Harlequin Waiting

• 20 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: September 08, 2018, 10:31:50 AM »
Hello forumites,

A new song from me. Not a re-recording or a collaboration - just me. This song was a bit of fun really but I am pleased with how it turned out. Any feedback or comments most gratefully received. I hope you enjoy it.

M

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/harlequin-waiting#t=0:30

I 'm the harlequin waiting
At your back door
I'm the harlequin waiting
You've seen me before
Don't you remember me
And what all this is for?

Let me be your servant
I will serve you well
Let me be your servant
For the secrets I can tell
I'm the clown & the juggler
The stone, the fall and the spell

I'm the Harlequin who guides you
Through this glittering parade
A step, a turn, a softshoe
A spring-heeled charade

I've danced for kings, queens and princes
From here to the promised land
Kissed the sleeping face of freedom
Held tomorrow in my hands

They asked me for my secret
Kept 'em guessing for a while
You've got to run a rightous road
To walk a crooked mile

Used to dance for the devil
Just to make him smile
Used to dance for the devil
For a short while
But cartwheels on a Sunday
That's really not my style

Chase a harlequin shadow
behind the sun
Chase a harlequin shadow
Watch it run
Just as you think it's over
It's only just begun

© 2018 Alan Walker

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 04:28:31 PM »
@montydog

Well now,this is just excellent.  8)

Quality lyrics involve the listener in the curious and inventive song topic. 'Kissed the sleeping face of freedom',a lovely turn of phrase,just one among many.

You've really relaxed into your style and your songwriting,Alan. Your music and your voice directly states,'this is who I am'. That confidence and being comfortable in your own skin very much comes across as you perform.

Love those pedal/lap steel touches and the sax,oh man.  :)

A super,glossy production shows it all off just right.

I'd love to hear a little harmony on the vocals here and there,but that's just me,I've been told I don't know when to stop with that stuff sometimes!  :D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 06:29:21 PM »
Great country vibe Alan, and that steel guitar is lovely. You've blended this together very well imo. Vocals cut through just right. Top work  :) - Nice sax break as well  :)

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 10:33:43 AM »
This is really charming.
While listening I was trying to put names on artists it reminded me of but soon I had to give up to just enjoy the listen.

Wonderful.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 09:08:43 PM »
Such strong imagery, @montydog - and an unusual theme. So well sung and played - wow that Sax is just fab - is that you?

Fab lyrics! Love the "....cartwheels on a Sunday.." line (although I have nothing against cartwheels on a Sunday myself  ;D ;D)..

Great song!

Liam

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 08:21:11 AM »
Really like it - your voice is great - love the lyrics - have a mystery about them - a real foot tapper-
Added to my playlist on soundcloud

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 04:11:26 AM »
Hi Alan....I know I've said this before; but, you really have that Moody Blues touch in your writing and performing. Nice touch with the sax.
Great stuff!!
Cheers,
                         8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 04:55:37 AM »
Hey Alan,

You know I'm going to mention the "atchoo" and "don'tchew", right? But only because I'm a little jealous of your skill in all other aspects. Such a nice, mellow sound. Like others have mentioned, the sax is very nice. This is actually a little too country sounding for me, but I like it anyway.

Vicki
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:11:53 AM by CaliaMoko »

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 09:07:41 PM »
Another masterclass in songwriting. Love the bouncy melody juxtaposed against the mysterious and slightly eerie lyrics. The sax is awesome. Although you sing really well I do think this song would suit some backing vocals in both the verse and chorus. It’s the kind of melody/jaunt that lends itself to lots of harmonies in my opinion.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 11:15:12 PM »
Alan,
Great. Love the lyrics set to a energetic backing with some slightly woozy chord changes.
Your vocals sounding really fine.
Best production i’ve heard from you. Sax !
Thoughts: I agree about bv’s, I could hear harmonies on the chorus in my head, I’m less keen on the synth at the breakdown, too 80’s for me and a slightly abrupt ending.
But all together a real triumph
 :)  :) neil
songwriter of no repute..

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 11:44:22 AM »
Really nice piece of work in every aspect, enjoyed it all the way through. Simply delightful with an interesting narrative and assured vocal performance. Good stuff.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 04:03:44 PM »
Hello guys & Gals,

Time to say thank you to all who posted their thoughts. Much appreciated.

