Re-write I'll never let you leave

• 25 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« on: November 06, 2018, 02:19:38 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/jamie1802/ill-never-let-you-leave

Hello again, having completely lost interest in writing and recording for the last 6 months or so, by accident I came across one of the first songs I wrote 6/7 years ago. I was surprised by how naive and how poorly recorded it was. So,after reminding myself how it went I have re-recorded it. Not sure if it will inspire me to go back to concentrating on working in the studio,but here goes. It is recognisable from the original but is lyrically re-written with new instrumentation, new mid section and recording techniques. The song starts quietly and hopefully melodically, but I went for a dramatic build with repetition in the outro. Interested to hear if it works to others ears!

Hope I haven't missed to much and will aim to catch up with all the names who will remember me!

Cheers

Jamie

i'll never let you leave

When the thunder's rolling
and I want to play with the ghosts
I find myself in another lonely World
And I don't know what makes me do it......

You're somewhere out there
In the dark and distant shadows
I can't see you but I know you're there
Looking through the mirror.......
I can only stand and stare

Chorus
Is it going to be the day
And will it be the time
And what are you going to say
Coz you know I'll never let you leave

Bridge
Do we need the love or crave the pain
Do we seek the dark or try to stay sane

Walking through the rooms where
The long lost memories hide
And I want to be with you
But I wake up in my clothes again
I don't know what makes me do it.......

Chorus

ThomasThomas

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 04:04:37 PM »
Hello,

I really like the verses, it's a lovely song with a nice mood

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 05:17:14 PM »
Hi Jamie, Good to see you back. It's always interesting visiting stuff that we recorded back in the day and even more interesting reworking a song and putting a new perspective on it.

I love your use of melody as it's sometimes not obvious and that really adds to the appeal for me. Great falsetto vocal and a lovely arrangement.

As I say, it's good to see you back on here  :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 09:27:33 PM »
Whato@Jamie  - Nice vocal production, really classy, like the change in beat of the drums in the Chrous   looking through the Mirror.

I'm writing this while listening, I think the only thing that I'd change is the bass, a bass guitar (played with a pleactrum and damped) with a quaver rythym would add a certain drive, also from 3:53 add some vocal harmony games, find a few hooks, or nice lines from earlier in the song, let it breathe a little, it sounds like you want to keep singing because your should, but maybe just stop the lead vocal and let the BVox continue with the driving bass, just an idea. I can hear it very clearly in my mind.

Thanks for a really pleasant song, albeit a rather serious subject.

Glad that your back in the swing Jamie.

Hope it helps

cpm

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 09:23:19 AM »
This builds up really well and comes across as a very heartfelt song. Haunting melody and very nice harmonies, all very moving. Good one!

Don't give up, this is great!  :D
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 12:23:55 PM »
Snap, I haven't written anything since just after Christmas last year, the motivation just disappeared.

Love the vibe of this and the mellow instrumentation.

The song as a whole I think is a grower from my point of view and I have only listened to it the once. I think this is probably down the quite meandering melody in the verses, but I'd certainly go back to it for a second listen as quite often that which doesn't immediately 'catch' with the listener can become its beauty over time.

Liked the use of repetition and it builds nicely towards the end.

Glad you've dipped your toe back in to the musical water.

Yodasdad

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 03:07:36 PM »
Hi all, thanks for listening, it's appreciated .

Thanks for all your positive comments and I'm glad you seemed to like the song,as I said earlier it was one of the first songs I ever wrote and was probably the first song I posted on here all those years ago!
Anyway lets see where we go from here!

Thanks again
Jamie

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 05:41:29 PM »
@Jamie - let us know if you decided to do anything more to it...

Rich

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 12:51:45 PM »
Hi CPM, I think this is the first time I've done a re-write so I think it's unlikely that I'll go back to it, but if I do I'll let you know.
Cheers
Sorry for delay in replying I've been away.
Jamie

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 02:44:21 PM »
Melodic from the onset.  It’s a good lyrical introduction as it immediately engages the listener.  I think that the production is crying out for more prominent guitar.  I think your song meanders a little after the first chorus but arrives back on track with the beautiful verse melody.  I think most of the ingredients are here Perhaps think about dynamics a little more. They are evident but ensure that they support the lyrics, building at key points and then subsiding at others.  There is so much to like about this.

Well done

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 02:47:07 PM »
You've got some talent dude, great lyrics and fine melody.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 02:38:02 AM »
Hi Jamie
Glad to hear you again.
Love the chord progs and the vox - as usual your skills in those departments shine through.
Nice to hear the repetition - a good reminder to all that it totally works when lines are repeated and it gives the brain a break from the firehose of lyrics that we usually drink from  ;D
More please!
Paul

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 06:25:00 AM »
Hello Jamie, good song with very good lyrics. Only thing is the length for me. May the song will benefit if it is shorten 1 minute.
Well done
Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 08:07:07 AM »
Hi @Jamie

Isn't wonderful to realise that if we practice something we get better at it? It must give you a real feeling of satisfaction to know you just couldn't have come up with this sort of quality production a few years ago...."naive" to excellent.

I love your vocal delivery which is delicate and heartfelt. I like the repetition of "I don't know" and the poignancy of "But I wake up in my clothes again" - great songwriting.

On the outro, I would have added some distant distorted powerchords, but perhaps you're not a powerchords sorta guy!

Great song.   

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 08:39:38 PM »
Nicely chilled song, I like the intro, and there is a good contrast when it ramps up, nice vocal too.

Cheers, Mikey