Overspill

• 14 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: December 18, 2018, 12:36:02 AM »
Hi,
Last song posting of the year is one I co-write with a lovely guy called Andy. Lyrically it was his story about trying to deal with stress at work.  I effectively 'interviewed' him to create the lyrics and then I wrote the music.

Anyway it was a fair bit of fun getting the track down and hopefully its all paid off.

Look forward to your comments and thanks in anticipation

:)
neil

https://soundcloud.com/neilconnor-2/overspill-mix-11-nov-2018

Overspill

There's a diary I wrote and then burnt
To make peace with my heart
It held all the words that I'd written
To stop me from falling apart

At the end of the day, in black and white
A journal of thoughts and my plans
Didn’t do what it should have done
Like building on shifting sands

I was pouring water into a pint
Spinning out of control
It didn’t matter how much I’d write
Life in overspill
Overspill, Overspill

I needed a break, to reawake
And to settle my soul
To uncover and to rediscover
To start to make me whole

Still the flames took the pages, one by one
And then they sent them away
Like curses they flew to the darkened skies
From my eyes, day by day

I was pouring water into a pint
Spinning out of control
It didn’t matter how much I’d write
Life in overspill -
Overspill, Overspill

Roberts/Connor c 2018
songwriter of no repute..

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 09:58:01 AM »
@Neil C,

Lots of space in this production.  The guitars are a highlight for me - nicely considered with lots of restraint.  Good to hear the backing vocals in there too.  Lead guitar brings an extra colour to the overall production.  I note that this is followed by a lovely tasteful organ and then a stripped back section to provide excellent dynamics.    Fine songwriting and production. 

Paul

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 03:58:09 PM »
I'm gonna agree with Pauls comments and add that I think it's a little bit too slow and the snare seems wrong for the song...it's a sort of big spacey thing..maybe a tighter sounding snare..maybe :)
the overspill chorus is good and underused IMHO...
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 06:58:26 PM »
Hi Neil

Great story to this, and the lyrics tell the story well.

Agree with the drum sound, I think its very Roomy, a bit heavy rock esque, I would have gone with a sidestick or rim maybe, Just my taste.

A couple of things troubled me, The very beginning of the OVERSPILL bit sounds troubling, like one of the vocals is tad out of tune, drums are LOOOUUUD.
I think the tempo is ok but maybe the drum patterns could be a little more complicated to give a sense of faster BPM.

Liked the ending section with the solo guitar, thats section has a nice balance.

All of the above is purely my opinion tho dude, and its your track. Good job we aren't all the same, life would be dull.

Great song tho and hope tells your friends story well.

Top work Neil

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 09:05:50 PM »
Good tune Neil.

Very clever lyrics... Pouring water into a pint

My favourite parts were the Chorus and the great guitars that you are playing.

I tried to think which genre/ era that this reminded me of  and I thought of some of the songs from Wing's Band on the Run. There were some great ballads + guitars on this album, and this song could sit among them.

A good listen, thanks.

Sandeep

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 09:59:25 PM »
Hi Neil. I think the idea of the industrial sounding snare is a clever touch but the drums do seem to be slightly overpowering. It's a minor tweak for sure. I love the 12 string runs and there's a fabulous melody and wonderful guitar solo going down. I thought it was excellent but would love to hear it with the drums taken down a notch. Of course all personal taste blx stuff Neil so please ignore me if you so desire  :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 04:00:10 AM »
Great piece of songwriting guys :) Well written lyrics and great chorus. And of course the production is Ace :)

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 07:37:18 AM »
Very good song and nice lead guitar.
I would think about if the drum can be much faster to give this song a drive forward. But the is may only me.
Merry Christmas Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »
Hi Neil,

It's not often that I take issue with the instrumentation/mix of your songs but for me the drums are too loud, the drum sound is too stadium rock for an intimate song and they need to be playing double time or a more complex pattern to drive this along. Aside from that it's a good song and a nice marriage of lyrics and singing/production. Great solo, lovely 12 string playing as ever.

M

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 06:19:08 PM »
12-string is lovely as is that guitar break. Great theme and the lyrics really work.. as does the theme. It’s a catchy chorus too.. drums didn’t bother me I have to say. Expectations as I read the comments maybe :-). Lovely song @Neil C

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 12:49:05 AM »
top marks
dont know if my speakers are set up wrong but i love the mix
whacky and wonderful.. arrangmnt just keeps evolving ..
brilliant chorus, eccentric & warped like xtc
agree with the wings comment..
think its the abbey road gtr and yellow submarine snare that does it..
love it
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 09:28:34 AM »
Reminds me of XTC which is a Very Good Thing.

I always think of the intro to "Crossroads" when I hear a 12-string picking a couple of notes on the lower strings  :)

I love the way that it does its own thing. It isn't trying desperately to impress...and cynically dragging the song in a particular direction just to achieve that end.

Like Ray Davies...you sound quintessentially English. Which, to me, is another very good thing.

I enjoyed its quirky touches a lot. Lyrics are really great too.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 11:09:08 AM »

Thanks everyone, some pretty consistent feedback re the drums! Must clean my ears out...

Wicked Deeds "fine songwriting and production" - I thanks you for that feedback, really good to here

shadowfax, pleased you liked the chorus and changed the kick and altered the drum mix, thanks you.

Cawproductions, taken on board the feedback on the drums and pleased you liked the story

Movin, thanks well I have a certain guilty pleasure for 70's music and happy to let it run free

pompeyjazz, re feedback on the drum mix, noted and applied. And yes I had some fun with teh 12 string, doubling up both electric and acoustic in stereo. The slide outro was a bit harder, lord knows how many takes that took. Quite a few from my recollection. Slide is rather hard, especially in normal tuning.

cs, thanks you for your lovely feedback and hope you are doing well

fischermans, thanks for your feedback and glad you liked it. I'd have to think about trying it faster, I'd envisaged it being a fairly slow but with some drive

Montydog, re drums, thanks for your honest feedback I have toned them down a bit although I do like a fair bit of omph from my rhythm section!

MonnoDB - thanks for the listen and your encouraging comments

nooms, "brilliant chorus, eccentric & warped like xtc" :-)  interestingly I've been listening to a lot of Lindsey Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac so that was part of my musical map on the chorus with the toms. The production and arrangement clearly pay homage to the Beatles too!

PaulAds, "I love the way that it does its own thing" really fabulous feedback

songwriter of no repute..

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 06:10:10 PM »
Yo Neil.

The song topic is a relevant one for many folk trapped in demanding,yet unfulfilling job roles. Very concise lyrically.

You always get a lovely guitar tone on your variety of axes. The 12 sounds lovely.

The solo has a warmth and depth a lot of overplayers could learn from. Sweet technique bro.

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 10:24:20 PM »
Oh wow, this is what it's all about. absolutely love this. You know i'd love to hear a faster and more rock version, that amazing chorus is screaming out for it.