konalavadome

The Years Go Rolling

• 14 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: December 03, 2018, 04:22:55 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1

The Years Go Rolling By

This is a young man's song that was written 28 years ago when I was 24. It's over 6 minutes long. I thought that was ok at the time. Sometimes the arrogance of youth serves us well. I believed in this back then. Perhaps  I was right to please myself and write exactly what I wanted.  A few years ago, I decided to record this song exactly as I had intended back in 1990.  This morning, I decided to add new drums and hey presto.

This is how I felt in my twenties.  Thoughts about my own impatience.  Feeling that I was going nowhere fast "Stuck inside this empty house where rain adorns the windows."  It's a song about looking for an escape from the mundane events of life.  A snapshot of the crazed hormones of a young man that led to fantasies about a different lifestyle. It refers to the film stars and movies of the day "Watching Rourke in 'Johnny H; H is sure for hansome." Of course the title was ironic since Mickey Rourke was quite disfigured in his starring role in the film 'Johnny Handsome.'  Perhaps that's a bit like life. There is beauty to be found but much ugliness exists if we scratch the surface (and equally, further beauty!) It was a time when my thoughts were seeped in a different world that was depicted in the movies of the day. Maybe I had a little too much insight into how things really were at  that time and how they would continue to be "The years go rolling by. No problems shared or halved."

I will one day get around to recording brand new songs.  For now, I'm happy to unveil something that has not been shared before.

Hopefully, it won't seem like a six minute listen.

The Years Go Rolling

The sun has shut her eyes again.
Her showers turn to winter.
The moon is on the lake tonight.
I'm walking in her shadows.

The years go rolling by.
No problems shared or halved.
The years go rolling by.
My appetite is weak.

Don't be taken in.
Oh, my wicked ways
will steal your loveliness.
Oh, my selfishness.

Watching Rourke in 'Johnny H;'
H is sure for handsome

The years go rolling by.
The years go rolling by.

Stuck inside this empty house.
Rain adorns the windows.
Thoughts go by as passing cars
drive swiftly down the freeways.

The years go rolling by.
No problems shared or halved.
The years go rolling by.
My appetite is weak.

Don't be taken in.
Oh, my wicked ways
will steal your loveliness.
Oh, my selfishness.

The years go rolling by.
The years go rolling by.
The years go rolling by.
The years go rolling by.

Rolling by, rolling by.
These 'Days of Thunder' are days of fire.
Rolling by, rolling by.
These 'Days of Thunder' are days of fire.

Written by a Paul Vasey

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:05:04 PM by Wicked Deeds »

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 04:37:30 PM »
Love this Paul and the story behind it, thanks for sharing it. The vocals are great I really like the tone of your voice.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 06:47:39 PM »
Yeah I agree with keV. It's a great song. Masterful production and vocal delivery. Reminds me of Blue Nile some of their better stuff. Great backstory too. 6 minutes never too long for a song of this quality.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 09:20:23 PM »
Fascinating back story Paul and an interesting perspective on growing older. In this case 6 minutes is not too long as the song deserves it and certainly kept my interest throughout. I'm getting a Blue Nile vibe like Micky and also Mr MacAloon. You're going to have to do a triple album now aren't you  :) Pure quality @Wicked Deeds.

As an aside, are there any triple albums apart from Sandinista by The Clash ?

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 09:20:51 AM »
Aw, I'm a sucker for the back-story!  ;) Well I think you were a pretty good songwriter, as a young man, and it's great that you are reuniting with the younger artist within you all these years later. Must be quite emotional.

Anyhow, I really like the instrumentation on this, really sweet guitar work. Then a memorable chorus for sure.

Great!  ;D
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 10:14:14 AM »
A pleasant song about an unfulfilled youth, ( I think )very nice instrumentation throughout though for me, the drums seemed wrong for the song..they seemed jolly and pacey, I think it would be a better song at 5 mins but I understand your reasoning for it's length...

best, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 04:18:09 PM »
Hi Paul, I always think of Pre Fab Sprout and or Crowded House when I hear your stuff. I love both those artists so It's high praise from me! Great arrangement and production.
Nice!
Cheers
Jamie

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 06:33:02 PM »
Hi Paul,

Lovely driving vibe on this, you have a smooth vocal on this too.

Like all the extra little fills you have in there too, keeps my ear really well.

I hate to compare but this is giving me a prefab sprout feel, But Hey, they have a great sound too.

