Low On Gasoline

• 17 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: December 19, 2018, 01:45:40 PM »
This one came floating along yesterday and I then forgot the melody and the rhythm.  I sat down last night and played a 3/4 time fingerpick and then captured at least the mood of the original melody.  I suppose I wrote this because I had been out celebrating my birthday and then the following day, started to feel a little flat . That’s when I thought  about my children and my home town.  That led to a reflection on a number of significant life events that didn’t quite go to plan.  Anyway, I’m ok, just feeling a little melancholy like many songwriters are prone to doing so.  The song is complete though I might add the band instruments in the new year.  I’ll address the delay on the vocal too but for now, I present Low on Gasoline.”

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/low-on-gasoline

Low on Gasoline

After 52 years and my fair share of tears,
I am humbled  by the things that I have seen.
I was the second of three. 'twas my wish to be free
now the engine's running low on gasoline.

Yeah, I could put the ball in the net,
kiss  the girls then forget.
I could wait with balance and poise
amidst all of the noise

To the loved ones I've  lost,  I'm still  counting the cost.
Does it matter if we're good or if we're mean?
To the friends who have gone, I've been driving  along 
but the engine's running low on gasoline.

kiss the girls then forget.
amidst all of the noise
The engine's running low on gasoline.

We were standing in the doorway whilst their hands released confetti.
We raised children from our marriage 'til  the horses lost their carriage.

kiss the girls then forget.
amidst all of the noise

After 52 years and my fair share of tears, I am humbled  by the things that I have seen;
running low on gasoline.

Written by Paul Vasey Decrmber 2018

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/low-on-gasoline
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 05:53:19 PM by Wicked Deeds »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 03:29:00 PM »
Kind of a somber/sweet...I remember the impact of turning 50. Every age prior to 50 was fine. I was always surprised by how young I still was, considering how old I had always considered all those ages to be--before I got to them myself.  ;D  So I was blind-sided when 50 hit me so hard.

Anyway, I have little in the way of nits for this one. I believe the only thing I would do differently is in the first verse. I would remove the word "that". It's completely unnecessary and, it seems to me, the rhythm would work fine without it. I would group the phrases like this:

I am humbled
by the things I
have seen.

Just my thoughts and opinions.

Vicki

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 05:20:49 PM »
You seem to have a lot of regrets..so sorry about that...the song is very sad but very charming..lots to like. never noticed anything wrong with the vocal in the delay dept..sounded ok to me.
I don't think the song needed the middle 8..didn't work for me personally..

best and I wish you well mate, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 05:52:12 PM »
Hey Vicki and Kevin,

thanks for your comments.  I've been listening to this quite a lot today, doing my own appraisal of what works and what doesn't.  Like you Vicki, I picked up on one or two phrases that weren't quite right.  I didn't want to record the whole vocal again so I made some tiny adjustments.  Essentially, I had to get some of the words to sit within the framework of 3/4 fingerpicking ad I believe I have done that now.  Perhaps I'll go back to the the word 'That' when/if  I record the full vocal again.  I don't mind getting older.  It's part of the natural order of life.  Still when December arrives and it is Christmas time, I start to think about people who are no longer here.  After my birthday celebrations, I started to think about my recent divorce and how that brought several relationships to an abrupt end.  I've avoided that topic for such a long time but it's difficult now that I live in a different town away from my family.  I guess this simply had to be expressed.  Anyway, I promise to present something upbeat in the future. :-)

Paul

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 06:14:07 PM »
Nothing wrong with sad songs (well, I guess that’s what I tell myself:-)!). This is a lovely, deeply-felt song. I love the stripped back nature of it. The ‘low on gasoline’ Lyric works very well. I’m guessing I’m hearing a version with your edits in, and I heard nothing I didn’t like in the vox and phrasing. I will agree that the m8 didn’t work as well for me. Truly lovely song @Wicked Deeds !

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 07:03:53 PM »
Hi Paul @Wicked Deeds

Great lyrics, really poignant and tells the story well, nice that its stripped back with some nice guitar picking. Good vocal but a tad too much reverb for me, but thats just personal taste, a good listen.

