konalavadome

'70's disco/funk tune - Dance HJ - Now with Sax solo

• 38 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: October 05, 2018, 08:48:51 AM »
This is a tune that is part of my attempt to do something from different genres, my last piece 'Looking for something on my radio' was supposed to have an '80's electro/pop vibe, this one was inspired by a walk to work (I walk along the river for an hour or so).

Stumbled upon  Herbie Hancock, I used to like some of his earlier stuff, then Kool and the gang, so this was inspired by them. I also tried to encapsulate the essence of what made me unstick myself from the dance floor wall and actually dance, and it was tight brass, percussion,repetitive bass guitar line, and that smacky snare, the 'clap trap' came a bit later, early '80's as I remember.

Hope you like it. I'm up for any comment/criticism/ideas...

If your'e wondering about the Seoul connection, I have a friend who is a DJ there, and this was her birthday present...mad on edm, but she digs this.

Lyrics  ;D

mmm  mmm mmm

For those who might be interested...(I'm always intrigued to know how you guys did it..)
The DAW is Magix Samplitude Prox 3 Suite
It was the first time I took the time to programme the Spark2 drum machine properly. The snare sound is actually 2 tracks of a clap and a snare.
The Brass was Magix Independance, pop brass and trumpet section together on different midi channels, though an Aphex Exciter plug.
The Bass is an old Yamaha rbx350, through a Roland cube 100 Bassman cosm, with a Ampeg fliptop amp sim plug.
The guitar is a strat.
There are lots of other plugins to give it a late '70's sound like the Waves NLS Summer
SSL buss comp on the master buss
Can't remember what the synth VSTs were.

I would have loved to have had a sax solo on it, but I don't know anyone nowadays...  :-\

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 08:00:08 PM by cowparsleyman »

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 06:24:51 PM »

Hey Rich  ;D

Yeah...liking this.  Nice groove, with that 'relentless' bass. Makes me want to pick up a guitar and jam along with it ;D ;D
 Some lovely twists and turns, especially like the brass, and the unexpected flourishes you've put in there.  Initially, I thought
 it was a bit long....but no ;D ;D ;D .  Listened to it a few times now, and it's a definite 'grower'.

A little glimpse into your imagination there Rich ;D ;D and a great sight it was ;D ;D
 Now where's that guitar....some free jazz would be appropriate here, I think ;D ;D ;D

Classy stuff old chap  ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 08:05:07 PM »
Whato Mr B

Thanks for taking a listen, you old funk meister, you.

Glad you like it, send me over the guitar stems (no loops allowed, you know how it is  ;D) and I'll do a jazz funk remix...honestly, I think this has a few remixes in it...

Regarding the length, I was careful to ensure there was something new, just as you thought you knew what was coming...like a jazz solo, too many times, I've seen cracking jazz players get self indulged, then it's 'I think I'll get a pint' time.

Nice, great.

Thanks again

Rich

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 09:31:25 PM »
Nice work Rich. Love bass riff. That's effing genius man. Rhodes work well and nice discordant stuff on the brass. Very realistic. Hats off to you man as that's very difficult to get right. Ooh. Love that Moog  :) Good on you for pushing the boundaries genre wise. I love to do that as you know. Keeps ya fresh  :D Top work mate

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 10:04:28 PM »
@pompeyjazz - thanks for the listen, and really appreciate your feedback, glad you dig it, i’ve always tried to keep trying new things, keep my mind fresh, learn new things, doesn’t always work, this year is a gas.

I respect your work PJ, and i just don’t know how you keep producing them so fast, you must never sleep with so much inspiration, just keep it coming man.

Thanks again

Rich

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 10:39:37 PM »
Fuuuuuunky! Good work mate

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 12:32:46 AM »
This has a very infectious vibe and lots going on to keep us involved in the journey. That relentless bass is awesome, and the part that comes in at 3:48 really reminded me of Kool and The Gang. I used to play some of their stuff in a funk band. Loved the horns. I could definitely dance to this track :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 07:02:21 AM »
@RealKevM - thats real kind dude, i guess it’s in my flared genes...

@crystalsuzy - thanks for listening glad you dig, i loved jazz funk and disco when i was a teenager and remember watching all those disco anfd funk bands, and thinking that’s great to dance to but a bit dull, but then I heard earth wind and fire, that album with a pyramid on the front, and everything changed, then in the 80’s i was in a record shop and ‘43’ by level 42 came on, i was completely transfixed, i bought the album.

But for pure disco-y pop i thought evelyn champagne kings Shame, took some beating, then the jacksons shake your body down to the ground....

George duke was also a cool funk guy.

I will be doing some more of this sort of thing,

Thanks again for your kind ears

Rich

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 09:17:42 PM »
@RealKevM - thats real kind dude, i guess it’s in my flared genes...

@crystalsuzy - thanks for listening glad you dig, i loved jazz funk and disco when i was a teenager and remember watching all those disco anfd funk bands, and thinking that’s great to dance to but a bit dull, but then I heard earth wind and fire, that album with a pyramid on the front, and everything changed, then in the 80’s i was in a record shop and ‘43’ by level 42 came on, i was completely transfixed, i bought the album.

But for pure disco-y pop i thought evelyn champagne kings Shame, took some beating, then the jacksons shake your body down to the ground....

George duke was also a cool funk guy.

I will be doing some more of this sort of thing,

Thanks again for your kind ears

Rich
Ha brilliant :)

tfz

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 06:56:56 AM »
Great bass and percussion give a solid foundation for some great improv. Live the uneasy feel with some sweet note selection. Great groove, nice changes, top wirk. 8)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 09:15:58 AM »
Whato @tfz - Thanks for taking a listen, I appreciate your comments, and glad you like it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'Sweet Notes', but one ot two of the notes in the brass hits can cause a bit of aural discomfort, but that was intentional, to build tension away from what could be a predictable piece.

Funny that you mention the perc. I still find the  frquencies of the perc. clashes with the treble slap bass, tried pretty hard to EQ it away, but couldn't manage it, maybe I can tame it with a transient shaper so it doesn't poke out so much, glad you liked it ;)

Anyway let me know about sweet notes.

Regards

Rich
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 09:21:33 AM by cowparsleyman »

tfz

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 09:34:58 AM »
Exactly that, aural discomfort; makes me sit up and pay attention.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 10:01:04 AM »
@tfz - Thanks for the feedback, it's comments like these that really help.

Rich

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 09:10:54 PM »
Yo CPM.

This haz groove,love the bass tone and content. In da pocket it be,Yoda say.

In my callow youth I despised Disco music,but in my old age I've come to appreciate at least some of it's merits. This is due in part to the enthusiasm of a bass playing offspring!

It's an interesting and varied track,which hides it's 5 minutes + length well and always maintains the sacred groove.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 10:19:41 AM »
I thought the introduction was a little too long. I'd have been tempted to play the mmm mmm breakdown twice, once early on and the second where it is now. I may have re-introduced the original riff for a few bars before introducing the brass. I really liked the stat finish.

Dance music isn't really my type of music so please ignore me if you disagree.

Keith