konalavadome

Tennesse Starlight

• 15 Replies

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« on: October 14, 2018, 11:39:28 PM »
Often put together some country but not often put things up here, but thought I would share one.
Interesting to see if it works for you guys on here.

It features some delicious pedal steel and dobro from a guy called Tobias Wilson who works on fiverr.com and I can certainly recommend if you are trying to do something a little twangy.

Enjoy!

-------

TENNESSEE STARLIGHT
(T J Boswell)

I've seen
A lot of beautiful sights
I've camped out 'neath the northern lights
Seen the sky 'bove the smokey mountains on fire
And still so much left to see...

Take me anywhere
Cos the view is alright
If you're by my side
And The last thing I see
When I'm closing my eyes
Is you laying in my arms under Tennessee Starlight

There's some things, they just seem so right
Like a cold beer on a warm summer night
Like the feel of the breeze through the old oak trees in fading light
I just watch as you drift away

Take me anywhere
Cos it just feels so right
When you're by my side
And The last thing I see
When I'm closing my eyes
Is you laying in my arms under Tennessee Starlight

And when I wake up by your side
There's nothing more I need
I really do believe...

℗ T J Boswell

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 09:19:39 AM »
I really liked this once it got going, that Country style instrumentation is so fine and easy, really well played and balanced in the mix.

Nice, heart warming idea to the song and your vocal performance really suits the whole thing, which overall is very polished.

The only slightly distracting thing for me was the breathiness of the opening section. I think it might be worth stepping back from the mic when you breath, or else snip-edit that vocal track a little, trying to make it still sound natural, but taking out the loudest inhalations. I know some people don't mind this totally natural breathing/singing thing, so if you're doing it on purpose, then just ignore me, as I know it can be about personal taste.

Overall a fine tune, lovely arrangement and an enjoyable listen.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 08:26:05 AM »
Whato @tboswell

Really like this, I'm a sucker for a pedal steel, thanks for divulging your sources, I would agree with MicahelA reagrding the breaths, but the quality of the sounds is really very good, the opening acoustic guitar, very very nice, lovely BVox too, nice and subtle, great placement of instruments, top notch.

Hope this helps

Rich

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 08:42:35 AM »

Love this Tom ;D ;D

First song of the day....and a real beauty ;D
 Only thoughts I had were regarding the intro/start.
 Took about a minute to get going.  Would have liked to
 have heard some slide featured right from the off....
 But what do I know ::)

Great arrangement, great singing, great song..
 You're a pro Tom ;D ;D  Loved it...

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 07:29:13 PM »
Another one here who really likes it when it gets going. Have to agree on the breaths comments - struck me before I read the comments .. really catchy when it gets into the flow of it. Nice chorus! Very polished sound @tboswell !

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 11:11:14 PM »
Hey Tom, I love me some country, I also love that you didn’t try to sing with a twang.  :D It’s a lovely song with some lovely imagery. The music sounds lovely and you sound great.

My concern is that it took too long for me to get into it. I think you need the bare bones start for sure, but Imho I don’t think you need that first chorus, OR..you need to dress that first chorus up a little more. I gave this a few listens mate...I was trying to figure out if you could sing the first verse, then have a 2 or 4 bar instrumental bit and then straight into the second verse as you have it now...does that make sense? It’s just an idea of course and might sound naff, but, again, in my humble opinion, the back end of this song deserves a better first minute.

Sorry if that’s a bit blunt mate, just trying to help.  :D You know I come in peace!!🎶👊🏻🎶😄

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 09:00:34 PM »
The genre is very well suited to your vocals Tom but then again all your work is top class. Pedal steel is top work. Great bvs as well.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »
Hi,

This is very much my thing. You have a great voice but I didn't like the way you sang this - the twang is too much and sounds forced and unnatural. Also, it takes too long to get going - the slow beginning hampers the song IMHO. Once it's up and running and putting the vocal issue aside, it works beautifully. The dobro and pedal steel is beautifully done as your harmonies. Super lyrics, lovely arrangement.

Very personal thing the singing but that was a major issue for me. Don't like to be negative especially when the rest is so good.

M

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 09:07:29 PM »
I'm no expert in this style of music at all, and when I saw "country" I nearly passed it by - not my genre. However, I always enjoy listening to your voice - so I am glad I gave it a whirl.

In no way did I get frustrated by the long intro - there is no need to stick to some prescribed way of doing things and I loved the first section of the song. Beautiful instrumentation and top notch production. There is honestly nothing I don't like about the song.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 11:13:05 PM »
Tom,
Lots to like here. Just a great mid-paced pop song, all wrapped up beautifully by your fab vocals and instrumentation. I particularly taken by the bass. No issues here. Might take up the giver recommendation too.
 :) :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

paulb

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 03:35:05 PM »
Great sound...perhaps could do with a little more bottom end but overall very nice.

I'm another one who felt the intro could be shorter or could build a little to keep interest before it really kicks in.

Thought the vocal tone was great...but possibly over "countrified" in terms of twang...but thats a really minor criticism.

Backing vocals sound great with a nice stereo spread.

Well done.

Paul.

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 12:06:12 AM »
I think the same as Bill Saunders It's not my style but I liked listening to you.
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 09:29:39 PM »
Hi Tom,

This has a great country sound, Also your vocal is super suited to this. nice work there.

Very easy listen, not going to criticise anything as it flows along great and sounds cool. For me production is tight and mix sounds pro.

I don't generally comment on lyrics as I am not that great myself at them. But they fit and the whole song as a whole sounds good.
Did you get someone to play the steel guitar or was it samples?
Myself and Mikey would love a good slide player to feature on our stuff.

Great work,

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 10:14:00 PM »
Really professional sounding, your voice is pretty amazing.

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 10:22:08 PM »
Very nice - hate country music with a vengeance - usually find it quite cheesey - but this is low fat cheese - i think the superb vocals and good production will always help but no I still a'int buying a check shirt - unless its a Ben Sherman Button Down....