Songwriter Forum > Recording

What, exactly, is mastering?

<< < (2/3) > >>

pompeyjazz:
An excellent answer @Boydie Thanks for clarifying all this. It's been really useful

Boydie:
@CaliaMoko

--- Quote --- When I buy professional CDs and rip/play them, the album title, song title, and--I think--even the album cover will show up in my player on the computer. That's what I was hoping to make happen the next time I make a CD.
--- End quote ---

This is still very much possible by submitting to the online databases

You will need to do a bit of googling to check you have the most up to date info but I would suggest starting with the GRACENOTE database (sometimes referred to as CDDB) as it is the one used by iTunes - and is really easy to submit to via the iTunes software

Other databases worth looking up are ALL MUSIC GUIDE (AMG) and FREE DB

Don't give up as it looks like you are nearly there with what you want to achieve!!

cowparsleyman:
Very interesting to read, I have to admit that I try to keep the amount of mastering tinkering down to an absolute minimum, I try to get the mix as perfect as I can inside the DAW (I'm very very picky about that), and then the mastering stage just deals with maybe the loudness and fade out, I use Soundforge 11 for that.

The other thing is that it's way better to get the mastering done by someone else, as one would do when proof reading a book, but as there is a lot of capital invested in creating and mixing the song, one has to really trust the mastering engineer, McCartney used to even pick the guy that would cut the vinyl...

Usually if the mix is near enough right there shouldn't be too much to do at the mastering stage.

Hope this helps.

Rich

PaulAds:
Hi Vicki @CaliaMoko

I edited the tags individually for each song using the wav editor I use on my Mac. You can add name, date, etc  and lyrics too.

I think windows media player can do this as well. Basically you need to ensure that the master wav file that you submit to bandcamp or amuse or whatever distribution company you use contains all the relevant data...I think that if that's correct at source, it's most likely to retain the song information as it works it's way across the universe.

I don't use PC's...but there's a list of small free programs that might work for you here...

https://www.lifewire.com/free-tools-for-editing-song-information-2438490

if you're really stuck...let me know and I'll see what I can do.

rightly:
Good questions. 

And thanks a bundle Boydie! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version