konalavadome

Lets play a game 1962

• 52 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: December 14, 2018, 09:31:19 AM »
Whato

Here's the latest in my challenge to try to record different genres, mainly to improve my production.

As always I'd really appreciate any critique/ideas/nit picking etc.

The Dancerellas are at the Gaumont in Ipswich, It's 1962. You're 14, You go to see your first live concert. Your Dad takes you in his 10 yr old Austin.
You and your friend have the single that you've played every day on the Stereogram in the dining room, You've seen them in Melody Maker, and you adore what they wear and your secret scrapbook under your bed has all their photos in.

You have already asked your parents for a Pogo Stick for Christmas, that's the new craze,..

This is the single at that gig. You go to bed with your ears ringing but you can't sleep...Bounce bounce 20oz....

Lyrics

Intro

Verse 1
Let's play a game (What kind of game do you wanna play?)
I don't know
Football's on (Joe Montana)
Ballgame's on (Hanky Aaron)
So much on and nothing to do

Verse2
Hey, I got a brainwave,
Tell me more, tell me more alright I will
I got a pogo stick,Wow, that should do the trick
I got bouncing boots (Bouncing boots)
I got a a stick trick book (Dr Seuss)
So much on and something to do

Bridge
Pogo Stick? (Yeah that's cool)
Do you know any tricks?
Sure do you know the 180? (I heard about that)
Or the Beatle bounce? (Sounds cool)
or the 20oz? (Scherwing)
The Lindy Hop
The Dallas Bop

Alright lets go, get that thing and.......

Bounce, Bounce 20oz

Credits
Pam Barrett - Vocals, Hollas, Whoops, Beehive, slacks and '57 Chevvy
Pam Barrett & CPM - Lyrics & Vocals
CPM - Music, instruments, Production and greased back hair, cardigan and Wayfarers

Instruments
Stratocaster,Hammond B3, Farfisa organ, Telecaster, Precision bass, Gretsch Kit, Tambourine,

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 04:10:07 PM »
Yep!! sounds like 1962 for sure, so you got that right...also shades of the B52's..well done..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 05:20:01 PM »
@shadowfax - Thanks for the listen and the comments. Good to know I'm on the right track.

cpm

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 05:34:17 PM »
Yeah...great early '60s feel with a hint of the B-52s in there too.

I thought that it might be an idea to have the crowd noise going all the way through the track? Otherwise it perhaps sounds slightly like the start and the end of the track (bits with the crowd on) are separate from the main track?

I did something similar a while back and used an app called "livetunes" which - although it's a little bit "overkill" it works quite well, I think...https://soundcloud.com/thefuneralcrasher/a-live-ep

Just a thought - and sorry for the slight thread hijack - regardless of that, it's a good song...I loved the bass and the fun twin vocal works really well too . Pretty decent drumming as well  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 07:03:12 PM »
Whato @PaulAds - Thanks very much for the listen. You know Paul, I have spent quite a while refining the mix on this, and only yesterday did I find what the issue was, it was exactly what you said, there are 2 crowd tracks in it, and I had them both at varying levels all the way through, and it was acting as sound damper, so I removed it from the middle section and it all came together in about an hour, I wasn't sure if it worked, as you say it's kind of strange not hearing it, like going from a live to a dry studio than back to the live setting again, but I'll see how its received in this forum...

I'll send you one of the mixes with it in...it's great in theory but not so great where the frequencies of the instrument clash with those of the crowd...

Any way glad you like it, cheers for the nod for the bass (it was great fun), and the drumming...it was a gas doing the twin vox, I learnt so much about Texas.... I just couldn't resist the 'Telstar' cameo, not to mention Austin

I don't know if you know, but my mixes have to pass my 'Car Test', and this mix did this morning, I was dancing about in my seat, with it loud and I was loving every minute of it, Behave baby...

There's always something I could do to it...

Thanks again Paul

Rich

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 09:27:11 PM »
You paint an interesting picture with your introduction @cowparsleyman Was the Austin an A40 in baked bean can blue ? You've done some interesting stuff here and clever musical references to the shadows and the fab four harmonies and twist and shout ending. I also picked up on the B52s feel and thought this had a New Wave feel to it. I think the crowd noises worked well but would like to have heard them come and go throughout the song although that would be a b*****d to do. This is top work and it seems that you had great fun doing it. I also admire the fact that you are genre jumping. I'm sure that you learn loads from each genre  :)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 11:59:28 PM »
Yeah, guess the B52s in the 80s were retro re the 60's, and despite the similarities with the thin fender sounding guitar and female vox, this song has a lovely energy all of its own. Nice concept to paint that vivid picture of a time gone by, and I was willingly transported back in your time tardis!