Top work Paul.
Sound great here.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 09:35:50 PM »
Yeah, I got the 'Sprout feeling from this too.
Well it's got your trademark wistfulness Paul... you're really good at this happy/melancholy thoughtful vibe.
I found the lyrics intriguing ... like there's more to the backstory than meets the ear initially... why is the protagonist stuck in the empty house and who is it who is going to get their loveliness stolen?  I'm glad its a bit cryptic, but still conveys an overall impression of loneliness.
Enjoyed that, thanks.
Pompey J - Triple Albums - wasn't All Things Must Pass one?
It's all too beautiful.

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 07:16:27 AM »
Hello Paul, I love the song a lot and he transports the feeling of a 28 year old guy perfect. Nice instrumentation and very good recording.
Only the drum is a bit humdrum but this is may only me and I'm not sure for the length. I'm more the 3 minute song guy. ;)
Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 02:45:57 PM »
Hi Paul,

It's hard to believe you were so wise at such a tender age and that you've been writing for so long. In another, fairer universe you'd be selling out tours and shifting truckloads of vinyl. I thought this was a good piece of music but it is a little long. I think you could say the same thing in 4 minutes but it's not hard to just let it roll over you (sorry!). Beautifully played and recorded as is your way.

M

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 03:25:09 PM »
Love that “wicked ways - loveliness - selfishness “ section in particular.

Lots of space around the verses, and such a melodic guitar, very nice indeed!

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 09:26:26 PM »
Definitely has hints of Prefrab Sprouts.

Thinks the guitars are great and well worked.

Thought provoking and wise lyrics.

A good listen.

Sandeep

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 10:29:25 AM »
@RealKevM

I’m pleased tat you enjoyed the song.

@Mickyplankton,

Thanks my friend.  It is such a long song but I don’t think it is too noticeable.

@pompeyjazz

There are now way too many songs for a single album.  A nice problem to have I think.  Anyway, it is now on the back burner as Nooms and I are preparing to release a 13 track album very soon.

@MichaelA

There is something about our early writing that makes our work stand out in a very different way.  I really want to produce my older songs again but that will be at the expense of newer material.  I guess the correct approach would be to embrace elements of the old and the new.

@shadowfax,

Point taken about the song length.  I was simply trying to remain faithful to the original but agree, I could have done this in 4-5 minutes.

@jamie

Thanks for the crowded house acknowledgement.  Neil Finn is a songwriter that I admire immensely.

@cawproductions

Yeah, it’s definitely influenced by Prefab Sprout.  I’m pleased that you noticed the attention to detail with all of the subtle extras.

@PaulyX  Yeah, this has the Prefab sound sprinkled all over it.  I was young man and they were my favourite band.  My friend who is the most amazing musician the I have ever met tells me to embrace my influences and never be ashamed to do so.  He says that there is always something of me in my music.  That’s good enough for me.  There is so much more to this than initially meets the eye.  It was a time when I more easily embraced the cryptic aspect of writing.  I will on this occasion however, leave the explanation for the lyrics to one side :-)

@fischermans

Yes, it’s a lengthy song and is really so self-indulgent.  I could have done a rewrite and made this a much shorter song but it was really all about reproducing the past with a better handle on production than I had way back when i was a young man.

@montydog

Thank you so much for your very kind compliment.  I have several albums of songs from this time in my life.  Back then, I really used to write pop songs that were hopefully smart and had commercial appeal.  There are several compositions that I am really fond of from that time and should record them again:  “Forgiveness”, “Field Of Dreams”, “The Arms of Christie Wills”  “Motorway of Lies”, “Shooting Stars”, “Untouchable.”  Man, that would  have been a great album if recorded in 1993.  It was a time when the band that I played in supported The Stranglers and courted interest from Virgin records but success wasn’t meant to be (possibly for the most unfortunate reason when the company missed our London performance by moments after a mix up in our performance time.)  Anyway, I went away and continued to write for another 26 years.  In hindsight I don’t think being signed was the real reason I started on my songwriting journey.  Writing has been a wonderful companion to accompany me thought my journey in life. 

@adamfarr

So pleased that you love the “wicked ways - loveliness-selfishness” section.  It was always and still is a favourite section of mine.  The guitar work is very much something that I am proud of and represents my style as guitarist.  :-)

@Movin Flavour

Thank you so much for listening and posting a reply.  This song definitely embraces the spirit of Prefab Sprout.  Thanks for our compliment re the guitars. :-)

Paul
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 10:50:29 AM by Wicked Deeds »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 12:43:03 PM »
Really loved this, Paul

The feel of it and the tempo, the instrumentation and that drum sound, with those plaintive vocals sprinkled like that powdery chocolate stuff on top of extravagantly-priced coffee variants is as close to my favourite kind of softer stuff as I ever hear around these parts...always sounds like a sweet mid 80's escape from the madness that surrounds.

Didn't ever feel like it was even 1 second too long.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter