Songwriter Forum > The Writing Process

Imagine My Surprise

<< < (2/4) > >>

pompeyjazz:
It's an absolutely brilliant brutally honest song @PaulAds . You've laid your heart on the line which for a songwriter is perhaps the most daunting thing to do. I haven't got all the way there yet but I think that self expression opens up a new dimension. Shit, this is a song that I related to immediately. I'm going to agree with Davy on the comments regarding self expression. My songs are listened to by very few people but that kinda makes me more inspired to write some more stuff.  Your songs are always heartfelt, genuine, clever and full of real world stuff and that's what I personally like to listen to  :)

PaulAds:
Aw...thanks, folks! You're all very kind. I really appreciate you visiting this dusty corner of the forum and taking the time to indulge me in my self-inflicted mini-mope  ;D

Lovely sentiments from you all which really means a lot to me.

Oddly enough...I think that I've sort of stumbled into something I really like where I could post a song that is maybe too much its own thing to want to get involved in the swirling cauldron that is the "finished songs" section...

Thanks again!

Ps I'm ok y'know. I'm always ok. Realistic...but ok!

adamfarr:
Uncomfortable, maybe, but in life as in songwriting, I think a lot of us are right there. I once went on social media and admitted to being less than 100% confident and rosy, what a mistake that was.

I've had quite a few of those looks and more or less covert whispers. So much so that most of last year I produced nothing musical (on the basis that I was convinced I wasn't capable of producing anything musical). You may remember my self-censorship issue as well...

I've got to the stage of not caring (temporarily). I also get the thing about the "Finished Songs". The expression and creation should be (and are) the reward in themselves; but sometimes communicating something to even one other person may - unbeknown to the creator - go beyond that.

Thanks for putting this up after all this time - I think it is a proof of the value of this place and how different it can be from most of the internet.

pompeyjazz:
You keep going @adamfarr You are a huge talent that deserves to be heard. I think that probably the majority of us guys on here have been where you have been. It's a thankless business and whatever we produce it's almost like we're novelty acts with a harmless hobby that occupies more of our time than it should do. I do post some of my stuff on social media but I can guarantee you that I would get zillions more responses if I posted a picture of my dogs (I've tried it !) Unfortunately that world is generally a bag of (rude word that rhymes with tank). I love this forum (most of the time) as I've met some wonderful people who have encouraged me and if they hadn't I would have given up long, long ago. Never give up man  :)

adamfarr:
Thanks @pompeyjazz - was really intended to express my appreciation of @PaulAds 's post but came out as a rant about my personal feelings. But then if Mrs @Skub thinks she is dealing with a silly man hobby I don't even want to think where the rest of us stand...
The proportion of awesome people on this forum is spectacularly high.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version