Lets play a game 1962

• 52 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2018, 10:44:53 AM »
Cool song with a 100% B52 style for me. I liked it a lot. Very clear production.( How you guys always manage to do this  ::) ) Thanks for sharing.

Whato @fischermans -  first thanks for the listen, glad you liked it. I try my best with the production, It's probably more luck than judgement ! 8), and a lot of picky self critical listening, I alwyas imagine that I'm listening to it on the radio, along with millions of other listeners, so it HAS to be right to my ears.

Thanks again

Rich

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2018, 10:47:20 AM »
...wasn't there a '60's song called 'Tommy Gunn' or similar  with a single repetative guitar riff, I had just a 6th sense that there was something like this?

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2018, 10:53:27 AM »
love the back story! The guitar riff kicks in and I immefiately think about 'Love Machine'. it is so close. Perhaps,  that's drliberate as I later hear The Shadows making an appearance and also the Twist and shout riff. Anyway, I admire your plan to write and perform in different genres. Guess I shoukd be doing this more too.  Very enjoyable!

Paul

@Wicked Deeds - Thanks for your listen, Who did 'Love Machine'? I don't know that song. Glad you liked it.

It's very enjoyable to try something different, really does give one a spring in one's step, and beleive me there have been quite a few moments over the year when I've woken up and thought, THAT would sound good, of maybe I try that (then having done it, it sounds rubbish, or it doesn't go at all)

In this one I had a Telecaster track called 'Shrill Guitar' it was a super hooky line on a Telecaster, but it just crowded the main hook, so I left it out. Sometimes less is more, there's always the next song...

Regards

Rich

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2018, 08:09:17 PM »
Yo CPM

Cool 60s vibe carries the song well. Those who have been there will appreciate,but it still has a broad appeal.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2018, 11:03:16 AM »
Whato @Skub - Nice to hear from you again Man, hope your'e well and had a great Christmas...Thanks for the listen, and comment.

btw. I chose 1962 because I had a mate who had a 1962 Gibson SG special (with bigsby) it was gorgeous, it was refretted and resprayed to a pale cherry sunburst by Andy's guitar workshop in London, played itself. he went and bought a 1964 335, and sold me the SG for £210, I used it for a few years, then sold it for £170 as the p'90's were unbearabley noisey, worst thing I ever did, as Elvis said 'you were always on my mind.... :-\

AAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrgggghhhhh.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2018, 07:04:43 PM »
Really nice production cpm and good fun vibe. Guitar especially sounds super cool.

Got to say that I thoroughly enjoyed your last post too (sorry I didn't comment at the time!) also great sound to it....you're really knocking out some good sounding stuff now so, for me, your productions are coming on a treat. You've reached another level. Good work...keep it up.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »

Hey Rich  ;D

Love this track....much fabulousness about it ;D ;D
 It's a great 'mover'.  Love that bass. The sound is perfect....you just got to MOVE ;D ;D
 The vocals are first class...very clever, entertaining stuff.  The female vox works a treat.
 All round winner my friend  ;D ;D

Happy New Year  ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Orange Mississippi

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2019, 09:32:32 AM »
Hi I’ve listened to your other stuff which I love - this doesn’t do it for me just not my thing , I found it to mono , I understand what you are trying to achieve and you do - just not my thing

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2019, 10:21:46 AM »
Great intro and the beatlesque ending fab too.
Tight playing and got the 60's pastiche vibe you were after, with a loose 'love shack' style vocals.
Liked the bass, organ and brass in particular.

Sound like you had fun doing it too.
 :)
neil 

songwriter of no repute..

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2019, 09:29:21 AM »
Whato all (bump aware now...) - thanks again for the listen and comments...

@Neil C - Thanks that's what I was after, it means a lot especially your noting the bass and brass, spent quite a while oon those, lots of fun and concentration.

@Orange Mississippi - That's cool, there's always a risk of that when genre jumping ( @pompeyjazz - thanks for that) maybe the next few will hit the spot? To be honest I wasn't overly convinced about the playing a game theme for the lyrics, but I couldn't think of anything better, and it lent itself well to a short story, as well as Pam's Texas drawl, seemed to fit.

@Binladeda - Cheers old boy, yeah, it got me moving i tell you, reminded me of a session I did about 30 yrs ago where all the band members we supposed to be doing BVox, and we were huddled around a big mic with a great Cans mix, and we ALL were dancing about like maniacs, doing the James Brown thang, all that stomping wasn't appreciated by the engineer, funnily enough we used that take in the final mix, as it had the most soul.

It was a gas to hear some of the stems Pam laid down, she had a terrible cold during the project and still was kind enough to do it, some of the whoops and hollas sounded like howlin wolf. ;D

@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra - Thanks man, really nice of you to say, I try hard and also try to learn as I go. I listen a lot and also take care to note what you folks say here, as there is a good cross section of opinion here, Funny I thought of you this week,  I had to look at the statistical correlation value of CramerV this week!

One thing I've learned in this one is that Waves plugins that try to emulate vintage gear are PERFECT for the job, they do get a bit of a clobbering on the Web, don't know why, maybe because they all don't look like FabFilter, or that they are old and processor hungry. (I do also own some very modern tasty plugins too, so I can compare them...)

btw...I should have listened to my ears, I thought it was a bit quiet when I mastered it, so I'm going to increase the loudness a tad, (I was very careful not to squash the dynamic range as this one needs a lot of space in it).

Thanks again to everyone that listened and commented, if I can help just ask.

Regards

Rich

macker71165

• Busker
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2019, 11:44:55 AM »
nice retro beatley  guitar sounds and a b52   vibe  like ya production  and dig the  bass sound
  good job

The Portrait Piano

• Busker
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2019, 04:42:55 PM »
You cant help but jump up & boogie to this one it's really catchy. The playfulness between the two vocals draws you into the song.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2019, 09:57:45 PM »
Great fun Rich!! Mission accomplished I say! I always wanted a pogo stick! I did have a punctured space hopper though!! Yay for me!🎶👊🏻🎶😄

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2019, 08:43:00 AM »
Whato - Thanks very much for taking the time to listen, much appreciated

@macker71165 - Thanks very much fro your kind words, glad you like the prod and the bass, sometimes those pesky bass guitars take quite a bit to get them sounding right.

@The Portrait Piano - Cheers for that, yeah even after all those time of hearing it, I still love to dance to it. Twas was really interesting planning each vocal part, It was important to me to use phrases that sounded really Southern, against the Britishness of my voice, so some phrases were dropped in favour for ones that accentuated the Southern drawl, 'you'll - Did you catch that at the end when Pam says Thank yer very much, Thank you'all.

@LostBoy - Cheers Leo, glad that you liked it, just a side note, as I know you take a lot of care with your production, some of the Waves old gear emulations made it easier to capture the vibe, it just does it so well , some of the more modern comps and EQ's would have been more tricky. I always try and use the right instruments that were used then, and the prod seems to be a little easier.

I can remember my sister having a spacehopper, as soon as it punctured it seemed to lose it's street cred, a bike puncture repair patch, with gunk and dust stuck to it seemed to drop one down the street pecking order.
My own object of desire (in the '70's) was a Raleigh Chopper bike, but my mum and dad could never afford one, they were sooooo cool, especially in orange, I wonder if @pompeyjazz had one? John? were you lucky enough?

Thanks again

Rich

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2019, 08:50:05 AM »
Couldn't afford a Raleigh Chopper Rich. I used to make my own bikes from bits when I was that age  ;D