konalavadome

Is there a structural engineer out there?

• 7 Replies

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« on: November 24, 2018, 10:08:51 AM »
Hi..been considering buying a soundbooth that is gonna weigh in at 400KG with me inside, called three structural engineering companies but they just aint interested in coming to my house and ascertaining if my floor will take the weight....deal for the soundbooth finishes on 30th November...
anyone know how to figure out if an upstairs bedroom floor will take a certain weight..average 3 bed 1950's semi..corner placement..

cheers..Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 03:34:27 PM »
I'm no structural engineer, but we've had to put some heavy stuff in our house. I've learned that in a house with a basement and an upstairs (so kind of three levels), the main floor usually has the stronger stringers, because there's more heavy stuff (like appliances) on the main floor. And upstairs levels usually have bedrooms with not very many people ever in one room. But, if it's ever had a water bed in it, those are really heavy.

Also, you said placement would be in a corner, or close to a corner? Corners are usually stronger than the middle of the floor.

Is there any way you can tell where the support beams are? Like is there a wall on the main floor underneath where you want to put the booth? And how big is the booth? I know you mentioned it before, but I can't remember. If it's bigger than 1 meter square, that will spread the weight out over a larger space.

Do you know how far apart the stringers are? Closer together is better, of course.

Do you have a lumber yard near you? They are good places to ask these questions. Or, if you can find a carpenter to invite for dinner and talk about the strength of your floors?

To be safe, you could always put a decorative--and supportive--post under your booth.  :P :o ;D

Not much actual help, I'm afraid, but maybe help you find some help....

Vicki

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 08:42:33 AM »
cheers Vicki..yeah, done all the research and am aware of where everything is, just having trouble finding a structural engineer to do the calculations for me...tried working from internet advice but this is too important to guess things...going to a structural engineer today..hopefully he/she will have the time..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 04:22:37 AM »
Call a company that sells waterbeds, and ask them if the floor would be safe for the waterbed you are "interested in buying from them." 

www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 08:52:27 AM »
Already tried that my friend, they said..it should be ok, but they make no guarantees and they cannot be held responsible for any failure... ??? ??? ???

Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 01:59:40 PM »
400kg - boy that's one hell of a soundbooth, and I guess a tidy sum. (maybe it's the Fred Dibnah wrought iron custom shop version ;))

Are you sure you need one? I've been in a few studios in my time and never seen a vocal booth, if you are up for building such a booth in one of your bedrooms, it might be more worthwhile to pay less and get the room properly tuned acoustically, if that is why you are doing it, as for the wailing affecting those downstairs, there are a few options here....

Hope this helps.

Rich

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 02:44:02 PM »
Hi, In a large treated proper studio they probably don't need a sound booth, in a small square bedroom a soundbooth is an advantage ( standing waves and all that stuff) it also means the neighbors can't hear me at 3am in the morning and my wife can get some sleep,

I've made three so my wife decided it was time to treat myself in this house... :)

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 08:54:43 AM »
OK, I understand, best of luck with it.

Rich