Continent of You

• 16 Replies

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« on: January 03, 2019, 05:45:15 PM »
Hey guys! Sooo I have finished recording my 80s-inspired album and will be hopefully releasing it in the next few months. This is the last song I will post from it for feedback, and its something inspired by 80s alt-rock and post-punk like the Cure. It's quite simply a love song.

Lyrics:

Try to tell me something I don't want to hear
Something that will make me want to not be near to you
You are the rain on my window
You are a smudge on my heart

You are the one I want
You are the one I need
Yeah you shut down my inhibitions
You make me feel complete

When I met you I felt like I'd just been born
Like a flower opening up to the day
I had the time of my life
Discovering the continent of you

You are the one I want
You are the one I need

The city streets are just filled with you
Yeah you obscure every view
There are things that make life worth while
And you're the most important one of all

You are the one I want
You are the one I need

You are the one I want
You are the one I need

You are the one I want
You are the one I need
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:04:21 PM »
Lot of nice stuff going on in this song, no probs with your production that's for sure, thought in the first half your solo vocal sounded far away
and in the second half it became a little repetitive..but a lot of pop songs are so maybe I should shut up eh!!

good work though my friend..I'm being picky but that's how we get better..

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 10:40:36 PM »
You are a huge talent Jack and I admire all of the work you put into your songs and you obviously delve into back catalogues to get some ideas but this is uniquely you. If you hadn't mentioned The Cure then I would never have correlated this to them. You have a fabulous vocal range and might have to ask you to do some high end bv's for me at some stage. I could just envisage this on a Saturday night TV show about 20 years from now when I'm unlikely to be around but if I was you would have my attention.  Good luck with the album and keep us all updated on release etc etc. Top work again

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 09:02:10 AM »
A beautiful song Jack......this is really 80s

It does have hints of The Cure.

The la la la in the middle took me by surprise ....really love this, I think this could have been developed more.

Still loved the song though, a great listen.

Great title , clever drum ending.

(Hope this is a recent song that I'm reviewing ?)

Look forward to the album👏👏

Sandeep

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 09:41:09 AM »
I haven't heard anything of yours for a while now, and it's great to listen to you again.

I am personally struggling with a slightly barren spell of creativity at the moment, but when I listen to this - you make it all sound so effortless! I mean, surely anyone could write such a simple, catchy, BRILLIANT song - so easy eh? But of course, for most folk it really isn't. I really like the song, and would enjoy listening to your album when it arrives I am sure.

Makes me want to get up the stairs and write a new song right now - it's easy right? Ha ha - brilliant stuff Jack.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 10:39:59 AM »
Jack,
Love what you're doing with 4 chords.
Great bouncy energy with drums and squishy bass. And get the cure on the jangly guitars and neat solo.
But the best bit is when the synths underpin the vocals, it just lifts everything.
And then we get the the slightly mad massed vocals, and then dropped into the ending too.

Thoughts: just listening to the backing guitars in verse 2, with the echo they sound ever so slight out of synch around the 0.50 to 0.55 seconds, you may want to check it out. I really like the title but its not in the chorus so perhaps consider either 'You are' or 'Complete'?
Happy and uplifting pop, when will it be on the radio?
 :) :)
neil

songwriter of no repute..

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 01:20:24 PM »
Hello Jack,

I grew up as a teenager in the 1980's.  This has embraced the spirit of that decade.  I'd say it's musically leaning towards The Associates and Altered Images though I don't hear The Cure.  I love the choir section.  That's more  in keeping with Prefab Sprout from their excellent song 'The Venus of The Soup Kitchen' I spent  a lifetime trying to escape the influence of this decade - it wasn't really thought of as cool to be 80's sounding as I embarked on my musical journey but hey, that's just musical snobbery from the musicians in my home town.  It's refreshing to hear someone who wants to set their own musical goals and embrace a genre/decade of music that they are proud to be associated with.

By the way, the title is as cool as it gets!

Well done my friend

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 03:42:12 PM »
I especially love the song title....i actually expected more fleshing out of that image.

One hinky part for me was this verse

"When I met you I felt like I'd just been born
Like a flower opening up to the day
I had the time of my life
Discovering the continent of you"

Based in the job you did on the rest of the song, You are capable of a better vocal performance on this verse

Its a solid tune and a decent bit of writing. Good effort.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 03:44:08 PM by mikek »

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 03:57:07 PM »
Love the production style and it evokes the 80s well for those of us that remember it!

Found the song a little repetitive for my tastes. Recycling the melody for verses and chorus did ware a bit by the end, and my brain wanders off because I think I've heard all the interesting stuff by now.

Love the breakdown with the gospel style vocals though, that was awesome, just so short! I would have made that longer.
Impressive work for sure.

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 04:00:48 PM »
The tune has bored a little hole in my noggin. Sir, I believe you have an earworm on your hands

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 03:23:38 AM »
Hi Jack
Forgot how good you sing man - love the vox.
Very hooky melody esp the chorus.
Shame the title couldn't be in a melodic hook, but doesn't always have to be I guess.

Sure captures the care-free 80's IMO. ;D ;D
Paul

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 06:00:53 PM »
Yo Jack.

I read the title as 'Incontinent of you'.  :D When I read it correctly,it conjured images of 'Yo Mamma' jokes,so I can't win with this one!  ;D

The song grabs my ears from the opening bars and relentless pounds it's catchy message right until the end. Kinda reminds me of Scissor Sisters style.

Vocals are great,as always.

Big hair and big collars,it's all here!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 06:14:56 PM »
You go for the jugular with that repetitive chorus Jack and then attack time and again relentlessly. It is very catchy indeed and I think it's modern enough not to be thought of as simply a retro tribute to the 80s.

The vocal performance is really strong and it's an all round entertaining pure pop track that will be a real winner on your album! Good work!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 09:49:43 AM »
@jacksimmons - So good to hear your woprk again Jack, nice to know the house is all sorted, and that you got your studio back together.

Really dig this song, Thought the clever use of shadowing the gtr with the Vox at the beginning, then the Strings doing that job, Yeah, as someone else said, I can hear the Associates in there, 80's for sure, the vocal thing @1:47 you could lose the acoustic gtr.

@2:23 the strings were too high masking the lead Gtr, if you can get a eBow, that might enhance the '80's feel of the Gtr in that section.

Liked the Vox coming in @2:50 that was very effective, think the drums could have faded before the Vox and left the Acapella going.

Very nice production.

You do have a knack for creating very hooky, riffs, that's worth a lot of wallop...

Good luck with the album jack.

Hope this helps

Rich

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 12:20:22 PM »
Very infectious as ever and has 80s all over. The gospelly bit really works well. I would probably say that lyrically it could be a bit more coherent - the “continent” is a cool idea and might be “explored” more maybe. Though I totally get the obsessive love idea which can also come out in different pervasive and not necessarily thematic ways!

Definitely now curious to listen to the album all through!