konalavadome

Imaginary Friends

• 18 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: December 16, 2018, 05:37:35 PM »
Wow ! It's time for the last song submission of the year already. It seems this year has gone incredibly quickly again.

This one is about the dreaded "D" disease  :(

I would like to say a huge thank you to all on the forum for your help, support and friendship over the last year  :)

All the very best

John  :)

Imaginary Friends

Your imaginary friends, with whom you spend your time, exchanging odds and ends
You've become the best of friends and spend a lot of time, until it never ends
You set the table, invite them round for dinner, sharing the best of times
Your imaginary friends are waving you goodbye

Some imaginary friends, just seem to eat your time and drive you round the bend
When they're leaving you behind, you sit at them and stare, and glaze into their eyes
At six o'clock, the key turns in the lock and someone is standing there
No imaginary friend, a world without a care

All of this world there are problems
Let's see if we can work it out
Oh We've got to do it
Oh yes we must

Your imaginary friends, with whom you spend your time, exchanging odds and ends
You've become the best of friends and spend a lot of time, until you meet again
You set the table, invite them round for dinner, sharing the best of times
Your imaginary friends are waving you goodbye

(c) Bradley - 2018

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 06:16:12 PM »
So...who could write a song about dementia, well it just so happens that you seem to be able to write a song about anything!! I'm lucky though, my imaginary friends do the production on my songs so no problemo LOL ;D hope your creative streak never ends John..

nice geetar break mate.

best, Kevin :)

Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 09:39:43 AM »
Hey John - lovely melody here and piano sometimes ominous and sometimes lighter, with lots of tension.

I wasn't too sure about the heavy chords in the first few verse lines, I think maybe fewer of them could work better.

Verses really interesting and honed. To me the "All of this world" part felt a bit in two minds: I was kind of expecting a really strong climactic moment or a slightly wild ad lib and ended up a bit of a mixture of both. Guitar solo was Harrison-esque, though, cool!

Impressive production, I think suited the subject really well.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 10:23:00 AM »
Yay!

We've had tne benefit of enjoying another years worth of inspiring stuff from you, Mr PJ...thanks!

This is pretty cool too... Wistful and slightly confused in it's outlook... A perfect setting for the subect. Your subjects are always fascinating and show an enthusiasm for understanding and exploration... which sounds a bit arty-farty but absolutely isn't.

Your friends are very real. You are a giant of the forum  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 11:39:39 AM »
Wow, this is like you've been asked to write an epic number for the likes of Robbie Williams, totally surprising. I like how, without an obvious chorus in the song structure, you have made the whole thing sound like a chorus, and the repeated 'imaginary friends' refrain becomes the punch.

And you are certainly knocking it out in that Mid 8!

Interesting subject matter inventively approached. An entertaining number to close a prolific year of songwriting for you, you've brought me much enjoyment with your diverse outpourings and irrepressible energy!  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 02:54:00 PM »
Beautiful, delicate, touching, tastefully done. This is really top drawer songwriting by anyone's standards. Loved the solo, and as always production is very strong.

John, I wish you all the best for Christmas and 2019. If I had one wish for 2019 it would be to be struck by inspiration as much as you!

Cheers

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 07:06:32 PM »
An emotive subject.

Clever lyrics.

Loved the piano playing and also thought the guitar solo was excellent.

Not sure about the drums rolls at the end, they were good, but not sure if they fit in the song.
An enjoyable listen.

Sandeep

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 07:30:37 PM »
Hi John,

Another Pompey classic, I really don't know how you keep turning them out so quickly and manage to keep up the quality, keep 'em coming

Cheers, Mikey

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 09:59:10 PM »
Great stuff Pompey,

Don't know if it was intentional but I was remind a fair bit of a little known band called 'The Beatles' during this, you might not have heard of them though.

You hit the high notes pretty well yourself in this.

You've masked the topic quite well with the lyrics but still kept it relevant.

Nice production as usually.

Well done and a Merry Christmas sir.

Yodasdad

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 07:31:00 AM »
Thank you so much all  :)

@shadowfax Kev - It seems that your imaginary friends have got their production chops sorted  :)

@adamfarr See what you mean about the M8 Adam - Glad you like the guitar solo, it was a Guitar Rig "George Harrison" amp preset  :)

@PaulAds Gee, thanks Paul, I was going for that wistful kind of wonky feel to this one so glad it came over - Always respect your feedback  :)

@MichaelA As long as Robbie Williams isn't singing it  ;D Really appreciate your listens and reviews over the year Michael. I could stick to a tried and tested formula but I do like to experiment - Variety and all that stuff  :)

@Bill Saunders Wow Bill, I'm absolutely knocked out - Thank you so much. All the very best to you and yours for a productive 2019 as well  :)

@Movin Flavour Cheers Sandeep - See what you mean about the drum rolls - I enjoyed working on the guitar solo on this one  ;D

@Mikey I don't know where they come from myself at times, I guess that's down to having had a long break from writing

@Yodasdad I haven't heard of that band - I'll have to check them out  ;D I guess it's impossible to not sound a bit like the music that influenced you in your early life. I just embrace that  :)

Thanks all once again

John

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 06:58:39 PM »
lovely intro and vocql melody thst takes some unexpected turns. A lityle Bond -like I think. such a cool track Pompey. I hear you growing as a singwriter with each new song.

Paul

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 12:09:09 AM »
Nice one John, I love it.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 12:45:08 PM »
Hey @pompeyjazz - I just loved this - lyric and subject matter aside, I really enjoyed the melody, delivery, instrumentation etc. Taking the lyrics into account, it raised it a to another level for me, as my mother has Alzheimers.. so very poignant and relevant for me and I just love how you handled it. Wonderfully done.... I expect this one won't leave me any time soon....

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 03:51:49 AM »
Great Fabsy-stuff PJ, very nice build throughout.  I like the piano (plodding along but in a very nice way) and the sweet guitar solo in particularly.
Lyrically too a very nice treatment - you've told us it is about dementia and that makes a lot of sense once you know it, but I also like the way you don't spell that out too bluntly in the lyrics (they are open to interpretation and it could be about anyone who is a bit of a dreamer or fantasist I thought).  A delicate and nuanced way to deal with a heavy subject matter I thought.
Have a great Xmas.
It's all too beautiful.

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 07:00:22 AM »
Very lovely melody and good lyrics. I like the song, the good production and the good vocal job. Nothing to criticise.
Merry Christmas Alexander
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 07:30:36 AM by fischermans »
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><