Songwriter Forum > Resources & Marketing

Song for Sale. Wtf do I do now?????

<< < (2/2)

EveWilliams:
How you sell it really depends what you want it to be used for... you could sign it up to a sync service and see if it gets placed ( I love www.resonantmusiclicensing.com) or pitch it on Tracks and Fields or Songtradr.

In don't know where you're based, but Nottinghill Music have an industry networking event in the Tileyard Complex, King's Cross on the last Thursday of every month. A publisher is more likely to open your email and listen to your track if they have an idea who you are, so attending these events is crucial to making connections and selling songs. That's how I got my first publishing deal.Well, it was a big part of it. Look outbfir conferences near you. Resonate Scotland and Generator in the north of England are great outfits.

If you are aiming for a recording contract rather than a publishing deal, the Nottinghill night is still worth it but a label will want to hear a catalogue of songs and see evidence of an engaged fan base. You would also need to be gigging a lot.

For publishing deals, the Music Publishers Association Online site let's you search via genre and type of publisher and it tells you which publishers are accepting submissions so you don't end up wasting time emailing those who aren't: www.mpaonline.org

I have sold songs via LinkedIn. Basically, I posted in Songwriting and music industry groups on there, added contacts and ended up doing commissioned work. I'm also currently writimg for a documentary maker I met on Facebook so network like crazy online, even though in person conferences are the best you can still achieve a lot online.

Hope some of this is helpful. Btw is that your son beside you in the video? He's a star!

EveWilliams:
By the way I have worked in A&R at a music publishers and I listened to dozens of songs a week in that capacity. I don't agree with a previous poster on the extent of revision the song needs. The lyrics could do with a few more story details, perhaps, to make the song a little more unique but the melody and hooks are there. If you had sent this to me while I worked there, I would have offered you a contract on it with only some slight tweaking in terms of lyrics and mastering. I am not saying this to be nice but I only because I feel you need tomknow you're onto something. It may not be a final,productbyet but It's a strong one in terms of the song and the vocal.

If  I were you, I would get cowriting now. That is one of the best ways to advance a writing career. Chris Difford of Squeeze runs some great songwriting camps in Glastonbury but they are a bit pricey... Tileyard Publishers also run songcamps. I'm trying to get a few going in Northern Ireland. My old stomping ground, Bath Spa Uni, ran a songwriting festival every summer but I fear it may be on a hiatus. You can also join Nashville Songwriters Association International for a monthly fee of 25 USD and find cool people to write with. It has a UK chapter that meet in London. Cowtiting helps you to refine your own craft and learn from others, broaden your network and make industry in roads.

Btw think of sending this track to Lochlann Green of KA Radio (show called From Texas and Beyond) because he will love it. Celtic Music Radio in Glasgow also play a lot of similar stuff. Try emailing Danny Matheson there... He's a lovely guy.

EveWilliams:
**Edited by Boydie**

Hi @EveWilliams

You clearly have a wealth of experience that would enrich this community greatly but I do not allow any advertising on this site unless previously discussed and agreed with me

I will send you a PM to explain and I am sure we can sort something out but to ensure consistency, and to be fair to other paid advertisers, I must enforce this policy

Musicbusinesslauncher:
**Edited by Boydie - please contact me to advertise on this forum**

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version