konalavadome

Runway

• 13 Replies

Almosthumanrobot

• Busker
« on: December 02, 2018, 02:52:28 PM »
Hey guys, haven't posted in a while, been busy with uni and stuff.
Finished this song a while ago, and pretty happy with the result.
Now I was wondering what you guys think of it ofcourse :).

It's about how we use our vacations to get away from the problems we have at home.
It's also about how a drug trip can be used to get away from those same problems.

As I've used a lot of production on this (it's not a stripped down song that I usually make) I'd like some feedback on that the most, anything else is welcome as well ofcourse. Thanks in advance!

Here's Runway:

https://soundcloud.com/tomdelve/runway

Airplane take me sky high
Clouds of white don't look behind
Our problems look so tiny from up here
Don't come back down, they'll soon just reappear

Hours pass me by as we fly from time to time
I watched the pilot's episode
They show me how to survive in case of disaster
But I'll be long gone when the plane hits the water

So I run away to a runway far from here
Know what you're gonna say but it's another day here

Let me lay back and stare into the orange glow
Forget the things I never wanted to know
Swimshorts and sunglasses on
The rose colours will wear of before too long

So we run away to a runway far from here
Know what you're gonna say but it's another day here
A holiday in the sun will only cause you to get burnt
A few more days of fun, you'll only get more hurt

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 10:47:47 PM »
Well if I had to guess the drug, I'd go heroin. That kind of warm blanket of a synth Is how I'd imagine it to feel, and of course it's damn chilled

Production wise I'd say you've done a good job. Where to improve? I'd say editing the noise out of your vocal track. A few times you can hear lip smacks and what sounds like other unwanted intrusions, such as around 1:33 and 1:58.

The vocal when it was just on the left was slightly off putting for me but that's probably just my taste.

Nice work.

Yodasdad

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 06:36:14 AM »
Hello
I like the intro, like the melody and love the chorus melody and the lyrics.
I'm not sure for the singing in the verses. May there is air upward?
Thanks for sharing.
Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

Almosthumanrobot

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 01:48:33 PM »
@Yodasdad Thanks for listening! Hahah I actually set those in on purpose. I recorded some background noise from one of my airflights and edited that under the full length of the track. I found that this increased the feeling of actually being in an airplane.

@fischermans Thanks for listening to my track! Yeah wasn't really sure about my singning in the verses either. I might re record those parts of the song at some point.

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 10:26:56 PM »
Hi Tom, love the chord structure. Such a moody and atmospheric vibe. Top notch production. When that guitar kicks in i'm like here we go, we've got a tune on our hands. Love the samples.

ThomasThomas

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 11:08:05 PM »
A very cool song, I feel I know that feeling on an airplane, I like all the sounds in the background and the choir. Great

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 11:41:45 PM »
I liked a lot the intro as well as the melody that seems to melt. I liked a lot the chorus "So I run away to a runway far from here
Know what you're gonna say but it's another day here"
I think the same as @Yodasdad about the vocal at the left. (I thought my speakers did not work!) May be you can introduce to enhance your intention a FX to your voice?
By the rest, nice work.
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 02:37:46 PM »
Hi Tom,

I thought that the chord progression was excellent and I also liked the instrumentation you've used. The incidental sounds are OK but I don't think they really enhance the song. I think the novelty would wear off after a few listens and you'd be wishing they weren't there. I liked the vocal coming from one side - very artful and the lyrics are superb. This is low key but also immensely impressive. I could listen to a whole album of this. One of my favourite songs on the forum at the moment.

M

Almosthumanrobot

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 04:02:32 PM »
@RealKevM  @ThomasThomas Thanks for listening to the song and the feedback!

@moraamarolaloba Thanks for listening! I'll go back to the mastering of the song, if people find it off putting, I'll make it more centered. It's panned to the left to enhance the chorus part, where another voice comes in from the right. But I could also make it centered for the verses.

@montydog Wow thanks so much for the kind words! Thanks for the advice on the background noise too, I'll probably tone it down a bunch and only let is sound at certain points in the song where it does add something, instead of making it messy.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 12:36:15 PM »
Very slick @Almosthumanrobot . You've created a great mood with your instrumentation. Love the use of the spoken word parts.. If this is a departure for you as you say, I'd be inclined to do more of this. It's really lovely. Fantastic track..

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 12:45:41 PM »
Good to hear from you again.

This is a gentle melancholy trip...it has a cool claustrophobic feel to it as well...tasty.

Your written intro reminded me of a Geordie comedian who suggested going somewhere really shit for your holidays...that way, you wouldn't feel so bad about going home and would be able to enjoy the other 50 weeks of the year more.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 08:54:43 PM »
 A good listen.

I really like the sound affects and especially like the chorus.

Sometimes the song feels a bit slow in parts.....have more of the chorus.... The best bit.

Great guitar solos.

Sandeep

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 04:22:31 AM »
Loads of atmosphere... it felt like one of those tracks that knows just what it wants to be and plays by its own rules.  I liked the mellow pace of it all the way through and the way it doesn't make any sudden movements... it just gently swells until those cool guitars in the outro (and I loved the sudden stop).  I agree you could probably cut down on the airplane samples a bit after the intro, as by then you've achieved a kind of hazy dream state and they could be a bit of a distraction.  Clever stuff.
It's all too beautiful.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 06:35:53 PM »
enjoyed this
like the idea
the atmosphere youve created.. close your eyes job..
very nicely done, kind of like slow tv,,would suit a slow spooky video
draws you in
guitar arrived just at the right time tho, as my head was inches from the gravy 
reminds a little of the band morphine
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1