konalavadome

This Is Love

• 21 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: November 19, 2018, 05:46:00 PM »
I wrote this in 2014 and posted the early versions in the work in progress sections.  I battled with the vocal and production  for ages because it’s a gentle song and I was struggling to enhance it with some clever production.  It then started to dawn on me that not all songs need to dazzle.  Some are growers and have their own in built charm.  At first, i thought that I would write a single verse then follow up with  “People show their feelings”  That’s one of my favourite sections.  Instead, I decided to write another verse and add a steady and subtle build to the production leading up to that section.  Yes, there’s a French horn and harp and clarinet in there but I think that they are used tastefully and compliment the story.  No surprise in saying it’s a song about falling in love.  It can be played on acoustic guitar or equally listened to with a full production.  It doesn’t dazzle but I like this song and it has certainly earned a place on my soon to be released album “Midday in the Universe.”  So, here it is “This is love” an honest song that just might sneak into your life unexpectedly.

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/this-is-love

This Is Love

Beautiful lady, stay safe in my arms.
Love will surround you, that's part of it's charm.
Say - let's go dancing. You know, I won't  hide.
I'm proud to be be with you, alone, by your side.

Look to the future. The past has now gone.
We stand in the middle. Know that you're the one.
I didn't think that I'd ever be free.
We're learning to quick-step, you're dancing with me.

People show their feelings.
Sometimes, in fear.
I've come to love you,
To hold you my dear

This is love, love,
this is love.
This is love, love
this is love.

You ask for the reasons. I tell you, it's plain.
Love is the master of every domain.
It lives in the fabric of all that we do.
Observing our feelings as hearts beat anew.

People show their feelings.
Sometimes, in fear.
I've come to love you,
To hold you my dear

This is love, love,
this is love.
This is love, love,
this is love..

Let our hearts now entwine.

This is love.

Written by Paul Vasey

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/this-is-love
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:18:31 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 12:39:39 AM »
Really nice clarity to the production.

I think you're probably right that this is a grower. I've only had the one listen, so this is a first impression.

Personally I thought the chorus was quite a long time coming. The verses don't grab me if I'm honest, but I do think that is a personal taste thing rather than a reflection on your writing.

The instrumentation is blended nicely, including the harp and clarinet. The only thing I might work on a little bit is the articulation of the rising strings motif, to try to make it slightly less synthetic.

Overall I think you've done well with this, worthy of a place on the album. Good luck with that.

By the way, you've got a real 'Pet Shop Boys' feel to your vocal.

Yodasdad

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 02:43:01 PM »
Hey Paul
this one has a lot of the trademarks that I associate with a Wicked Deeds song, a wistful sadness, and a fusion of instrumentation that gives it something atmospheric and timeless.

There are some very interesting touches - the piano line following the vocal, those long French horns (a highlight for me).

I'd say that the verse lyrics didn't connect with me that much, but I definitely came away with the feeling of a mature and not always simple emotion, which is a success.

For some reason I felt I wanted the chorus to come first and then go into the "People show..." section, I'm not sure why... (possibly as Yoda says, to get the chorus in a bit quicker...?)

Anyhow, looking forward to the rest of the album!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 03:06:35 PM »
Yodasdad, Adam,  thank you so much for listening and taking time to respond.

I’ve written so many direct songs that get to the point quickly.  This is like a private letter to someone that I love except, it’s no longer private as it’s  in a song and on the forum :-)   I’m just  being relaxed as a songwriter, taking my time to express some personal thoughts like I’ll take care of you.  I’m proud to be with you, let’s go dancing because I know that you like dancing so much.  We should forget about the past because the here and now is more important.  This is our time, “We’re learning to quickstep.”  It’s a discussion with someone that I love.  Yes, we become angry “People show their feelings, sometimes in fear” but don’t worry, my intentions are honourable.  Relax, “This is love.”  Why do you love me?  Well, I can’t give you the reasons, “love is the master” and it simply tells me that “This is love.”  Love is everywhere “It lives in the fabric of all that we do."

I had so many songs to choose from when I began to compile my album.  I didn’t know whether to include this one but in the context of the other 14 songs, it belongs and I don’t want to leave it without a home.  It’s not designed to grab your attention immediately.  It is a song that I am incredibly fond of and it is  simply there because I like it and I believe in the ideas that it embraces.

As for the album, It’s on my desktop, waiting for the artwork and an early 2019 release.  At times, it lacks the production ideas evident in the first album.  It is a much more simple affair but I believe in the songs which stand up on their own.  I wanted to write an album that could be played on a guitar because that’s how I learned to write.  The opening and closing tracks are quirky and more dependant on keyboards but the main body, is all about back to basics writing on acoustic guitar.  It’s called “Midday In The Universe”  and features the absent title track from my first album - “A Kiss Before The Winter.” 

Paul
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 03:21:36 PM by Wicked Deeds »

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 07:20:19 PM »
Hey @Wicked Deeds I kinda agree that it took a long time to get to the chorus and the verses didn’t grab me immediately but I’ve just listened a second time and I really gotta say I like it a lot. I think the arrangement is really good and really works with the kind of repititious mood of the whole song where there is really a lot to listen to as you move through it. I actually like the way you’ve used the rising motif on the harp - it sounds quite natural (except perhaps the fact that it’s identical each time but I like that too!). I don’t say that lightly either - I normally dislike harp intensely in a song due to my many years wasted on playing the damn thing! :-).

I am a fan of this song!! Lovely!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 08:11:23 PM »
MonoDB,

Lovely to get a positive review here. I really believe in this song but acknowledge that it is an album track that slowly reveals it's true worth. I have over twenty candidates for my new album. I played several of them today, some more catcy and immediate than this but still, this song earned it's place in the starting line up. It fits and for me has real depth. 

Thank you.

Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 07:40:18 AM »
Hi Paul,

I'm with you that not all songs need to grab you immediately and often a "grower" can be just as good as a "grabber"  :)

Lots of @Wicked Deeds trade mark stuff here and lots to like. It's got a lovely melancholy feel to it. I liked the use of clarinet and French horn.

Top stuff as usual - Good luck with the new album  :)

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 08:53:37 AM »
I really like the song Paul. It actually grabbed me on first listen - I think it is beautifully melodic. However, rather than dissect in any detail, just a couple of general observations...

Like you, I am currently compiling an album of my own material. At an early stage, I decided that this was not to be a commercial enterprise in any way (probably just as well  ;)) – but what I mean is – I am primarily doing it for myself. So, if my song has, for example “too many” verses, or the song structure is a bit unconventional, or a has slightly self indulgent guitar solo, that’s perfectly OK so long as I like it! We all know that songwriting by is by its very nature highly subjective.

I don’t mean that I am not interested in what others think, or that I can’t learn from, and improve my songwriting from feedback from others – the opposite is true and that has been demonstrated many times, right here on this forum. But equally, if I like any quirkiness that I may bring to the table, I have enough faith in my own ears to believe some others will like it too!

“This is Love” is your very personal song, and I find it really uplifting to hear that how much you like the song itself, and how it has earned a place on “Midday in the Universe”. The words are accurately written and reflect exactly what you want to say – I think that’s wonderful.

And finally it’s an album track that will work in the context of the album. That’s another subject in itself, and one I am currently grappling with – getting the running order right, don’t want three songs in a row all written in the same key etc!

Great stuff @Wicked Deeds

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 02:56:33 PM »
Just listening to this and you followed me on Soundlcoud, spooky! (followed back btw)
This really chilled me out, it sounds really smooth if that makes any sense. The piano and orchestra is beautifully arranged. The tone of your voice perfectly suits a song like this.

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 11:40:41 PM »
Love songs are like that, full of love and fragility.
Your song has seemed very delicate and perhaps personal, it does not matter, it is beautiful because it talks about love, and love is precious when it appears in some heart or enters through the ears.
I think that if the instrumentation that accompanies you was more present, with a little more volume, they would wrap up the voice even better, and maybe your voice lacks a bit of reverb to be totally integrated with the rest, that was not so much in front .
The idea of the piano accompanying the voice I love.
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 06:45:31 AM »
Hey Paul, a very fine and sentimental song. May the piano could come in a bit later, to bring in not every ace from the beginning.
Very well done, a typical PW song for me.
Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 04:26:41 PM »
Hi Paul, very nice chilled out vibe to this one. A touch of prefab sprout and Crowded house, which is great. Some nice unusual chord changes which enhanced the overall melodic feel. Liked the arrangement e.g. the interplay between the strings and the harp. I'm not really a big fan of direct love songs, but still enjoyed it as a package. I'd put it on the album.
Nice one!
Cheers

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 06:38:37 PM »
Hi Paul.

Cool sounding vibe on this, Backing track sits sweet, I would drop this vocals back and drop a bit of EQ to make them cut through the mix rather than having them loud.

Do you have a low clarinet in there, Such a nice tone on those things.

But hey thats just my ears opinion.

Nice vocal delivery too. top work dude

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 08:35:11 PM »
Nice track, I like the orchestral parts that sneak in throughout the song, and the vocal is nicely done.

Cheers, Mikey

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 10:57:01 AM »
Sweet as a nut.

Nut's aren't really sweet, are they?

Either way...this is.

Lovingly crafted and with quite an intensity underpinning it, I thought. Beautiful.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter