When The Beatles Ruled The World

• 14 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: November 02, 2018, 02:30:06 PM »
This song was written quite some time ago.  I started to worry, that it might be lost forever as I hadn't recorded or produced it.  I therefore decided to record a guitar and vocal, basically my ghost tracks for a fuller production.  I stored it away and thought that I would get around to it one day but that day hasn't yet arrived.  There's often a debate about what constitutes a finished song.  To my mind,  this is the stage at which a song is finished.  Any producer can go on to present their interpretation but the song has been written. vocal melody and lyrics, including harmony to add the aforementioned on to. 

I loved the Beatles when I was a boy.  I have fond memories of my Mam's brother's playing their vinyl collection and so by the age of 10, I knew the words to every song of theirs.  That was the start of my love affair with music.  It strikes me that "The message was love."  Despite the introduction of the oral contraceptive pill in the 60's, the assassination of John F Kennedy, still "the girls screamed for the fab four".  I just wanted to juxtapose those ideas to show how influential and important the Beatles were.  It's quite a fun song and I wonder whether I will eventually produce it further. 

I've recently upgraded my soundcloud page and listed my album 'A Kiss Before The Winter'.  I've also included the tracks to my forthcoming album 'Midday in the Universe'.  I don't have many soundcloud buddies on this profile so if you like to listen in.....

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/when-the-beatles-ruled-the-world

When The Beatles Ruled The World

It must have been a thrill to hear the Beatles play.
If only on the radio back in the day.
I hear the girls screamed for the Fab Four.

I was not around to see the sixties swing, 
When skiffle groups would spring up on the block to sing.
I hear the girls screamed for The The Fab Four.

Their music outlived the decade
And the message was love - "she loves you yeah, yeah, yeah".
When The Beatles ruled the world.

A mini revolution in a magic pill.
A gunman on the rooftop, poised to make a kill
still, the girls screamed for The Fab Four.

Their music outlived the decade
And the message was love - "she loves you yeah, yeah, yeah".

The dream was over too soon,
Though I fell in love with the moon.
If music lives in your soul,
make love your goal.

Written by Paul Vasey (c)

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/when-the-beatles-ruled-the-world
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 02:35:50 PM by Wicked Deeds »

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 05:56:28 PM »
Hi @Wicked Deeds , this is very nice in its simple form. I liked the lyrics and the contrast between the message of love and other conflicting stuff going on at the time. The mid break is quite Beatle-esq in itself and the 'She Loves You' interlude is very neat.

I did think some simple harmonies could be added onto the chorus, in the style of the Fab Four, maybe it would work?

Nicely crafted and I enjoyed it.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 09:22:50 PM »
Hi Paul,

Your vocal is giving me a Tom Petty vibe.....I like,

Sounds great
Andy

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 10:15:26 PM »
Some amazing lyrics there mate.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 09:57:04 PM »
Fabulous stuff Paul. I think it works perfectly as it is. Yes of course it could be taken in many directions with additions but personally I think it's just a lovely song and to hear something stripped down like this sometimes adds to a song
 Great stuff Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 12:51:12 PM »
Cheers @MichaelA , I hope to one day get around to producing this song.  Production is for me both a blessing and a hinderance to creativity.  Gone are the days when you could write, record into an analogue tape recorder and then move onto the next song.  I sometimes stop writing because I have so many sketches of songs to be developed further in my writing collection. 

@Cawproductions  - thanks Andy :-)

@Real KevM, thanks so much.  I think that often, my lyrics are overlooked though I do meticulously consider everything that I write down on paper.

Hey @Pompey,  I'm pleased that this recording hit the spot.  Thank you for your soundcloud comment.  :-)

Paul

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 02:04:57 PM »
Hi Paul

I would be tempted to take this song to a typical "Beatles production" level with a simple drums/guitar/bass arrangement, and perhaps a few harmonies. It is of course a completely personal preference. I loved the way you sing what I hear to be an unexpected note on "ruled" (the world). That word alone lifts this song and really make the chorus memorable - dare I say it, I thought that would be typical Beatles melody - right there - class.

A lovely tune, I have given it two listens today and it is well and truly stuck in my head  :)

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 06:09:10 PM »
This is a good song. Glad you didn't lose it!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 08:42:53 PM »
Whato @Wicked Deeds - Nice tune, I think I'm with @Bill Saunders here, maybe a case for doing a 4 piece re mix, no need to ditch this version it's fine as is, but would be interested to hear it, maybe with a McCartnet piano to start with, a la Lady Madonna, or that one on his new album...

Wicked Stuff.

Rich

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 09:53:34 PM »
Paul,

I like the message and love the innocence. The simplicity worked well and allowed the lyrics to shine.
The key was the she loves you counterpoint, which I wanted repeated by the end. Didn't think it would work but it did
 :)
Neil

Ps

I'm a Beatle nut too having brought up on the stuff, got some original singles and EP's my day bought in 64 and 65. The Oldies but Goodies and the Blue double album were the first two I bought [ followed by Slade Alive ] and then complete vinyl album box sets etc.
songwriter of no repute..

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 12:10:26 PM »
Nice homage to the bedrock of modern music.

I was expecting to hear a more Beatlesque track so this was a refreshing surprise, without the expected cliche.

I agree it's a finished song but for me, with this one anyway, I think I'd like to hear it taken just a little further. Perhaps some Beatles style backing vox and counter melodies. I think the yeah yeah yeah could possibly be developed more for this purpose and I was itching to hear the fourth yeaah at some point. That would perhaps have been a nice release towards the end.

Just my thoughts, glad you salvaged this one from the mists of nearly was though.

Yodasdad

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 07:43:20 PM »
Hey Paul, I enjoyed this too - a neat little time machine with lyrics that ping you back to the sixties.  I liked the whimsical feel which I guess would be lost with fuller production.  Delivery made me think of Prefab Sprout.  My only suggestion might be to vary the strumming pattern when you get to the choruses with some fuller, open strokes and keep the choppy 16th (?) strums to the verses so you get some variation to the rhythm.
It's all too beautiful.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 03:14:07 PM »
Hi  Paul,

This is different from you. I normally expect a lush, complex arrangement. The measure of how good a song is how well it sounds on just a single acoustic and this proves that rule. Great lyrics, lovely vocal and confident playing. A lovely listen.

M

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 09:53:45 PM »
Great tune.

Can never go wrong with the Beatles, excellent sentiment and great sampling to convey a cool message.

Sandeep

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 10:52:26 AM »
listened to this awhile ago (in the motor again) was gonna listen again to post a comment but the link seems to be dead :o
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!