Songwriter Forum > Feedback on Finished songs

Lets play a game 1962

(1/11) > >>

cowparsleyman:
Whato

Here's the latest in my challenge to try to record different genres, mainly to improve my production.

As always I'd really appreciate any critique/ideas/nit picking etc.

The Dancerellas are at the Gaumont in Ipswich, It's 1962. You're 14, You go to see your first live concert. Your Dad takes you in his 10 yr old Austin.
You and your friend have the single that you've played every day on the Stereogram in the dining room, You've seen them in Melody Maker, and you adore what they wear and your secret scrapbook under your bed has all their photos in.

You have already asked your parents for a Pogo Stick for Christmas, that's the new craze,..

This is the single at that gig. You go to bed with your ears ringing but you can't sleep...Bounce bounce 20oz....

Lyrics

Intro

Verse 1
Let's play a game (What kind of game do you wanna play?)
I don't know
Football's on (Joe Montana)
Ballgame's on (Hanky Aaron)
So much on and nothing to do

Verse2
Hey, I got a brainwave,
Tell me more, tell me more alright I will
I got a pogo stick,Wow, that should do the trick
I got bouncing boots (Bouncing boots)
I got a a stick trick book (Dr Seuss)
So much on and something to do

Bridge
Pogo Stick? (Yeah that's cool)
Do you know any tricks?
Sure do you know the 180? (I heard about that)
Or the Beatle bounce? (Sounds cool)
or the 20oz? (Scherwing)
The Lindy Hop
The Dallas Bop

Alright lets go, get that thing and.......

Bounce, Bounce 20oz

Credits
Pam Barrett - Vocals, Hollas, Whoops, Beehive, slacks and '57 Chevvy
Pam Barrett & CPM - Lyrics & Vocals
CPM - Music, instruments, Production and greased back hair, cardigan and Wayfarers

Instruments
Stratocaster,Hammond B3, Farfisa organ, Telecaster, Precision bass, Gretsch Kit, Tambourine,

shadowfax:
Yep!! sounds like 1962 for sure, so you got that right...also shades of the B52's..well done..

cowparsleyman:
@shadowfax - Thanks for the listen and the comments. Good to know I'm on the right track.

cpm

PaulAds:
Yeah...great early '60s feel with a hint of the B-52s in there too.

I thought that it might be an idea to have the crowd noise going all the way through the track? Otherwise it perhaps sounds slightly like the start and the end of the track (bits with the crowd on) are separate from the main track?

I did something similar a while back and used an app called "livetunes" which - although it's a little bit "overkill" it works quite well, I think...https://soundcloud.com/thefuneralcrasher/a-live-ep

Just a thought - and sorry for the slight thread hijack - regardless of that, it's a good song...I loved the bass and the fun twin vocal works really well too . Pretty decent drumming as well  :)

cowparsleyman:
Whato @PaulAds - Thanks very much for the listen. You know Paul, I have spent quite a while refining the mix on this, and only yesterday did I find what the issue was, it was exactly what you said, there are 2 crowd tracks in it, and I had them both at varying levels all the way through, and it was acting as sound damper, so I removed it from the middle section and it all came together in about an hour, I wasn't sure if it worked, as you say it's kind of strange not hearing it, like going from a live to a dry studio than back to the live setting again, but I'll see how its received in this forum...

I'll send you one of the mixes with it in...it's great in theory but not so great where the frequencies of the instrument clash with those of the crowd...

Any way glad you like it, cheers for the nod for the bass (it was great fun), and the drumming...it was a gas doing the twin vox, I learnt so much about Texas.... I just couldn't resist the 'Telstar' cameo, not to mention Austin

I don't know if you know, but my mixes have to pass my 'Car Test', and this mix did this morning, I was dancing about in my seat, with it loud and I was loving every minute of it, Behave baby...

There's always something I could do to it...

Thanks again Paul

Rich

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version