'70's disco/funk tune - Dance HJ - Now with Sax solo

• 38 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 10:44:21 AM »
Whato @diademgrove - Thanks for taking the time to listen, a veiled compliment indeed if you knew it wasn't your thing, and yet you took a listen...It would assist me if you could put timings in so I know where you mean... :)

The thing about this song is that it's designed for an edm dance club, it needs to be a bit more drawn out than say a pop tune, people are going to want to be 'in the groove' and that usually takes a while to establish, hence the length of the intro, your point about the brass seems plausible.

With the mm mm mm's I'm kinda happy where they are.

What do you mean about the 'stat finish'?

I give every suggestion consideration. If I decide to incorporate you ideas I'll be in touch.

Thanks again.

cpm

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 01:40:23 PM »
Definitely groovy. I think maybe it needs a bit more drama earlier on. Not sure how, but I'm thinking something in a higher register, possibly a horn, guitar, or voice. The pace seems a little slow for a dance song of that era to me, but I am thinking of Chic, who is maybe later. Love the bass. Sounds great.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 01:42:04 PM »
Hi Rich,

stat is a spelling mistake, it should read strat.

I find the intro up to 2:57 too long. I think it may be because the bass is too dominant. That may be my personal taste. I prefer my bass lines to be more felt rather than heard. The breakdown immediately follows and is the instrumental is finished off with the strat guitar part which I like from 4:16.

I hope that helps,

Keith

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 02:03:52 PM »
Hi @redrhodie - Thanks for the listen, This was a point I considered, there were a few factors that influenced my decision on this.

HJ doesn't like too much talking/singing in her tracks,  I could hear an obvious Sax solo in there, but these days I don't know any sax players that could rip down a horn like it needed, I'm not able to programme a midi sax convincingly...It's either Dave Sandborn, Charlie Parker or no one  8).

It IS slow, your completely right (120bpm), and I often record tracks at that speed and hoik it up to 135 when I'm mastering, but after countless numbers of pre release car and walking along the river plays I felt kind of happy with 120, I thought it didn't plod, but rather a side-together-round-the-handbags, than a get up and boogie.

Glad you dig the bass, I was also very happy with the sound, it's only a second hand cheapie Yamaha, but with the help of a free plugin I found called ISOL8, (for those who are interested I just took out the HF, and bingo there it was, THAT sound!) it just popped out like a really decent Precision Bass, so I was happy as larry 'bout that. To me it was really important to play the bass all the way through, not just make a loop of it, as you can hear I have moments when it gets a bit uneven, I wanted this feeling of REAL playing to come through as in the '70's there wasn't so much of that going on, so warts an all.

The is the possibility that there'll be a vocal mix of this coming up in the future, and I think for that I'll crank it up to 135.

Chic, now that's a groove.

That slap bass was just a bit of fun  ;D, played on the same Yam bass with a different bunch of EQ and a doubler (I do have another bass which is miles better for slap bass, but this just sounded right, for the era)

Anyway, glad you liked it.

Rich

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »
Whato @diademgrove - Aaah all is clear now...To me the intro was up until the persistent bass riff comes in,  OK - I get it now, this is definitely not a bass in the background song, so I do understand your comments.

Yip I'm rather fond of that strat, can do all sorts of sounds.

Cheers Keith, thanks for the comments, all very interesting and they ALL help.

Regards

Rich

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 05:54:46 PM »
Man I especially dig that Slap bass that comes in around 4 mins! Just awesome! The track itself isn’t quite my usual cup of tea if I’m honest, but I can appreciate the workload and all those twists and turns u make around that groove. The brass was cool aswell.

Nice work man! I hope your friend loved it! ;D

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 07:37:31 PM »
@LostBoy - I hope you weren't lost in space...Anyhow, glad you liked it, and my Slapping, to be honest, I had an awful thought that all that stuff came a bit later in pop, I know Stanley Clarke was doing it but 'Schooldays' wasn't mainstream at the time,  Anyway, glad it got your toes a tappin'

Thanks also for the nod to the Brass, I was secretly pleased with how that came out  8)

As to whether she liked it, hmmm, she said she loved it, she was happy, that's the main thing. Her Crew is quite a forthright bunch and don't suffer fools easily, but a very serious about music and really like ice cream and beer!

Thanks very much again LB, do love your Astronaut (never said that before!)

Rich

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2018, 08:25:23 AM »
Whato PJ @pompeyjazz - Thanks for the tip, I'll check this out.

Regards

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2018, 08:40:29 AM »
There's loads of goodies in there but you do have to dig about a bit. There is some great solo stuff in Soundkit 5 & 4 I think @cowparsleyman

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2018, 08:49:10 AM »
@pompeyjazz - Thanks Man, your always so helpful.

Rich

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2018, 03:11:09 PM »
Hi,

I am not a fan of this kind of thing at all but I thought this was an excellent piece of music, if a little long. It sounded authentically in da goove to me but I have to say, I was drifting off  after around 3 minutes. I could maybe furnish you with some sax if could let me have your stems and a chord chart. No guarantees but I'd be willing to give it a try.

M

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2018, 04:23:35 PM »
Whato @montydog - Thanks very much for the listen, I appreciate it even more when you know it's not your thing...yet you still give it a listen, thanks Mr Dog.

Sure I'll Whizz the Stems over...it does mean you have to listen to it again...and again.... :D

mmm mmm mmm - You could always use it to get you off to sleep, of an evening...What is your bag? It is a dance tune, so I thought folk wouldn't be too happy if the groove petered out after 3mins, tried to give em something to keep the interest too, hence the Slap thang, but I'm sure there'll be a couple of remixes....Watch this space/dancefloor.

Regards

Rich  :)

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2018, 05:24:58 PM »
Great tune.

Love the bass vibe and takes me back to my youth.

Excellent production....can't wait to hear my vocal input.

A good listen.

Sandeep

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2018, 01:39:42 PM »
Hi @Movin Flavour - Thanks very much for the listen and the kind words, much appreciated. I am planning a few remixes...

Regards

Rich