Mr Fogg

• 26 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: January 01, 2019, 08:37:42 AM »
A very Happy New Year to all of you on the forum  :)

Mr Fogg is a fictional character who lives in a fantasy land that bears no resemblance to the real world.

Can you tell us what's for dinner Mr Fogg ?
Can you tell us what delights are on the hob ?
Spaghetti hoops and oven chips really make me lick my lips
I even saved a little for the dog

Do you laugh aloud when eating with your friends ?
With your Chateaubriand steak extremely rare
Oh I wish I had a cartridge to serve you with your partridge
We'll donate the waste and eat it from the bins

These things they never really matter
It's just endless chatter, chatter, chatter – Oh

Do you really want to starve us Mr Fogg ?
As you baffle us with educated smog
You find it hard to hide us so conquer and divide us
Another step towards your perfect job

Can you tell us what's for dinner Mr Fogg ? Oh no

(c) Bradley – 2018

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 09:53:52 AM »
What a belter  :)

And a great listen to start my new year.

Super melody and vocal with a brilliant Lennon-inspired vibe that the man himself would have been proud of. The lyrics are great...witty and cutting with a playful kick in the knackers for the ghastly, cynical, manipulative, self-serving swamp lizard (c)ruling classes.

Some people write stuff that's so good that it makes me feel like I'm wasting my time, but you write stuff that is so good it makes me feel like there's nothing better to do with your time than writing some songs.

You're quite rightly massively respected around the forum...but I still don't feel you get the credit you deserve.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 10:23:24 AM »
You've recreated a bit of a Beatles vibe here haven't you @pompeyjazz , circa Sgt Peppers era? Nice bit of muscle to the track but a very playful musical mood all the same and interesting offbeat lyrics you seem to knock out so well. The mid break bit certainly adds a cool contrast and I like that 'chatter' vocal treatment.

Entertaining start to the New year from you sir!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 11:21:26 AM »
Yes very Beatley though I didn't think of them first.....something sixties and English...the Move perhaps. Lyrically hits that sort of thing too.
Love the breakdown.

You are productive John! How do you manage to get so much done. More to the point how do you manage to keep so motivated without losing heart!

Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 12:24:49 PM »
Whato @pompeyjazz - i love this track really clever and well executed, and a lot of work!!

My only idea was to have a mcCartney type piano, you have all the right abbey road plugins to get that sound, just drop an electric guitar and make space for the Lady Madonna-esque joanna,... just an idea.

One of your best, do you use track spacer?

Regards

Rich

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 12:53:20 PM »
John,
Lots to like here. I started to read the lyrics and heard the opening and though of Madness or even the Kinks. Then the musics kicked in and you've got your Lennon on. :-)
Sharp lyrics, liking the tinkling guitar,  and the vocals just right.
I think it would be a real crowd pleaser live.
Put a big :) on my face. Thanks a lot for sharing.
 :)
Neil 
songwriter of no repute..

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 01:28:42 PM »
Love the relaxed pace of this @pompeyjazz - or lazy in a good way :).. I completely agree with the Sgt Peppers refs - hit me immediately. I just love the whacky lyrics.. Setting the scene for some more quality stuff from you in 2019! Happy New Year to you!

K

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 10:12:25 PM »
Yo pomps.

Ya old anarchist!  :D

You do realise when Mister Mees-Rogg is the boss of all you commie types,he'll have oiks such as thee polishing his brass? And you'll jolly well like it.  :o

The opening bars were very Floyd,then it went full pomps,who we now know invented the Beatles.  :)

Great stuff John,you are never afraid to let your influences show,yet you are endlessly inventive in both topic and musical content. A powerhouse,you are man.  8)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 10:58:26 PM »
Ok all, I guess I need to let you know a bit more about the background to this one. About six months ago I'd watched and read a few (more) things about The fans, I had watched the C4 film about how the Imagine album was recorded. I started pissing about with a Beatles cover version as I was interested in how Lennon did his vocals and then @PaulAds did a version of it Live with pink lights and everything  :) That inspired me to work on the cover again to see if I could use those techniques
Listen to You're Gonna Lose That Girl (Beatles Cover) by pompeyjazz #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/ygltg/s-fV2J8

Then on Boxing day morning I got this JRM lyric feel and a couple of walks later I was good to go. I actually can only devote 1 hour a day to recording but got this one done and dusted in about 3 hours. Motivation wise, I'm kicked every day but dust myself down the next morning and always get inspired by something

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 06:29:55 AM »
As others said it reminds on the beatles or JL what could be good or bad. This is only your decision. Was a pleasure to listen too. Nice work mate.
Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 08:49:26 AM »
Superb track John.
Others have said it, but I was also put in mind of ‘Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite’, although it’s by no means a rip-off. Lovely production touches, especially on your voice. And the chord sequence is great - weirdly sinister, which fits the subject matter. One of your best, which is saying something. Astonishing you can crank stuff like this out, by yourself, in 3 hours. Not that I’m jealous or anything...  >:(
It's all too beautiful.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 08:58:18 AM »
John mate  ;D what are you on? ;D and can I have some? ;D ;D
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Orange Mississippi

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 09:28:35 AM »
Hi I thought Beatles as soon as I heard it / it might be a grower , good fun write ,

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 03:17:01 PM »
Hi John,

I'm also getting the Beatles vibe, especially when the chorus comes after 2 minutes and like the Beatles you fuse two different songs together....very clever.

Great Lyrics John excellent playing ....of all those instruments.

For the benefit of @pompeyjazz this is excellent

Love it (FYI my son is dancing in the background)

Sandeep

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 05:41:37 PM »
I'm getting the Lennon vibe from this, your voice certainly has a touch of John about it.

Love the lyric (if I am reading between the lines right ;)). Seems like the situation in the UK is making the political songs seep out a bit. I'm expressing myself that way too at the mo.
Musically the production is really effective, especially on those vocals. I found the pace a little slow, felt it needed to be a touch faster, so the syllables come out intact without being to separated. I think you could speed it up and still get the lazy behind the beat(les) vibe.

Super work as always!