konalavadome

This is Me, Playing Informally for Charity

• 13 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: September 16, 2018, 03:22:04 PM »
Last night I doodled around a bit at an informal fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. One of the guys streamed about 20 minutes of it on Facebook (using my phone), so here's the link to the result: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155788775701680&id=681931679

It's very informal and I made loads of mistakes and start-overs, but it was fun and I did several of my original songs for a very complimentary audience.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 06:29:10 PM »
Hey @CaliaMoko how lovely to see you play in person! I really enjoyed that! Great interactions with the audience & the guy filming - such a warm, supportive setting! A treat!

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 08:43:39 PM »
Hey Vicki,

Fantastic stuff, out with friends in the park with what must be an infinite set-list! :) You're voice sounds great even through the phone would've loved to hear the real thing. A few I hadn't heard before.

Anyone join in the end or sore fingers? xD

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 10:16:42 PM »
@MonnoDB @ScottLevi @pompeyjazz : Thanks for all the lovely, complimentary remarks! I am reveling in the glow.

Unfortunately, it ended up being a very small group and no one else came to jam. :(  What happened was...I planned very carefully to make sure our event did not fall on a karaoke night. But the karaoke group changed their schedule on me, so we were in conflict with them and, even though ours was earlier and anyone could have made it to both, it must have been too much. And there was another activity (I forget what it was) right at the same time as ours. But there always is....

The good news is, last year we had four people. This year we had 8. Therefore, next year we should have 16.  ;D

Yeah, my fingers got a little sore but not too bad. It started raining and the pavilion has a metal roof. It rained really hard and you pretty much couldn't hear anything except the rain for awhile. It was LOUD!

Those of us who were there had a really good time. The food, which wasn't planned, was perfect--hors d'oeuvres, main dish, salad, dessert. And we collected a bit more than $100 for our designated charity (American Cancer Society).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 01:43:59 AM by CaliaMoko »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 08:42:03 AM »

Ahh Viki...what a charming video.  I was moved by it's innocence and honesty ;D

I know you are a keen learner, so I'm going to hazard a bit of advice....there's a couple of
 things I've noticed that might help speed up your progress, and stop you falling into 'bad habits'.

The first thing I noticed was your 'posture'....you're sitting all wrong ;D ;D I know you're restricted by
 where you're playing.  So I'm hoping you sit properly at home when you practice. Get a footrest, they are cheap
 and you can take them anywhere, and it will make you sit properly. Also don't forget to practice standing up as well.

You need to drop your wrist more on your left hand, and get that pinky working as soon as possible.  Try to learn and
 become familiar with barre chords.  This will help no end, and stop you having to use a capo so much.  Also try not to
 rest your arm on the body when you're strumming.  Later on in your journey the right hand becomes soooo important.
 Resting your arm like that, will hinder your attack and general control. So get into GOOD habits now.

In the end, guitar playing is about expression.  The theory being, the more technique and musical theory you understand,
 the better you'll be able to express yourself.  For me, it's all about patterns and shapes.  The more you play the more you'll
 understand the patterns, and what notes can and can't be played with certain chords.

Of course the most important thing is that you are enjoying the journey, and are having fun along the way....

Hope you don't mind me 'chipping in'.....all in the spirit of perfection ;D ;D ;D
 take care xx

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 03:20:56 PM »
@pompeyjazz : Yes, they are certainly the most relaxing. :)

@Binladeda : You know me well. I do know most of that and have been working on it. Them. Except the foot rest idea. At home I always practice standing up. I'm not sure why I ended up sitting down at the park; I seldom play that way. But I'll have to try the foot rest thing. How high should it be? What posture error do I need to correct?

I'm having trouble with my left wrist--probably arthritis, I'm guessing--and it has a tendency to hurt for a few days after playing. That, and years of playing wrong, are affecting my hand position. I have been working on dropping my wrist, though, and it is better than it used to be. I hope to have it in the proper position without thinking about it, sometime in the next 10 or 20 years.... ::)

Yeah, I don't use my pinky enough but, again, I'm working on it.

I have been practicing barre chords, and I can tell I will eventually be able to do them quickly. At the moment, I think I get too stressed worrying about hitting the right spot, when I'm performing, so I don't use them as much as I do when I'm practicing. Yet.

I haven't been practicing keeping my right hand free from the body, though. In fact, I'm not sure I knew I was doing that. So something to watch.

Thanks so much! It's really helpful to know specifically what to work on.

Vicki

Furry61

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 03:13:18 PM »
You have a nice tone to your voice, I like it :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 06:28:40 PM »
Thank you @Furry61 . That's nice to hear as I have a tendency to hear myself as bland and boring.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 07:25:04 PM »
Go Vicki! You did the business.  8)

Sack the cameraman though! Has he a fixation with torsos,or maybe a face phobia?  :D

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 07:42:41 PM »
Thanks, @Skub : I think he was trying to do too much at once. It was a challenging situation in a part. He was using a phone and trying to do other stuff at the same time. A tripod might have been useful. I thought he got a lot of faces, though, didn't he?

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 07:28:18 PM »
Go Vicki...nice to put a torso to a name!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 07:49:11 PM »
Yes, indeed. Thanks for noticing! :D