KILLING IS MY BUSINESS - A cover version of Anthony Lane's song

• 17 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: October 17, 2018, 09:52:10 PM »
It's been a while and I think this is a pleasant way to say hi to forum members again.

https://soundcloud.com/the-vanity-rules/killing-is-my-business

I feel that I've known tone for such a long time., since the early days of the forum, though we've never actually met.  I've produced songs several years ago, for both tone and his partner Cath. I love his album 'Look What We've become' and have  to say that there are two very fine productions of his song 'Killing Is My Business' on this album.  In truth, I just wanted to tip my hat to tone and declare my respect for him as a quality songwriter.  I therefore decided to cover his song of the same aforementioned title and he generously granted me permission to do so.

I made a start but was quickly derailed due to personal problems.  I finally set up my studio last week and have spent a little time presenting this deliciously macabre song in keeping with my own vision.  I've changed things a little but it is still unmistakably tone's skill as a writer that has informed the new direction.  I'd like to urge tone to provide a link to his excellent album and also urge forum members to check it out, perhaps even consider buying a copy. I can guarantee that you'll hear the work of a first class songsmith.

Best wishes

Paul (Wicked Deeds)

https://soundcloud.com/the-vanity-rules/killing-is-my-business

tone - My apologies for changing your arrangement 'round a little.

Killing is my business

these nights when I close my eyes

and the demons are gathering round

two wrongs are the rights I'm given

before I'm cutting you down

killing is my business

and business is good

is it really wrong to use my heart

the way I do

your people are raining terror on me

you know what they do

I'm not crusading I'm caring in armour

I suffer for you

killing is my business

and business is good

the way I do

only for good

I need to feel heat in my veins I need to be moved

but I can't be moved

I'm not gonna grow old

not gonna stand down

I'm not gonna grow poor

I worked too hard for that

I'm not gonna grow old

not gonna stand down

I'm not gonna grow poor

I worked too hard for that

and business is good

the way I do

killing is my business

and business is good

the way I do

the way I do

Written by Anthony Lane

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 01:18:25 AM »
Very nice! The way you use your voice is very moving.
Congratulations
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 12:50:37 PM »
Hi,

Your skills as an arranger and vocalist are on show here. You interpret beautifully - I would never know you hadn't written it if you hadn't said. This is a fantastically well put together song which is pretty hard to fault. I'm sure Anthony is over the moon with it.

Lovely.

M

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 01:32:06 PM »
Superb song!!

and with your talents you can't go wrong
Listened to it thrice!!

Well done!!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 01:46:37 PM »
Nice n creepy. You brought a lot of atmosphere into the lyrics, and emphasized the darkness really well. I'd like to hear the original. You've done an excellent cover.

Lynn

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 06:13:25 PM »
Wow, should have been the theme song for 'Killing Eve' which I am kind of hooked on at the moment. Very haunting interpretation of the song, clever subtleties cutting through all the time. The chorus is blissful and then that main motif guitar is explosively dynamic.

Fantastic song, same goes for the arrangement and performance!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 09:35:53 PM »
it's good to receive such positive feedback.  Thank you.  I worried a little as I initially set out to copy tone's structure but then it suddenly dawned on me that I could deviate and do something slightly different since the definitive  versions already exist and whatever I did, I couldn't change that.  I then  thought ok, let's make this direct, I'm going to shorten the length but have several contrasting sections to maintain interest. The song was predictably crying out for a double chorus at the end with a production that became progressively bigger. Suddenly, I thought, the song had delivered already and with the concluding line "I've worked too hard for that." I decided to go with  an outro section that embraced a sinister chaos; a kind of mayhem that might suggest the business at hand. An important  part of that was to revisit the dark cello  part which I overlapped three times and I also decided to throw in the lead guitar motif. Altogether, they suggest that something isn't quite right and that's exactly what I wanted.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:37:42 PM by Wicked Deeds »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 10:40:40 PM »
@Wicked Deeds Great to see you back on the forum Paul and such an imaginative cover of one of @tone songs. If anyone hasn't listened to (or should I say purchased) the album please do as it is top quality. Your interpretation is clever and sympathetic but you add to it as well. Top quality songwriting arranging and playing

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 03:39:21 PM »
I love the original, and this is a really great take on it. Love it.
@tone should be flattered as hell.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 09:23:14 AM »
As noted by a couple of folks here, I'm extremely honoured and flattered to be covered by someone of Paul's musical stature. He's expertly captured the atmosphere of the song, and managed to make it entirely his own with a classy as hell arrangement.

He's really pushed the drums and guitar in a way that my version doesn't, and it's really added some power and focus to the song. The 3-note guitar riff is inspired!

I feel like I've just taken a big step up the songwriting ladder - a recorded cover version of one of my songs. Didn't think I would ever experience that.

@Wicked Deeds thank you so much for this. It's an absolute treat for me and as I said earlier, an honour that you liked the song enough to spend so much time creating this recording - especially since you have dozens of your own songs unrecorded - and I know they're all top notch like the rest of your songs. I hope you're making another album soon?
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 10:38:53 AM »
Paul,
Great to hear this fab tune in such safe hands, its got such a great hook.
done with taste as ever, the highlights to me are the lovely Coldplay style repeating guitar refrains, classy.
Neat one
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 09:03:38 PM »
It's hard to know what to say. I'm overwhelmed with the positive comments. I work hard producing and give my heart and soul to the task.  It's lovely to connect with fellow writers and musicians and I am genuinely surprised and appreciative to read the great reviews.  It's funny how people connect through music despite never having met before.  I wish that I had the energy to produce a dozen songs of this calibre and a new album would he bourn. This is a great forum. The whole process of producing this song has meant so much to me.

Paul

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 09:44:08 PM »
Hi @Wicked Deeds , I haven't heard the original song, but you have done a great version. musically it has really nice variety throughout, the structure is spot on, and the vocal is great, I love the creepy feel to the lyrics too, overall a great job.

Cheers,  Mikey

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 08:47:12 PM »
I've not heard the original (I will seek it out), so I am coming at this with "fresh" ears so to speak. I love the "business is good" line. The three note guitar hook is extraordinary - I must admit I am seduced by speed merchant guitarists too, but - just goes to show, when you play 'em right - wow - what an impact three notes can have. The production is very polished.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 11:13:48 AM »
If I could just point listeners in the direction of:

anthonylane.co.uk

His music is worth listening to. 

thanks

Paul