Cheers, Mikey

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 09:30:32 PM »
Really enjoyed this one @Wicked Deeds Paul. Very melancholy and contemplative.  It works damn well as it is but I guess you've got some ideas as to what you do with it instrumentally in the new year. I actually really liked the M8. Lovely switch of chords to ones that I could never tell you the name of but know how to play. There's probably a Dm augmented diminished with an added 7th in there  :) Another quality song from you Paul.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 10:16:59 PM »
@MonoDB,

Yeah, this is a version with my edits.  At times, I'm so very honest when write.  This makes me feel very uncomfortable.  I think I'm at my best when I become more creative by choosing a topic or creating a theme to write around that has nothing to do with me. I then weave my own feelings into the songs, based on my experience and emotions.  Sometimes, like now, I love a song like this one but it is too close for comfort.  Thank you for your kind words.

Paul

@Mikey

Yeah, I agree about the reverb. A little too much I think. I just wanted to try something a little different to my usual approach.

@pompeyjazz,

I used to know my music theory inside out but life took over and to my shame, I let it slip. I studied an Advanced diploma in music, took my grades 5 theory and then let it go.  I also studied th RGT grades for acoustic guitar though I didn't take the exams associated with the books.  Maybe one day, I'll refresh my musical studies.  The chords in question, which, I had to look up are: Bob maj 9 G m7add4. C#7 addb5/G#.  Try  the last one. It is an absolute beauty! :-). Really pleased that people are warming to this song as it is at times more than a little uncomfortable to lay my soul bare in this fashion.

Thanks

Paul
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:50:54 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 10:51:16 PM »
Paul,
Lots to like here. simple delivery allows the delicate lyrics and melody the room to breath.
great hook too.
one of my favourites of yours
classy
 :) :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 08:20:59 AM »
Really like the guitar arpeggio, which is a good thing as I think it was unchanged throughout the song.

When the vocal came in it had a lovely clarity but for me was too loud in comparison to the guitar. To my ears it masked the guitar throughout. I know the vocal is the focal (can you tell I've been working on lyrics) but I would consider balancing the volume a little more and probably eq'ing the guitar and or vocal so that they're not sharing the same frequencies as much. I nearly sound like I know what I'm doing don't I?!

The song itself, loved it. Yearning, heartfelt and borne out of experience.

Only other observation I would make, not that it makes any practical difference, is that neither the finger picking or the song appear to be in 3/4. I would propose that it is in 12/8 (4 beats per bar, subdivided in to 3's)

Nice one Wicked.

Yodasdad

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 01:02:33 PM »
The kicking that we take all throughout our lives makes us the people we are...and though I wish we could all have the kind of lives that people advertising bladder-problem rectifying underwear seem to have...life has made you a very impressive, kind and thoughtful chap. Your songwriting, playing and singing is of the highest quality. It if were all plain-sailing, you couldn't be the man you are today.

This is lovely. Makes me sad to think you've been through the wringer. Have a great christmas, my friend and take good care of yourself.

If I knew your address, I'd send you a petrol station voucher.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 08:49:07 PM »
I thought the title was good....before I even listened.

Excellent acoustic guitars.

Thought provoking and reflective lyrics.

A good listen

Sandeep

Pineapple Head

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 10:12:26 AM »
I thought this was really beautiful. The key pushes your vocals into a higher register which makes your voice a little crackly. This really works in synergy with the lyrics and theme of being a broken man.

The childhood glories are a great foil to the adult realities. The chords are really clever and ethereal and provide the perfect framework for the haunting lament.

Some strings coming in on verse 2 and this could be epic in an understated way.

Really amazing , heartfelt somgwritimg. I really enjoyed this little gem and hope it delivers some peace for you , if even just for a little while.

PH

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »
Hi Paul,

It's not the turning 50 that's the problem - it's the fact that it very quickly becomes 51, then 52 and before you know what's happening, you're closer to 60  ???

This is self evidently a song of the very highest quality which I can completely relate to. Your lyrics reward repeated and close listening - this is not background music and very often the true qualities take a few listens to reveal themselves.

You've used quite a few well worn rhymes but the gasoline one is the really clever rhyme that no one expects and what sticks in the mind.

Super songwriting, playing, singing ,production and mixing.

M

Inanité_sonore

• Open Mic
    • Black Gift Bandcamp
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 10:20:09 PM »
Hello,

It's a very good song. The voice interpretation is sincere, which is very important ! I like the minimalism of the accompaniment. There may be a bit too much reverb but it's not that inconvenient for me.

See you,

IS
IS

My project "Black Gift" :
listen the album and buy CD & vinyl :
https://blackgift.bandcamp.com/releases

Listen :
https://soundcloud.com/black_gift/tracks

Inanité Sonore Records :
https://soundcloud.com/user-24297189