konalavadome

Black Friday Black Friday Black Friday Black Friday

• 24 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 11:47:37 AM »
Yes, the DSK ones are excellent as a starter - the sounds are a bit variable though some are surprisingly good. I have some Sonatina ones, the trumpet especially sounds good. They always need some playing with the settings and maybe eq etc.

+1 with the Air (I think it’s the same as Hybrid 3). Lots of sounds and I think cost £1...

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 03:36:41 PM »
I was in town, so I took advantage of some unlimited bandwidth and downloaded several DSK packages. We'll see what I can figure out with those.

Thanks!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 06:49:39 PM »
@Yodasdad I bought a cheapo plugin for £1.49 and downloaded Izotope elements for free. It doesn't have full functionality but it's one helluva product for a freebie. Watched a couple of vids and applied the functionality to a track and I'm good to go. Thanks for the tip. The offer is open until November 30th btw  :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 10:18:00 PM »
@CaliaMoko As Adam says, some of the dsk plugins are a bit weedy but with a bit of treatment they can be excellent additions to your songs. Anyway, have a play  :)

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2018, 10:07:10 PM »
Another freebie from Waves:

http://waves.com/lpn/cyber-monday-2018/free-plugin

Yodasdad

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2018, 10:26:27 PM »
@Yodasdad . Elements IS impressive but boy is it cpu intensive. I applied it to 8 tracks and it's bye bye computer. I was intrigued by what it could achieve but to my mind it kinda produced an almost too perfect mix and personally I like to work with my own mix style. I won't discard it though as I think it's a great tool especially for vocals and let's face It, they are always the trickiest to get in the mix  :)

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2018, 11:13:34 PM »
I haven't even had chance to play with it yet @pompeyjazz but I like the sound of it from what you're saying. CPU hungry eh? Maybe it's the excuse I need to save up for a mac pro ;D

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 08:34:34 AM »
@Yodasdad Bargain !
@CaliaMoko Try the DSK suite of instruments. There's strings, synth, choir, darkness....etc etc all free

My other big recommendation for a freebie is the Air instruments plugin. There is so much in there including brass, some killer synth and great beats as well. Last but not least try the Thorn synth. That is incredible. The trouble is that too many toys may distract you from your main objective to write songs. Anyway loads of quality stuff out there for free  :)

Spot on @pompeyjazz - Too many distractions spoil the mix.....

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 08:54:41 AM »
...however I did go for Soundtoys 5 and BFD3, (both half price) but the distractions continue...as Alan Whicker once said, going bankrupt saving a fortune!

It's kind of interesting to hear the Soundtoys fx, I already used Waves a lot, and was very happy with them, although some are quite hungry, Soundtoys are very high quality, but in my view completely different to Waves, so they compliment them.

At pluginboutique one gets rewards that you can spend toward other plugins, so I got Big Kick.

Big kick is a brilliant piece of work, so useful, especially for EDM.

I sold my MPX1 rack unit last year and missed the verb's like crazy on Vox, but not the noisey FX, so I'm right in there, only £26 from Thomann, plus the dreaded iLok3  (dreadlock?) - currently £31 from Amazon.

As for BFD3 - I got that tip from lower down in this thread, as was spurred on to try it as my drumming has always been a bit of beat, I have to say I'm considering selling my kit (but I do love playing it), this thing is brilliant, it's just fiddly to do some of those natty tricks that are easier done on a kit.

After all this upheaval, I'm really not distracted by all this new stuff, there's always a feeling that "I've got it now I must use it" but it's not like that with me, it's more I can use it when I need it now, for my next EDM song I'll be really sorted.

I can't praise the waves stuff enough, some are really brilliant, one just has to go very easy on the verbs especially, but the compressors are simply brill, some of the channel strips and tools are also top class, don't be fooled by their age,or rubbishing it because they are only £20 each, they'll sell more of these at $29 than at $250 as they used to do when they first came out.
Maxx Bass and LoAir are supreme at what they do, just don't ruin yer mix with em.

As for Izotope, I have Ozone, Neutron and Nectar Elements, and can't get on with the first 2 but the Nectar Elements is just fab for a quick Vocal fix, but avoid the auto tune like the plague! I'd rather use the waves comps |(CLA2) and channel strips (Sheps 73) to get what I want, use 2 auxs with Abbey Road Plate and Abbey Road Chambers save it as a fx preset and then I can use them anytime. Sweet. sound a ton better than the nectar elements, by that I mean less processed, less artificial, you just hear the Vocal clear and true.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 11:51:20 AM »
...the iLok arrived yesterday from the US, took only 3 days to get here...

Works perfectly and about £10 cheaper than in the UK.

It's a pain yes, but maybe an investment