konalavadome

Why are we making albums?

• 31 Replies

The Holographic Rodeo

• Open Mic
  • Singer/songwriter & home-recorder
    • Bandcamp site containing my latest EP and previous 2019 album
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2023, 12:16:27 PM »
I find lyrical inspiration easier when Im thinking about things in the context of an album - like sometimes I'll write one song about a particular theme, and then it'll trigger ideas for other songs, and it becomes easier to think of what to write about -- which is something I otherwise often struggle with - ie getting that initial idea of what a song is going to be about can be really difficult for me sometimes. But I guess the bigger reason I always tend to end up writing albums rather than just one off songs, is that it gives me way more satisfaction when its done, which comes from the fact that all my favourite bands from my youth were really 'album bands'..

18 months ago I had an experience with trying ayahuasca (not to give the wrong impression - I hadn't really done anything like that before), and in the same week holiday I got into a relationship with my current partner - she had previously been a friend of mine for a few years but we realised in that week it was something more... So it was a huge week which led to the inspiration for the second 'proper' album I've made called 'Doubts, Miracles, Temptations' (DMT for short  :)) . Which was fully inspired by those two events that came from that one week. It's so nice to have a piece of work that marks out that little time in my life!

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2023, 08:03:50 AM »
My second album is awaiting artwork and a release date.  It has prompted me to ask the question why are we making albums.  I do so because I don't wish the songs to be lost forever.  I hope that my children will cherish the songs and pass them on to their children.  I didn't promote my first album at all and believe that I only sold one copy (Star buyer - you know who you are.  Kudos my friend.)  Selling the album was never something that I expected to do.  I simply write because I love to do so and it has been a huge part of my life.  So, back to my original thoughts.  Why are we making albums?  I'd love to hear your reasons.

Paul

Good question.
I like it, working on this craft.
Sometimes, (not always) I'm competing with myself.
If the present me proves better than the past me, I'm 'appy.
I prefer albums over single tracks. I like stories.
It's satisfying when others appreciate what I do,
but all things considered, I'm not really interested in commercial success.

Another reason. It seems I've always done it.
Among other things, it's part of the path I take to find my equilibrium.
All the best!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly