konalavadome

Vocal booth in an untreated basement

• 2 Replies

allhurtanimals

• Busker
« on: November 16, 2018, 06:26:14 AM »
Hi guys. I was thinking I need a ready-made vocal booth to assemble in my basement. Big enough to fit a person sitting with a guitar. Are there products like that (Europe). Or should I build it myself? How would I go about it.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 09:28:11 PM »
Talk to the guys at Gik Acoustics. I've had all my acoustic treatment from there. Super helpful, will give you free setup advice, products are superb and based around Leeds (UK) IIRC.

https://www.gikacoustics.com/product-category/gobos-screen-panel-vocal-booth/

From experience, I can wholeheartedly recommend *not* doing it yourself. You will probably look at the products and look at instructions online and think - this isn't too hard, I can do it. I made 5 or 6 panels some time ago and when I finally changed to proper stuff the difference was obvious. Unless you are an absolute whizz at DIY and have access to trade materials, there are always some key differences with the pro stuff:
- The materials used in the pro stuff are better, lighter (so much lighter!) than what you will be able to find yourself. I've look for the stuff that Gik uses and it is just not available in small quantities.
- Pro panels, gobos, diffusers etc have been through R&D and have been tested and tested again. Their acoustic specs are known and so you know precisely what it will be doing. In your homemade stuff, you just don't know. Stuff like air gaps are crucial and get it a bit wrong and your trap is pretty naff
- You won't save *that* much money. Buying stuff in small quantities drives up the price always. Gik is already pretty cheap - £50 for a full sized 242 panel.

Having said that, if all you can spring for are a few homemade panels then it will certainly do *something* and be better than bare walls.
But also don't under-estimate the good old duvet-on-a-mic-stand. I still use that, even in a room full of panels.