konalavadome

Why are we making albums?

• 31 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: November 30, 2018, 10:30:35 AM »
My second album is awaiting artwork and a release date.  It has prompted me to ask the question why are we making albums.  I do so because I don't wish the songs to be lost forever.  I hope that my children will cherish the songs and pass them on to their children.  I didn't promote my first album at all and believe that I only sold one copy (Star buyer - you know who you are.  Kudos my friend.)  Selling the album was never something that I expected to do.  I simply write because I love to do so and it has been a huge part of my life.  So, back to my original thoughts.  Why are we making albums?  I'd love to hear your reasons.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 10:34:44 AM by Wicked Deeds »

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 11:57:10 AM »
@pompeyjazz

Mr Pompey,

I might add that the number of tracks on my latest album grows daily.  I think I have compiled the definitive number of tracks then I unearth new/old songs which I have mastered and then find I have a pleasant but unfathomable problem of what to include and what to omit.  The track count is now in excess of 20 songs.  I wonder if I should go for a double album.  I guess the tracks would have to go on 2 CD's.  Am I right?  By the way, could you send a copy of 'Lost'  to me as a WAV file without any mastering additions. and also one that you have finalised.  ;-)

Paul
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:05:36 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 12:00:10 PM »
My dad was a journalist and a PR guy by trade - he described himself as a wordsmith. When he was in his early 80s I asked him to write his autobiography, because one way or another, he'd had an interesting and varied life and I wanted a record for me and my kids, who adored him. And also, because he was a writer by trade, I thought he could pull it off. Anyway, he did so and produced maybe 20 copies for the family. Dad went on to live until he was 93, but those books are all in the family now, and copies will be passed on through future generations, I hope.

So that is a big influence for me, and a major reason why I am doing it. I have Boydie onside for his mixing and mastering skills, because I want what I am doing now to represent the pinnacle of what I am capable of musically, to be presented in the best possible way, and ultimately, to be some sort of legacy for my family. Put it this way, I'll never write a book!

I aim to produce a CD, and actually I'd like to look at short run vinyl too, although that might be prohibitively expensive, I haven't looked into it yet.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 12:04:50 PM »
@Bill Saunders, a great story about your Dad.  My Grandfather passed away a couple of  months before I was born.  If someone said to me "Hey Paul, here's a record or book about your Grandfather, it contains his most intimate thoughts and feelings"  then I would cherish that item.  I would read or listen with such enthusiasm. 

Make your album soon my friend!

Paul

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 12:39:41 PM »
We've nine songs totally completed now. Like you, I have to decide how many more to include. I only want the best ones. Also, especially with the type of music I listen to, bands are making longer and longer albums. In my case, I love a 40 to 45 minute album, but it's not uncommon for albums to be 70 minutes plus. My attention spam for a purely listening experience is 45 tops. But that assumes that someone is going to sit down and play the lot, uninterrupted from start to finish. Perhaps a double album which invites "dipping into" is the way to go - double sided gatefold vinyl release - how can I resist that! All these things are possibilities once you free yourself of having any ambitions of selling the thing.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 02:46:43 PM »
@Bill Saunders That's a wonderful story. Worth writing a song about. It's great that you are making an album or should I say your first album  :)

@Wicked Deeds Paul, A standard CD will take approx 66 minutes of Music. I managed to fit 19 tracks on my first album. Purists will say that 12 tracks is probably the right number but at the end of the day it's up to you. I stuck to 12 or 13 tracks for my next 3 albums. I did sell around 50 copies of my first album, mainly the physical CD but substantially less for the next 3 even though they are available on a pay what you want basis on Bandcamp. I'll send you the copies of "Lost later  :)

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 03:30:37 PM »
We've been working on our first album for long enough that now we have enough music for two. Haha.

