The Long Dark Stairwell

• 23 Replies

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« on: October 21, 2018, 04:58:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

Listen to and hull soul collective The Long Dark Stairwell by faraway my lovely #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/user-468459034/long-dark-stairwell-fourth-final-master

This song was the first collaboration between Keith and us. At the time, this was a huge leap for me as a singer. It was the first time I felt like my voice took on the personality of the character. I was still just learning to record myself and still figuring out stuff like the mic has a front and a back. Haha. But I was really pleased with it at the time. However, I listened to it yesterday, and I'm not so sure anymore. What do you think? Should I redo the vocals?

The Long Dark Stairwell

She said you're so slow
Why don't you take me home right now
Blue velvet midnight lace
Red lipstick smeared across his face
There was a long dark stairwell
A fire escape in the moonlight
The smell of rain and jasmine
Breathlessness dizziness

She turns away from him
Long neck craving his attention
Red neon flashing sign
Electric hum buzzing in the background
Silly intuition time to push
Time to pull
Desperateness distortion
Not knowing what to do

She sighed hold me tight
We'll enter paradise tonight
Wild orchid growing free
White kirtle rides above her knee
Slowly kissing her lips
Gentle hands stroke her hips

Taste her sweet perfume....

Thanks for helping!
Lynn

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 05:51:56 PM »
I like it Lynn. It's really atmospheric and dark and your vocal suits it perfectly. I wouldn't change a thing  :)

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 05:29:09 PM »
I like it too! It’s really, really creepy and you get into character brilliantly. Although I never heard her do anything like this, it reminded me of Suzanne Vega. Something in the tone of your voice, and I would not re-record.

As for the song itself, I can imagine it being in a scary musical theatre production!

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 02:01:32 PM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate your time and comments. I actually tried to rerecord it anyway, but it turns out you were right. It was fine the way it was.

Thanks again,
Lyny

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 07:21:35 PM »
I haven't heard you sound this way before.
but as active as you are and also collaborating with a band I guess you have quite "back catalogue".

the lyrics are intriguing literature and the sound, groove n mood held my attention

well done Lyn.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 02:45:38 PM »
Hi,

Great song as we approach Halloween...scary. I can also imagine this in a musical of a spooky nature. Your vocals are a little detached a la Marlene Dietrich but it worked for her and it works here. If I'm being hyper-critical I could say it was a little long and repetitive but otherwise an intriguing little number.

M

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 08:53:45 PM »
Liking this one. Strong rhythm, eerie vocals and physci-Arabaisn guitar all playing their hyponotic part. Oh and honourable mention to the feedback ending
:-)
neil
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 10:25:38 PM by Neil C »
songwriter of no repute..

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 11:38:48 PM »
Hello beautiful,
The song and the story have left me with a very good taste in my mouth. You say that you should repeat the voice. That's a decision of yours, although I think if you ask it, it's because you're not sure. Would you like to repeat the voice now that you have more experience and you have heard it?
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 01:03:18 PM »
@Rightly , thanks! Yeah, I got into this one. Kind of surprised myself. Haha. I'm glad you liked it.

Thanks @montydog. I guess it is scary. I was picturing a film noir story, which is kind of scary, especially for the hero. Haha. I disagree that it's too long, but I really appreciate that you listened to the whole thing and commented.

Thanks so much @Neil C . I'm really glad you liked it. I agree with the ending. It gives me butterflies in my stomach.

Hello beautiful,
The song and the story have left me with a very good taste in my mouth. You say that you should repeat the voice. That's a decision of yours, although I think if you ask it, it's because you're not sure. Would you like to repeat the voice now that you have more experience and you have heard it?

Hi Mora,
I think I was considering redoing the vocals because time has changed and I've gotten stronger. There's a vulnerability in my voice that I think only I hear. As I tried rerecording it recently, I realized maybe that was a strength, not a weakness.

I don't think I could redo this song. It's like trying to meet someone you fell in love with the first time you met them again. That first time was magical, and can't be repeated. Instead, your love for them grows into something like a tree that drops its leaves in autumn and is reborn in spring, over and over again. Its roots grow deeper as it weathers storms and seasons. That's the story for a new song. Haha.

Thanks again, everyone, for your comments. I appreciate them,
Lynn

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 06:02:53 PM »
Very theatrical, especially the vocal and actually the drums, with their attention grabbing fills.

This is the sort of track that would sound great live at a late night intimate club, packed and sweat falling off the ceiling! Totally hypnotic and creative too. Good work, and my it must be scary in Hull!  ;D
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 09:19:00 PM »
Hi Lynn

Very experimental.....sounds like a drug induced instrumental......Hey I am not assuming anything here

Your vocal is dark....fits the track perfectly.

Great work.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 01:55:43 AM »
Very theatrical, especially the vocal and actually the drums, with their attention grabbing fills.

This is the sort of track that would sound great live at a late night intimate club, packed and sweat falling off the ceiling! Totally hypnotic and creative too. Good work, and my it must be scary in Hull!  ;D

I'd definitely be in blue velvet for that performance. Yeah. That would be cool.

Hi Lynn

Very experimental.....sounds like a drug induced instrumental......Hey I am not assuming anything here

Your vocal is dark....fits the track perfectly.

Great work.

Thanks so much! I don't mind that we sound stoned. I'll take that as a compliment.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 11:26:13 AM »
Thanks for the comments, especially Neil on the feedback at the end.

Hull's not scary at all and I've been free from drugs and alcohol for decades.

Nothing wrong with your vocal Lynn, it goes with the music perfectly.

The ending reflects what happened next. A shorter ending would suggest it didn't end well, but maybe that's just me.

Thanks again,

Keith

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 12:16:06 AM »
Thanks for the comments, especially Neil on the feedback at the end.

Hull's not scary at all and I've been free from drugs and alcohol for decades.

Nothing wrong with your vocal Lynn, it goes with the music perfectly.

The ending reflects what happened next. A shorter ending would suggest it didn't end well, but maybe that's just me.

Thanks again,

Keith

A shorter ending would imply she killed him. Instead, they're watching baseball. Haha.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 11:31:01 AM »
Really like this dark song and love the guitar work that comes in at around 3 mins but was very disappointed that the drums didn't come back in after a minute or so..nevertheless..love the song :)

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!