Only for Love

• 11 Replies

paulb

« on: October 31, 2018, 07:31:45 AM »
Hello again....I was previously on here as PNB...but deleted my account due to a number of personal reasons. Any way...hope its ok to rejoin?

I'd love to put forward this song for review..

Its actually a song to my mum, who died in 2012. When I was a teenager I used to write songs all the time and she'd sit there and listen for hours...even when she had to tolerate the same 4 bars looping round and round as I perfected the hi-hat! She really was extremely giving and generous...and yet, while she was alive, I never felt able to write a sing for her.... until now.

Its a simple premise; What would we say to each other now?

Heres the link.....   

Only For Love - 76BPM

Verse 1
These words were left unspoken
Why don’t we say them now?
No heart is left unbroken
Your tears may fall now

Pre-Chorus 1
Here, I’ll wait for you
In the colours of the night
Here, I’ll bleed for you
And try to make it right

Chorus 1
Still here
Still strong
Loving every moment in the sun
Still here
Still strong
You’ve got to live your life
Life for love
Only for love
Life for love
Only for love

Verse 2
I’ve seen a thousand glimpses
Yet never quite like this
I’ll take the chance to try
Never known the reason for this feeling

Pre-Chorus 2
Here, I’ll wait for you
In the colours of the night
Here, I’ll bleed for you
And try to make it right

Chorus 3
Still here
Still strong
Loving every moment in the sun
Still here
Still strong
You’ve got to live your life
Life for love
Only for love
Life for love
Only for love

paulb

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 07:22:19 AM »
Bump....would love some feedback if poss. Many thanks.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 08:10:55 AM »
Whato @paulb

Great to have you back, your'e one talented Artist.

Love this song. Here's my feedback, after about 10 listens...and I know it's a pain after all those hours of tracking, mixing etc...

Great voice and piano. Thought the cellos came in a bit early, didn't allow the establishment of the vocal, kinda got in the way, if you know what I mean...

Pre Chorus, very nice, and I'd begin the cellos in there.

I thought the way 'try to make it right' finished sounded dead corny, how about a kind interrupted cadence type thing (makes people guess where it's going) and when the Chorus comes in they feel that they can relax again.

Great Chorus hooks, you might think about really going for it from the beginning of the chorus, it works very well later in the chorus, maybe a 2nd BVox would give the chorus some extra texture.

The bass and classical gtr sounds a bit MIDI-ish have you got a real fretless bass, that would work well on this song. The bass seems not to know if it's providing percussion or bass notes, as it's really low in the mix. I think I'd leave out the bass & classical gtr completely and work more on some vocals to thicken it out, it doesn't need those things in it as it's a moving vocal piece.

The flute arrangement is nice.

I was singing along with it, and i'd love to hear some oohs and aahs in the last chorus.

Nice outro, but leave off the final cellos...

probably would stick a tad bit more verb on the master buss...

Hope this helps Paul.

paulb

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 08:41:35 AM »
Hi CPM!

Great to be back...

Firstly; thank you for your time and the compliments.

1) Cello's.... yes got a bit carried away...will shift them to the pre-chorus
2) "Try to make it right"..... I really regret this line...its lazy writing. Cant change the vox as its a hired singer.
3) Agree on both the guitar and bass....The sounds lack authenticity....will re-work
4) Harmonies....yes...might have to provide my own...or play with Nectar 3 (which I just got my hands on)
5) Will drop final Cello note.

It really does help to get this feedback...I've been listening to few songs on here the past day or two and the standard seems to have really shot up!

Thanks again.

Paul.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 04:33:04 PM »
Hi @paulb

My Pleasure, you might be able to move the notes about in Melodyne, or maybe nectar 3 can move blobs about...? if not whizz them over and I'll see what can be done...

3. It might be best to leave them out all together, so many sad/sentimental songs avoid drums, and it works well, but in other songs liek Don't give up by Kate Bush, the rhtymn was primarily Tony Levin on the bass, with later on Stewart Copeland on just the hji hat -no snare.

Do you give your session guy the dots, or talk him through with a guide vocal, pre sent so he can learn it, or some other way?

Regards

CPM

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 06:42:39 PM »
Hey Paul

I was sold from the intro - lovely piece of nostalgia IMO.
Could be shortened a bit what with today's attention span, maybe by halving the first pre and chorus? Just a thought.

Good write!
Paul

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 07:12:34 PM »
Hi Paul.

Welcome back dude.

Hey I been having a listen to this, and giving the subject, I think you have left it stripped back just right.
I wouldn't drop the cellos, they add to the sadness, And yes, that vocal dude was money well spent, he can sing for sure.

This track doesn't need all that production stuff, It grabs you with its simplicity...

I wouldn't change anything Paul,
Its Sad but the stripped back nature makes it powerful.

Great work dude on a difficult subject for you.

Andy

paulb

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 09:31:09 PM »
Cannot believe that this song only warrants 3 opinions, particularly given the openness of the narrative. I absolutely refuse to accept that it doesn’t have value worth commenting on. . Oh well, I’ll never stop being creative/expressive. Disappointing.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 10:43:28 PM »
Hi @paulb this is a lovely heartfelt song. I think your singer did a great job. I guess I would also pare back on the cello but I find with very sad songs, strings can sometimes tip them over the edge emotion-wise so I think less is more so I think the advice to bring them in later is good. Can't really add anything else of value so I'll just say that I really enjoyed it.

paulb

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 11:00:49 PM »
Thanks monno. Really appreciate your review.

Not sure this forum approach works for me. Perhaps best for me to retire from it.

Can always be reached at pbrankin@icloud.com.

Thanks again

Paul.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 09:39:01 PM »
Hi mate,

What a lovely song!! ...excellent singer, sells the emotion well, I actually thought it was you, but just read some of the comments and am now caught up. That last note on the strings bummed me out a bit, it’s just a bit of a dark chord for me after the hope sung in those last lyrics. (But that’s a tiny nit indeed in what I thought was a lovely song!)

Great stuff mate!  ;D

pnb99

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 03:27:42 PM »
Firstly; thank you for all your feedback.

Secondly; my apologies for being a prima donna and leaving and rejoining the forum again! I have some personal challenges which mean I am behaving a little impulsively at times when things are going my way. My sincere apologies.

I noticed that despite my moaning, I was nominated for Song of the Month (October). So, I decided to take on board most, if not all, your suggestions (cello later, bass a little percussive, midi sounding, ominous last cello note etc) and remix the track with these changes in place. I like it much better...so just goes to show we should listen to feedback..

I'll really try not to throw my toys out the pram again...

Heres the remix.....hope you enjoy.