It started as a way to commemorate Dave and my first 25 years together. The plan is for vinyl, because maybe we're a little eccentric.  :o I admit, I initially had aspirations of being discovered. Haha. That quickly went away when I realized even when that happens, being a rock star is not all it's cracked up to be. My friend, who has helped us record some songs, was signed by and made three albums with SubPop, and now occasionally drives for Uber to supplement his income as a sound engineer, and he's way more talented and determined than I'll ever be. I think being signed to a big label was maybe a little disappointing in retrospect, although he's never said that.

It's now over two years later, we found Keith, and we're working on the second album with him, which we may print before the first, if not simultaneously. I've been saying this for a long time, but I think it's actually coming soon. And I have an order already! I expect that might be the only one, if he doesn't balk at the price (which I'll understand). Haha. But what it comes down to is we do this for fun and to express ourselves. Is there anything better than writing and recording? Not for me. I love it. I love our songs, playing guitar, and singing. I love the guys I play with so much. I love sharing everything with you, who are so generous and kind, to listen and comment constructively. The albums will be a physical memory of all these good things. I'm really lucky.

Lynn

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 05:11:11 PM »
I am still making albums, but doing it a song at a time. Kinda blending the two opposing forces.
Details here:

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 05:32:22 PM »
We've nine songs totally completed now. Like you, I have to decide how many more to include. I only want the best ones. Also, especially with the type of music I listen to, bands are making longer and longer albums. In my case, I love a 40 to 45 minute album, but it's not uncommon for albums to be 70 minutes plus. My attention spam for a purely listening experience is 45 tops. But that assumes that someone is going to sit down and play the lot, uninterrupted from start to finish. Perhaps a double album which invites "dipping into" is the way to go - double sided gatefold vinyl release - how can I resist that! All these things are possibilities once you free yourself of having any ambitions of selling the thing.

Yes! Not worrying about having to sell them is very freeing.

I have found a company here in the US that presses vinyl and prints a full color cover and label on demand per order, no upfront costs. They then sell it on their website for $35 per copy, which the artist gets $5 of. We're about to give them a try. I'll let you know how it works out. They will also press a single record for $50, or you can buy 10 for $32 each and sell them yourself. I'm not sure they do anything fancy like a gatefold cover, and the lps are limited to 18 minutes per side, so it may not be what you're looking for. I researched what you're wanting myself, and it would have cost several thousand dollars for 100 copies. If money is no object, and it brings you joy, you should do it. There are worse ways to spend money than fulfilling your dream.

Lynn

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 07:00:49 PM »
@pompeyjazz

Thanks for the files.  Potentially another song to add to my joyful problem/headache.  Check your drop box.  I've returned a new master to you.

Thanks

Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 07:19:32 PM »
Having given this some thought...and on a purely personal level, I have to say that I have no idea...it's probably just vanity...and because it's now possible...whereas previously, it wasn't.

I can't even begin to say why I write songs...I think it's just an itch I have to scratch...I wouldn't say that it's fun for me and I spend half of my time thinking that I'm just wasting the other half of that time   :P

But every now and again, I'll hear one of my songs, and find it hard to believe that I managed to do that.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 02:17:45 AM »
But every now and again, I'll hear one of my songs, and find it hard to believe that I managed to do that.
It's a great feeling.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 05:43:11 PM »
Some great stories here. I've been working on a debut album for some time and the beta version which we keep iterating is available on our SoundCloud page. I keep falling in and out of love with it. The last remaining song to complete it (Chimpanzee no 65) is proving a massive pain to finish. Hence the reason why I've not published anything here recently.
I think it's great that we live in a time where publishing an album is relatively easy. Ive got Pompey's album soup downloaded on my Spotify. The challenge is delivering something that others genuinely get pleasure from listening to!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 06:35:13 PM »
I shall look forward to listening to the completed album @mickyplankton

Incidentally, I've just signed up to a course at the local college in the new year "How to make money from your music" Not that I have any delusions on that front but if there are any quick tips on how to make your first million I'll share them here first  ;D ;D