konalavadome

Strange Soundcloud Stuff

• 7 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: October 14, 2018, 09:34:31 AM »
Anybody else experienced this ?

Recently I seem to be getting around 50 plays a day for one of my songs on a regular basis, at the same time and all in the USA. Seems to be a random song each time. I guess they're not real plays, just some kinda bot behaviour. Just wandered if anybody else had experienced this ?

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 05:13:43 PM »
I also recently got bang on 50 plays in a day for one of my songs. In stats I could see who it was and so went on their page only  to see they were a 'viral listens' vendor, and figured they'd done this so I might start buying fake listens off them.

So I reported them as spam.

I know some people buy fake listens, but if they are discovered  Soundcloud say they would suspend the account. So this is not something I am remotely interested in.

Don't see the point really, as it's usually obvious if a track has loads of plays but very few likes or comments.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 05:47:52 PM »
Yes, weird - 50 different "bots" though and like you not remotely interested, can't see the point

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 10:31:35 PM »
Yo pomps.

I looked at my soundcloud page and it has 52 plays in the last 24 hours,but that's from a selection of maybe 40 odd songs,not just one track. I 'know' those who have played/commented etc,so I'd assume no funny business there.

As Michael says,those who have paid for plays are easy to spot. 123k plays and half a dozen likes give the game away.

Everyone likes to get their music out there,but in the soundcloud community,paying for stuff will result in you being avoided by those who use the platform as it was intended and you'll get less people willing to give you time. The same applies to 'follower collectors,who get you to follow them,then unfollow you. After a while their profile may read 7k followers,but only following 50. Look at me,how popular I can be without trying.  ::) This has nothing whatsoever to do with music and they must spend more time and money fecking around with their stats than they do composing music. Sadder than a sad thing.

But hey,it takes all sorts.  :)

There is a core of good people on s/c who only wish to share/listen and collaborate. To my mind they are the life blood of the site.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 06:49:34 PM »
I've had the same thing Pompey. 2 songs getting 50 hits overnight. I think it's probably a glitch.

Another thing I've noticed, which is not a glitch is that I tend to aquire random repost channels immediately after posting a song. Not sure how this works.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 12:02:47 PM »
Ditto ...

Very sad indeed, but to be honest (sic.)  I couldn't give a stuff if I have 5 plays per day or 50,000, I just want my profile to grow organically, and see how the algorithms that underpin SC work, whether there is a logarithmic rate of change at certain thresholds based on the complex structure of social media.

I'm finding it much more interesting contacting other artists directly , just saying why I like their songs, rather than a anonymous click on an anonymous heart icon, in my view that's more friendly, and in some cases has led to collabs, that I would never have expected.

cpm

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 01:12:40 PM »
Nope - haven't seen any 50 play behaviour on my songs.
Now I'm worried that bots don't like my stuff..  :(

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 06:06:46 PM »
I have totally lost my soundcloud account - I think i was hacked or something - cant get into it....Had to open a new one.