Very entertaining track!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 02:23:26 PM »
Hi CPM,

Looovvve Shaaaack....er..  ok I am back in the room.

Defo got that right vibe.

Myself and Mikey are currently looking into how to recreate that 50's recorded sound. Lots of tape and old mic technology I suspect.

Nice Work Dude.

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 04:51:19 PM »
You set the scene really well, before I even played the song.

The whole song feels like a trip down memory lane.

Each segment feels like I'm opening a door to my past.

Especially love the base and the organs.

Great samples....what was that Shadows and thx for the Beatles at the end, can't think of a better way to end the song.

If you are experimenting with productions, then you can do my songs anytime.

Sandeep

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 04:58:37 PM »
Great job on bringing the 60s back to life. Fun song. I think it's perfect as is.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 05:14:36 PM »
Whato All - First, many thanks for the time you took to listen to my indulgence...

@pompeyjazz - Yip Baked Bean Blue, not puke mustard...it had poke out ear indicators...I'll put the version with the crowd all the way through up probably next week...Yip I had a right gas doing this one, It was super to be able to realise this one.

I have learned a shed load doing each one, I'll go over that later...

@MichaelA - That's one of my problems with it, how to meld the the '80s with the '60's and wondered if the frozen tap echo sounded misplaced, it was a direct nod to the B52's - the track '52 girls. I listened to quite a few of their tracks to get some idea of how they approach it, do they have a story, Love Shack, Cake, 52 girls does, Rock Lobster kind of does...

@Cawproductions - Cheers about the vibe, much appreciated.

A bit more about it...for those who are interested.

Just one drum track with a few compressors on it, Waves C6 multiband and the Fairchild 670...it was really important to work on the kick and snare, as the kick was really exposed at the beginning...just stereo so that was a challenge in itself. Also a waves transx to add punch, that i couldn’t get from the compressors.

No mic sim technology, just Scheps 73, that's just great for Vocal EQ, along with izotop Nectar2 elements..plus whiff to the aux busses.

3 Guitars had Waves GTR amp sim, the Waves TG12345, the real key was Waves Abbey Road Vinyl, that is just brilliant to capture the 'old vibe, more so than the J37 tape, spent a load of time getting the drums, bass and guitars right before adding anything else.

organs were Arturia B3 and Farfisa, with a bit of Soundtoys decapitator and Scheps73.

Bass had Vandal 15" bass amp sim along with the COSM Ampeg fliptop sim from my Rolans 100 bass cube

auxbusses Waves Abbey Road Plates, Abbey Road Chambers, Urei 1176, and LA2 for vox (always use @ 0dB) and send just whiff to these, can't state that enough, just a couple of dB.

submix busses for LVox (had Waves Vocal rider on it, but I took that off..., BVox, all instruments, separate VCAs for LVox and BVox both on the subs.

Some tacks used 2D surround panning to accurately place the Vox.

Master buss SSL bus comp, Stereo enchancer from magix (just brilliant), normalised to -14 lufs, no maximiser.

Did a LOT of mono master buss listening, nearly released it in Mono for extra authenticity...but rejected that idea.

Probably missed a load, soundtoys primal tap freeze at object level on the Whoops only.

No tape sims. I think the TG12345 and vinyl did a lot to help, many of the waves products have analogue and drive features which were used subtly.

if you have any questions let me know and I'll see if I can assist.

Hope it helps

Rich
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 08:04:15 AM by cowparsleyman »

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 05:17:19 PM »
Wahto @Movin Flavour - thanks very much for the listen

Sandeep, I'll be in touch with regard to producing your songs....

cheers

Rich
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 07:58:17 AM by cowparsleyman »

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 03:52:27 AM »
Wow<that was an amazing trip down memory lane! Fantastic job making all those different song ideas run so smoothly together. I love that bass and organ, and oh the brass is awesome, and all the back up vocals, and the Beatles ending was perfect :) A Truly fantastic job  :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 09:39:22 AM »
You mean like this one ?
https://goo.gl/images/mnQ7jV
I was thinking more like this
https://goo.gl/images/LQAVHw
 :)

Yip, the blue is the one, exactly that one

Thanks pj