Really nice piece of work in every aspect, enjoyed it all the way through. Simply delightful with an interesting narrative and assured vocal performance. Good stuff.

Thanks Michael - great that you enjoyed it. It shouldn't be hard.

@montydog

Well now,this is just excellent.  8)

Quality lyrics involve the listener in the curious and inventive song topic. 'Kissed the sleeping face of freedom',a lovely turn of phrase,just one among many.

You've really relaxed into your style and your songwriting,Alan. Your music and your voice directly states,'this is who I am'. That confidence and being comfortable in your own skin very much comes across as you perform.

Love those pedal/lap steel touches and the sax,oh man.  :)

A super,glossy production shows it all off just right.

I'd love to hear a little harmony on the vocals here and there,but that's just me,I've been told I don't know when to stop with that stuff sometimes!  :D

Thanks so much Davey - I'm stoked that you liked it. Very kind words. You're right about the harmonies but I'm terrible at them :-(

Alan,
Great. Love the lyrics set to a energetic backing with some slightly woozy chord changes.
Your vocals sounding really fine.
Best production i’ve heard from you. Sax !
Thoughts: I agree about bv’s, I could hear harmonies on the chorus in my head, I’m less keen on the synth at the breakdown, too 80’s for me and a slightly abrupt ending.
But all together a real triumph
 :)  :) neil

Many thanks Neil. The comment about the production means a lot coming from you. Boydie did the mastering of my final mix so a lot of credit goes to him. You make a fair point about the harmonies.

Another masterclass in songwriting. Love the bouncy melody juxtaposed against the mysterious and slightly eerie lyrics. The sax is awesome. Although you sing really well I do think this song would suit some backing vocals in both the verse and chorus. It’s the kind of melody/jaunt that lends itself to lots of harmonies in my opinion.

Thanks Mickey - yep, point taken about the harmonies and Bvs. I wouldn't say it was a masterclass in songwriting ; more of a "How To Get Away With It For The Musically Inept"!

Hi Alan....I know I've said this before; but, you really have that Moody Blues touch in your writing and performing. Nice touch with the sax.
Great stuff!!
Cheers,
                         8)-Tom

Thanks Tom. Nobody else has mentioned The Moody Blues thing before (except you!) but I'll take the comparison.

Really like it - your voice is great - love the lyrics - have a mystery about them - a real foot tapper-
Added to my playlist on soundcloud

Katie - so pleased that you liked it. Your comments are much appreciated.

Such strong imagery, @montydog - and an unusual theme. So well sung and played - wow that Sax is just fab - is that you?

Fab lyrics! Love the "....cartwheels on a Sunday.." line (although I have nothing against cartwheels on a Sunday myself  ;D ;D)..

Great song!

Many thanks - pleased that you liked the lyrics. That is definitely not me on the Sax. If I was that good, I'd be a rich pro!

This is really charming.
While listening I was trying to put names on artists it reminded me of but soon I had to give up to just enjoy the listen.

Wonderful.

Yep, I'll take "wonderful" :-)

Great country vibe Alan, and that steel guitar is lovely. You've blended this together very well imo. Vocals cut through just right. Top work  :) - Nice sax break as well  :)

Lovely comments, pompey. Many thanks.

Once again, lovely to hear from all of you.

M

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 07:00:24 AM »

WOW....Monty ;D ;D . What a song....one of your best.
 Just love the instrumentation.  Is that a pedal or lap steel ?
 Whatever it is, it is played brilliantly, as is everything else, and that
 sax.....mannnn, you've blown me away ;D .  I'm lost for words...

Loved it, old friend...you're a star ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 03:21:34 PM »
Intriguing, verse is solid, trad country but the chorus is more 60's pop, at least to my ears. Very strong chorus, think it has even more potential then you get out of it atm. Strong vocals and good lyrics (as expected), I'd say this one is among the top 5 of your stuff (in my book at least), well done!

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 10:38:21 PM »
Well Alan this was a great listen, what a great lyric, so many great lines, but my fave is the “you’ve got to run a righteous road, to run a crooked mile!” Some really great imagery throughout. I too loved the sax, you could have easily over used it, but u kept a tight leash on it and it sounded great with everything else and lifted the track nicely.

I always like your songs man! Good stuff!  ;D