avoid being at the top

• 18 Replies

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« on: December 30, 2018, 08:04:17 AM »
It would be good if there was a way to do the thank you post without it putting the song back to the top of the first page...I always feel a bit guilty when I thank peeps (which is definitely a requirement) and the post goes back to the top...seems like a sneaky way of getting the post back to the top..LOL

could anything be done?  maybe a button that says..keep post where it is... :) :)

Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 09:35:55 AM »
Folks like yourself (and the vast majority of folks here) who make a great contribution shouldn't feel in any way self-conscious about responding even if it means bumping the post to the top. It's absolutely not a problem from my perspective, as it's clearly not the primary objective.

It's quite clear when the handful of people who do that...er...do that. They might get a quick sugar-rush from seeing their post sitting at the top again...but ultimately, they're eroding the good will that is likely to be extended towards them from me.

My ha'penny's worth.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »
Can't say I've noticed any strategic thanking going on here - but maybe I'm just a bit slow :)!

It's part and parcel of forum life I think - you gotta bump the odd time to thank those who've taken the time. 

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 03:00:14 PM »
I had previously considered this - but I do think the "thank you" bump is an important part of the forum to allow a song to legitimately move back up the list

I have not instigated a formal "rule" but the people that put a thank you after each post do have the potential to be accused of simply "bumping" and mods have intervened in the past if this has been abused

The general etiquette seems to be waiting until at least 5 people have commented before putting a "thank you" post with general comments/replies to previous posters - I think @montydog is a good example of doing this

The exception is if someone asked a specific question or makes a specific point about the song that the OP wants to respond to immediately

It is hard to write a definitive rule/guideline but I would be very happy to include something pending the discussion in this thread
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 03:11:06 PM »
I feel that thanking people for their comments is very important, and I think the song should go back to the top, (as long as its not abused), as this gives a chance for others who may not see it to give their opinions, once the thread starts to disappear down the page some might not see it and the o/p might miss out on some valuable advice.

Cheers, Mikey

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 04:02:46 PM »
I tend to wait until it's all over so to speak before I do any thanking so, as long as it's no problem for anyone I will continue on that track..wasn't suggesting anyone was doing strategic thanking... :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 04:25:57 PM »
I tend to wait until it's all over so to speak before I do any thanking so, as long as it's no problem for anyone I will continue on that track..wasn't suggesting anyone was doing strategic thanking... :) :)

I think that is exactly the right approach - and the little bump may also get a bit more interest in the song
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 05:15:47 PM »
I don't see a need for any rules beyond what we already have regarding bumping and thanking (or thanking and bumping). I have never waited a specific number of posts, though I may start doing that (if I ever manage to post any more songs...). In the past, [I think] I've waited a "few" posts or days, whichever came first, before doing my thanking. I really haven't put a lot of thought into it. I do want to be more mindful, in general, though, so this will go on my "mindful list".

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 07:35:21 PM »
Another music forum I frequent has a "like" function that allows one to like a post without bumping it. Its hardly a proper thank you though.

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 12:49:39 PM »
I've had this dilemma just recently cause a song of mine I posted in September has crept back up to the top of the forums. So I will take this opportunity to thank @Cawproductions @Martinswede @fischermans @MonnoDB @Movin Flavour and @Skub for their feedback on She's In Deep. But would feel a little wrong bumping that thread from a few months ago now.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 01:31:56 PM »
I do feel self-conscious about the "thank-you bump" myself. But I also feel that it's important enough to say "thank you" to risk irritating those who may see it as a cheap ploy.
Just occurred to me that... maybe a private message might work as an alternative?
Kind of like a little personal thank you note, as my mamma always taught me to write when receiving a gift.

Thoughts?

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 02:01:24 PM »
I just replied to some feedback with private messages and, honestly, it felt a little weird to do it that way.
But, I do want to acknowledge the feedback.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 04:45:37 PM »
At the risk of possibly repeating myself (or somebody), I don't see a problem with bumping a post to say "thank you" for feedback, even if it's been awhile. It isn't like the boards are being swamped with these kinds of posts. I occasionally notice someone posting a "thank you" immediately after every single instance of feedback, but I suspect someone then mentions the guidelines, because it doesn't seem to continue as a chronic problem.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 05:31:02 PM »
Yeah,what Vicki said.

Sometimes we overthink things.

I'm gonna post and I'm gonna thank,I don't have any agenda.  8)

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 07:46:13 PM »
Yep, in my experience thankfully it’s a not an issue 99.9% of the time on the forum.