konalavadome

Cold Hands

• 13 Replies

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« on: September 07, 2018, 08:56:45 PM »
Hi there..

A simple 1+1 (well and BVs by my 13-year old daughter  :)) I finished and published a while ago.. Currently working on a new version for live perf which is guitar-led, faster, harder.. but we intend to record it too.... so all feedback on the 1+1 or on the song with the new version in mind welcome..

https://soundcloud.com/monnodb/cold-hands-cold-heart

How could you do it right in front of me
You told me I was special that you'd never leave
You took her hand so gently as you dropped mine like a stone
You promised me forever yet I'm sitting here alone

Cold hands, cold hands, cold heart
I never saw the change in you until we were already apart

What changed in me for you to see me differently
To dull the wonder in your eyes when you look at me
To silence all the compliments that came so easily
Are the promises you keep for her the ones you broke on me

The shock has faded now at last
You're a feature of my past
I wouldn't believe it
If I hadn't seen it
The person you've become is one you swore you'd never be

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 10:59:43 PM »
Yo Karen.

I caught this one on soundcloud a while back and it's power has not lessened.

It's a heartbreakingly vivid insight into a relationship breakdown. People are always changing,sometimes growing together and sometimes growing apart. Love the twist on the old saying,'cold hands,warm heart'. Of such things songs are born.

Daughter sounds great,it's cool to have family involved,I had that with one of my sons before he emigrated. There is a family closeness that comes with sharing music,which I miss. My wife has never even heard my music!  :D

This is a song which will work in many formats and that's because it's a great song. When the foundation is solid,anything can be built. I look forward to hearing the new version.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 06:34:06 PM »
This is absolutely lovely Karen, and so sad. I'm glad you've kept it simple, it's really effective that way and adds to the emotional impact. Great work

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 02:36:45 AM »
Beautiful and haunting. I love the melody and the simplicity of the song and your lovely voice!

Great, great track!

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 04:29:29 AM »
I like this....this could be tune along side my, "His Eyes"....both are loves lost, and both have that certain dramatic feel. I love it!!
                                             -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 08:52:08 PM »
Certainly grows on you as you listen - nicely done - didn't like the gaps where it suddenly appeared to stop - but thats a minor point as I think the song has a good all round appeal.....Had the feel of a Cindi Lauper album track about it.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 08:59:31 PM »
I really like this. Your clearly a talented singer and pianist and this really comes through. Like Morefrog mentions the song grows. It’s delicately catchy. It’s also very atmospheric, in the way Nick Cave often is. Production and mix are pretty much spot on.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 11:15:39 PM »
Hey thanks all for listening and taking the time to comment!

@Skub yes it's lovely to play with family.. My other half plays bass so on my home/solo stuff, he provides the basslines which is also lovely.. Thankfully the heart broken here is not mine  :)

@pompeyjazz thank you kindly.... more complex mixes wreck my little head so I do lean towards simple when I can.

@Mutrins thank you very much .. appreciated!

@IronKnee - Thanks so much and yes I agree - as posted, the emotional impact of your song hit me.. loved it!

@Morefrog Jones thanks for that... I am a little prone to gaps on 1+1s (oh and a fan of stops on band mixes too!)

@mickyplankton thanks for the lovely comments.. Nick Cave? I'm a huge fan so I'll take any ref however distant..

Thanks again!

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 01:21:03 PM »
Very emotive and powerful in it's simplicity. Lovely when the background vocals come in. Beautiful song.

Lynn

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 01:06:08 PM »
Still like this a few weeks after first hearing it on SC. I am just surprised your daughter isn't now the lead singer, ha ha! You know you can't keep the young 'uns down once they get a bit of encouragement.  ;)

Anyway, I love this dramatic musical poem - and that mid-break bit in particular is very effective at sealing the deal of what has gone before, and sets up the finale well with its more consistent harmonies and sustained notes.

Very good from the Dublin team!  ;D
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 07:16:37 PM »
Good title,
Neat tune and like the lyrics.
My only thoughts are around around the vocal delivery. On the chorus 'cold hands'  'cold' is easily heard whereas 'hands' or indeed 'heart' is a lot quieter. Also the low vocals at the end a too quiet So either suggest your neice either sings more evenly in terms of volume, you rider the magic fader or perhaps change key. She's a nice voice.
Anyway good luck with it
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 07:57:20 PM »
I'm so glad I took the time to listen to this. I'm not wild about "love lost" themes, but they're like the most prevalent in the world, it seems, so I have to hear a few. This one is so good. I do agree with Neil about maybe evening out the vocal dynamics a little. It's all pretty easy to hear with head phones, but I would miss some of those lower (and quieter) words otherwise.

This is such a lovely melody and the piano is wonderful. Beautiful piece of music!

Vicki

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 08:16:27 PM »
@redrhodie Lynn thank you for the listen and the lovely comments..

@MichaelA - yeah she's got her own band  ;D 8) I'm never gonna be cool enough... thanks for the comments and hello from Dublin :) !

@Neil C - I'll have a look at those vocal levels.. The Hands / Heart is low alright so I'll see what I can do... thanks a mill.

@CaliaMoko - thanks so much Vicki for your lovely comments... noted re the vocal automation...

Thanks all..

K

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 04:11:47 PM »
Hmmm......a very classy piece of songwriting combined with a biting delivery - perfectly judged. Reminded me weirdly of Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane/Starship). Love the simple piano arrangement. Beautifully done.

M