interesting to hear what other do  :)

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 06:59:50 AM »
That pretty much mirrors my process @pompeyjazz. I end up with many tracks waiting on vocals but rarely find the time when I can do them  :(

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 08:08:38 AM »
That also pretty much mirrors my general process as well @pompeyjazz

I do need to hear the amp sim as I am recording though to get the right "feel" so I will always record with a general clean or dirty tone that I send to my headphones so I can hear the effected tone - but I would normally change the tone (e.g. Use a different amp model or amp sim) after recording - and I love having this flexibility that modern recording offers

I love my KRK headphones but always use them in conjunction with my VRM box that gives the feeling of listening to speakers but most importantly it simulates different monitors and listening environments

I find this range of options is becoming more useful than checking a mix on speakers at it encourages you to mix and master to suit a range of environments rather than mixing to your own monitors/environment as the chances are it is less than perfect due to the effect of the room on the sound

I do have access to a pan acoustically treated Studio to check mixes but I feel I have "learnt" my system well enough to identify issues

One of the best "checks" of a mix is always to post it here for review as you will get a wider range or ears, headphones and listening environments checking it so can get a good feel for if the mix needs tweaking
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 08:47:12 AM »
Guitars - not owned a real amp for a good few years now, and fortunately the quality of amp sims these days means I get away with it. Tried many of them but for maybe five years now I have used Scuffham S-Gear which I truly believe to be the best for clean and overdriven tones. I’m glad I don’t have to worry about noise when playing the electric.

Vocals - I’ve learned that you cannot sing politely or have even 1% of self consciousness present. I listen to old recordings of mine and I can hear that 1% and it just sounds like I was singing, but I didn’t “mean” it. Best solution for me is to wait until I know there’s absolutely no one about.

I use Beyerdynamic DT100 headphones for the isolation needed for singing and acoustic guitar recording and AKG k702s for tracking other instruments and initial mixing. Again, it’s best to have the house to myself when switching to my monitors for mixing (iLoud Micro Monitors, brilliant in a small room where you have to sit close to the speakers)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 02:05:02 PM »
@Boydie : Is this the VRM box you mentioned?

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 02:37:12 PM »
Yes, that is it

By far the best "bang for buck" I have ever experienced

Unfortunately it is discontinued and doesn't work with USB3 - but I couldn't function properly without it so wouldn't hesitate recommending it and have done may times

I don't want to start a bidding war but if you use headphones I would definitely recommend sticking a bid in!!

WAVES now offer something similar (Waves NX) but I haven't tried this yet
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 03:23:00 PM »
Bidding war no problem. There are several for sale on eBay, new and unopened, and with "buy it now" prices. I think I'll get one of them. Thanks, @Boydie

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 10:17:47 PM »
There was one on Ebay in the UK for 10 quid today. As I'm such a tight ass. I googled VRM free vst and there is one. I had 10 mins with it tonight. The other 50 minutes of my music hour was taken up with reading the manual  :o Having worked with technology for all of my working life it still frustrates me  ;D 

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 08:17:27 AM »
Bought the fam new headphones for Christmas so they can be on Netflix / Fortnite etc oblivious to my wailing in the other room. Everyone happy!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 10:44:59 PM »
Yeah,it's a constant pain for sure. Looks like I'm not the only one!

I've had to learn to take opportunities when they present themselves,so like the rest of you,I work on what I can,then do the vocals later.

It has changed the way I write. I used to sit with a guitar and work songs out,now I just put down music and make a song later.

While I'm waiting,I try to stock up on lyrics for possible future use. This usually gives some cohesion to a song,rather than singing any old phonetic rubbish that fits,just because I need to get it done! Though,I have done that too.  :D

@Boydie (the enabler) :P banged on about KRK so much,I had to buy a set just to hear! He was/is right,they are a quality,neutral sounding piece of kit and much more comfy than my previous cans.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:46:47 PM by Skub »

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 08:57:19 AM »
Hello!

I'm using Studio One Artist 3, no VST ability, and the amp/cabinet simulators are worse than bad. I'm thinking about setting up my amp in the bedroom at low volume and run cables into the living room and have the computer and sitting and playing there. Just got to find my mic stand or improvise.

Vocals are not so hard, I just record them as far from the fridge/freezer as possible.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 04:24:38 PM »
...sussed...it's not a soundbooth it's an old phone box, 400kg, soundproofed, sorted...press button B, and mind that puddle in the corner.

8)

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 09:02:58 PM »
For recording electric, I am just stickiing a mic in front of the amp.