Famous Artists playing in a pub....

• 4 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: October 19, 2018, 08:52:52 AM »
Whato

Saw this some time ago, think it's pretty cool, anyone else witnessed anything like this? Someone famous doing a turn?

I remember Clapton playing a secret gig in a Village Hall near his house in Sussex.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:32:01 PM by cowparsleyman »

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 08:54:37 AM »
@Boydie - Oops I think this is in the wrong category - probably better in The Bar....

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 12:00:49 PM »
I missed a couple of these bands play after show shows in small clubs in Chicago:
The Rolling Stones.
Prince (who did a LOT of these)

But I did get to see Steve Earle playing in a small club -- I was close enough to actually be leaning on the stage. Gigs like these can be a lot of fun. The artist just doing it for the love of playing.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 12:31:04 PM »
Wow Mr Pop - Yeah you jogged my memory about Prince, but I didn't know The Stones did it too, I also remember Hendrix used to live not far from a club in London and used to sit it a lot with Mitch.

I experienced a sort of opposite of this thread, I once played in one of Rod Stewarts houses in a Jazz Trio, there were a few 'famous' names there..although I wasn't that bothered, and I can only remember one name, I just remember the pool looking a bit shabby.

Rich

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 01:11:23 PM »
I experienced a sort of opposite of this thread, I once played in one of Rod Stewarts houses in a Jazz Trio, there were a few 'famous' names there..although I wasn't that bothered, and I can only remember one name, I just remember the pool looking a bit shabby.

Rich

I yeah... I had an opposite, too.
Just a year ago or so, I played in a tea shop that was owned by Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins). He showed up after I finished playing. Or, rather magically appeared just after I had finished playing. Maybe he was there for part of the set?
He was coming in to set up for his DJ set and to spin a couple of records.
I got to talk to him a little bit and, while he wasn't exactly Mr, Friendly, he was nice enough. I thanked him for letting me play and we chatted about a couple of the places that we both used to haunt back in the day. (In particular, a little Korean diner.)
It was nice.