Am I the only person left alive who uses a standalone recorder?

• 7 Replies

Mark L

• Busker
« on: November 19, 2011, 07:08:57 PM »
Everyone seems to use computers these days

I feel like I'm ploughing a sad and lonely furrow :(

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 09:29:04 PM »
im sure theyve moved on a lot since i had one but changing to a computer daw was the best thing i ever did recording wise but then again that song of yours you just posted sounds amazing compared to what i was getting from my little recorder
i know  a scottish guy who i meet up with at fawm & 50/90 who uses a 4 track machine & he makes the most complex sounding recordings ever on it the quality isnt great but the songs he creates are fabulously dense....so i guess its about talent
& actualy when i listen to my old recordings  i think how did i ever manage to do that with only 4 tracks so it does make you ingenious in a way
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Mark L

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 09:52:34 PM »
I've tried several times to record using a computer, tinam, but I just can't seem to get to grips with it

I think I must like real knobs and faders

And I reckon you're right - when you only have a limited number of tracks (discounting track-bouncing, which I don't like to do) you tend to be quite inventive :)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 12:22:05 AM »
I have an old stand alone 8-track and a 2-track reel-to-reel. The 8 track only comes when I'm going somewhere else to record and the reel-to-reel is occasionally used to pass audio through, but I dont ever track with it...
Computers are just convenient and much cheaper - you dont a great big console to mix your songs if you have a pc. Just a DAW and interface and it's ready. If I had the money and the space I would get a great big console and just record to hard disk. Maybe one day.

DailyDean

• Busker
  • I'm Dean and I'm mean
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 01:35:13 PM »
Most popular virtual synthesisers tend to have knobs on display (tehe) so you won't miss that. It's just more convenience, having all your synths in one place, alot less time spent fiddling with settings, and well, just generally cheaper. After my mate bought me a birthday studio lesson off here, real synthesisers freaked me out, just couldn't deal with that many wires.  What programs have tried using to record? Since you say you couldn't get to grips with it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:36:01 PM by DailyDean »

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 10:45:10 AM »
I mostly use the PC because I can't play most of the instruments I hear in my head.
But for straight acoustic recordings and for speedy takes on ideas I use a BOSS BR-1600.
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

kicked

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 08:27:01 AM »

I love using my br 600 and the pleasure of making music for myself would be lost without, I have 10-15 compact flash cards full of material
   and I love just putting a different card in and jumping back to what ever I was doing and feeling when that particular card was being filled.

Kicked

Beat Poet

• Busker
    • Drum Tracks Direct
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 02:11:59 PM »
I just did an album with someone who uses a separate recorder - at least you can pick them up and take them with you easily!