Songwriting Struggles?

• 6 Replies

jglasgow1256

• Busker
« on: November 15, 2018, 04:20:42 PM »
How's it going today?

I was thinking today about some of the struggles that come along with songwriting. When you first dive into it, it can seem like something that is out of reach. You think 'Man, it would be so cool to be able to write a song and be able to say 'I wrote that!'' You don't know how to go about it though and realize how much you have to learn to become a GREAT songwriter.

My question to you is this: what have been some of your biggest struggles as a songwriter? These can be things like mental blocks, self-doubt, etc. It can also be more technical things like music theory topics, lyric writing, instrumentation, etc.

Thanks for your time!
-Jeremy

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 05:35:57 PM »
Working on too many songs in parallel and not knowing which ones to finish. I'm bogged down with about 8 songs right now, all partially evolved.

jglasgow1256

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 09:22:56 PM »
Working on too many songs in parallel and not knowing which ones to finish. I'm bogged down with about 8 songs right now, all partially evolved.

That is a struggle too! It can be a form of procrastination as well and can really hold you back from finishing the songs you start. I like to work on one song at a time to avoid this. Then I can give the attention that is necessary to each song without feeling overwhelmed.

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 04:16:37 PM »
For a long time I didn't write or play music and when I did start again I struggled and it was more to do with thinking I had nothing to write about. In recent years a lot has happened in my life so that gave me the inspiration and motivation to write. Saying that I never conciously sit down and think i'm going to write as song about a certain topic.
Listening to new music helps too, a long time i was stuck in a rut listening to the same bands until in recent years I discovered a bunch of new music.

philbee

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 10:38:09 PM »
I expect that most songwriters have encountered the struggles that you mention.

Sure, we can read books on lyric writing and musical composition, and they provide a theoretical foundation for songwriting. But it is the practice and experience of songwriting that will make songwriters out of us.

We will inevitably write some weak songs, some average songs, and the occasional reasonable song. But struggle is part of the journey to writing good songs.

The worry would be not to struggle........... ;D

jman1283

• Busker
  • I want to create. Let's collaborate.
    • Ideas and sketches
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 03:02:08 AM »
I have been writing pretty much on a daily basis for a few years but I have many unfinished songs. For me the struggle has been the solitary nature of writing. It's a very lonely endeavor!
For those two reasons I am wanting to collaborate.
Anyone else feel the same way?

https://soundcloud.com/jman1283/sets/ideas-sketches

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 03:10:19 AM by jman1283 »
Jason R. Ferguson
jman8964@gmail.com

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 06:00:20 PM »
One of the millstones I carry is that I feel that no one hears, likes or cares about what I am doing musically or artistically. Any positive feedback I do receive, I chalk up to people just being polite.