The undisputed. Can we make a list?

• 37 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2018, 08:28:41 AM »
OK, left field entries are allowed

I missed  Drums - Fred Astaire - a (white) tie with Billy Cobham

If you've never seen this....Enjoy!!! and yes he really is playing them.

Rich

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2018, 01:23:55 PM »
I would dispute Bowie (paulski grabs a shield to protect against turd launchers)

I would add:

The Hollies
Jim Croce
George Jones
Jimmy Webb
Randy Newman
George Gershwin
Cole Porter
J.S. Bach  ;D

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2018, 04:08:56 PM »
Sort of feel like this has just become a thread of people we like. Think there are many many names on here that could be ‘disputed’. Seems to me an undisputed legend should have something special and magical about their music, and have role boundaries, not necessarily just good songwriters or virtuosos but a legend that encompasses everything they do. Think a lot of these names are just talented people but don’t think they are in the same league as people like Bowie, Prince, Paul Simon etc.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2018, 06:19:35 PM »
Sort of feel like this has just become a thread of people we like. Think there are many many names on here that could be ‘disputed’. Seems to me an undisputed legend should have something special and magical about their music, and have role boundaries, not necessarily just good songwriters or virtuosos but a legend that encompasses everything they do. Think a lot of these names are just talented people but don’t think they are in the same league as people like Bowie, Prince, Paul Simon etc.

Surely EVERY name on the list can be disputed? We are dealing with subjective tastes in music after all. A lot of the names on the list don't register with me (unsurprisingly some may submit given I'm a modern pop indulging philistine....) and the music of some of the names I'm little more than totally indifferent to. Are they good songwriters/ They probably are just not necessarily in line with my tastes. I'd have Max Martin, Ed Sheeran, Bonnie McKee, Starrah, Julia Michaels etc on the list but I can feel the irascible outrage form those with more purist tastes at the mere suggestion. What is the measure for 'undisputability'? Sales? Well, if so surely the likes of Sheeran and Max Martin make the list. Chart success? Ditto. Or is it tastes/style? If it's that, then any an every name will be disputable....

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2018, 07:00:55 PM »
For modern Western popular music only, these are indisputable (to me) and should be for everyone:
• Lennon/McCartney (only as a pair, not solo)
• Bob Dylan
• Hank Williams Sr.
• George & Ira Gershwin
• Stevie Wonder
• Thelonious Monk
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:02:34 PM by PopTodd »

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2018, 09:00:59 PM »
For modern Western popular music only, these are indisputable (to me) and should be for everyone:
• Lennon/McCartney (only as a pair, not solo)
• Bob Dylan
• Hank Williams Sr.
• George & Ira Gershwin
• Stevie Wonder
• Thelonious Monk

I think you forgot Irving Berlin ;)

Also, I prefer a bit of Mingus to Monk. 'Disputable' seems to be a tricky part of this list requirement...
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2018, 09:20:09 PM »
"Who's my hero? The unnerving, unswerving Irving Berlin" - Paddy McAloon. I know that I'm biased but I guess both these guys should be included.

Paul

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2018, 08:30:22 AM »
Maybe it's easier to find the undisputed worst artist?