The Long Dark Stairwell

• 23 Replies

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 10:05:49 PM »
Hey Lynn
I remembered this track from when Keith posted a year and a bit ago.
I listened to it again fresh today and liked it, especially the overall spooky atmosphere, and now I know your voice from other tracks and know a bit about your style, I liked the vocal delivery.  Then I went back to what I wrote the first time I heard it in June 2017 - copied and pasted here...
-----------
Hi Keith
Thanks for sharing this, I've listened a couple of times.
Best bits for me were the menacing ska beat and the drums throughout, the arresting opening, the bubbly synth atmospherics, and the defiance against taking a conventional structure (it's "out there", which is a good thing I think).
The bits I was not too sure about were that the vocal delivery felt a bit half-hearted (maybe that's intentional to make it more hypnotic? but I thought it could be delivered with more character, since the sound of her voice is good - it could play a bigger part in the song), and the outro maybe a bit long.
Hope that helps, looking forward to the next one.
----------
So I think the first time I heard this was the first time I heard your voice.  I thought it was interesting how I liked the delivery a lot more now because I can see you're deliberately being downbeat with it whereas I couldn't tell that first time.  I guess context accounts for a lot in the way we hear things eh?
Hope you are doing well.
Pauly
It's all too beautiful.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 03:52:13 AM »
Really like this dark song and love the guitar work that comes in at around 3 mins but was very disappointed that the drums didn't come back in after a minute or so..nevertheless..love the song :)

best, Kevin :)

Thanks Kevin. Nice to see you back! I'm glad you like it. I'll listen again soon to see if I hear what you mean about the drums. I didn't notice that.
Hey Lynn
I remembered this track from when Keith posted a year and a bit ago.
I listened to it again fresh today and liked it, especially the overall spooky atmosphere, and now I know your voice from other tracks and know a bit about your style, I liked the vocal delivery.  Then I went back to what I wrote the first time I heard it in June 2017 - copied and pasted here...
-----------
Hi Keith
Thanks for sharing this, I've listened a couple of times.
Best bits for me were the menacing ska beat and the drums throughout, the arresting opening, the bubbly synth atmospherics, and the defiance against taking a conventional structure (it's "out there", which is a good thing I think).
The bits I was not too sure about were that the vocal delivery felt a bit half-hearted (maybe that's intentional to make it more hypnotic? but I thought it could be delivered with more character, since the sound of her voice is good - it could play a bigger part in the song), and the outro maybe a bit long.
Hope that helps, looking forward to the next one.
----------
So I think the first time I heard this was the first time I heard your voice.  I thought it was interesting how I liked the delivery a lot more now because I can see you're deliberately being downbeat with it whereas I couldn't tell that first time.  I guess context accounts for a lot in the way we hear things eh?
Hope you are doing well.
Pauly

So it was you! That was the comment that made me doubt my singing on this. Thanks for listening again. Really appreciate that, Pauly. I'm glad I've grown on you. Haha. Yes, I'm doing very well, thank you. Hope you are too.

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 11:03:22 AM »
Hi Lynne

I've just come across this song and thought it was great, nicely creepy with an innocent sounding vocal, just adds to the creepiness, I agree this should be used in a horror film, it would give just the right atmosphere.

Cheers, Mikey

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 05:42:45 PM »
Hi Lynne. Although I don't think this is your best work I think there is still a lot to like about it. It's drenched in atmosphere and the drums are fantastic. I think the vocals could do with a bit more dynamic variation. Perhaps a few blood curdling screams here and there 😀

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 06:21:09 PM »
Hi Lynne

I've just come across this song and thought it was great, nicely creepy with an innocent sounding vocal, just adds to the creepiness, I agree this should be used in a horror film, it would give just the right atmosphere.

Cheers, Mikey

Thanks Mikey! I really appreciate that. Creepy is good.

Hi Lynne. Although I don't think this is your best work I think there is still a lot to like about it. It's drenched in atmosphere and the drums are fantastic. I think the vocals could do with a bit more dynamic variation. Perhaps a few blood curdling screams here and there 😀

Thanks Micky. The question is, who does the screaming, and why?

That might be another song. Haha.

Lynn

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 08:12:06 PM »
Interesting listen.

Has a real 80s , Shakespeare Sister feel.

Love the special sound effects makes me feel that I'm in a scene from a scary movie, but gripping at the same time.

A good listen.

Sandeep

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 09:07:20 AM »
Fantastic heady late night atmosphere. In my head I could see the parts of the video to "If you really love nothing"

In many ways, I think yours is a more interesting song.

When people say "should I...?" I usually say "Why don't you ... and then see if you like it?"! But to me the vocals sound as if they were meant that way, they come over quite dry and direct, in your head.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 11:25:16 PM »
@redrhodie Lynn.. I love this - your vocal is perfect on it, I really wouldn't change a thing about it - the track has such a dark atmosphere to it - I love the instrumentation and arrangement but your vocal is fab.. just fab! Kudos to you two!

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2018, 08:14:06 PM »
Nice work guys! I love dark tracks like this. The music is fab and interesting. Lynn, u captured the mood brilliantly on your vocal performance, so don’t worry about that mate!😄🎶👍🏻🎶

In terms of constructive feedback, I did kinda want a few more twists and turns with the vocal melody, it is quite repetitive. The variation in the music does help with that though.

That’s all I’ve got though.  :D

Good stuff!! 😄🎶👊🏻🎶🙋🏼‍♂️