Loving Vincent and songwriting

• 7 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: August 28, 2018, 09:57:20 PM »
Yesterday, I watched the animated film "loving Vincent".  It was extraordinary!  I have always loved his artwork and his tragic life story makes this artist even more interesting.  iI would highly recommend watching this film. 

When I was a boy, I loved the Don McLean song Vincent (Starry, starry night).  As a young man, I wrote a song called "King Of pain". "All roads boast a journey to the grave.  Few men leave their mark.  Vincent, in one thousand years from now, your life will remain, The King of Pain"

I'd be interested to hear people's opinions about  art and painful experiences.  Especially, relating to music.  Does hardship, help us to communicate deeper, more powerful  music?  I don't think that I would write at all had life been plain sailing.  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Paul

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 10:36:11 PM »
For me, writing provides catharsis and most definitely is inspired by pain. It's pretty much always been my opinion that great art of any kind is a response to pain. I think that's why people who write are unable to stop writing. Same with any other art.

On the other hand, when I think it through, it seems like it should be possible for extremely positive experiences or feelings to inspire art, as well. It would be interesting to see results of a study on this topic. If I can remember long enough, I might do a search to see what's been done, if anything.

Vicki

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 10:39:35 PM »
I'm literally reading van Gogh's diary right now. I'm gaining huge insight into the man's brilliance from it. It's actually not a diary, but a collection of his letters illustrated with the paintings and drawings that those letters refer to. I think I understand better what he was dealing with, and how he saw the world. He was a really beautiful person, which I didn't expect. I'm also trying to be a painter, and it brings both serenity and despair, so I think I understand what you're asking. 

I don't think it's necessary to suffer to make great art or music, but in the case of van Gogh, I do think his mental condition changed the way her perceived color, light and darkness. I don't think he could have seen the world the way he did if he had been healthy. Of course, this is just my own theory, based on personal experience with mild depression, and not based on fact.

I can't really say if I'd be as creative if I hadn't suffered some trauma in my life. I think maybe I would be, but the outcome would possibly be happier. I put a lot of myself in my art.

I find creating let's me focus and the stream of negative thoughts that is sometimes relentless quiets. I usually feel euphoric when I finish something, then the thoughts start telling me it's actually not good. My solution is to try to maintain a certain level of creativity, and to practice meditation when I need them to shut up. Haha.

I have been reading some of your posts as well, and just want to say I really wish you all the best. I know you're going through a tough time. It will change. It always does. Try to remember that, and maybe try meditation. It does help.

Lynn

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 03:56:02 PM »
I don't know much about painting, but I did a bit a long time ago, took the same approach that I took with music, learn from others, by learning covers, so I wanted to paint like Picasso, Cezanne and Di Chirco,  so I tried doing their stuff, but Vincent was the toughest, I remember doing 'Starry Night' and had to call it a day, as it was impossible to unravel, just a genius, as is JS Bach.

I have a friend who lost their eldest son named Vincent (12yrs old) in a Car crash, he died in his Mums' arms at the side of the road, the Don McClean song 'Vincent' stayed with me all those years, 'I could have told you Vincent, this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you'....

RIP Vincents

cpm

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 07:54:57 PM »
Hey Paul,hope you are well man.  :)

For me and possibly lots of others,I link music with key events in my life. Nostalgia is a common thing with folk. I attempted to deal with the topic in one of my songs currently in 'finished'.

Empathy allows us to identify with music written about pain and trauma. We can put ourselves in the same position,even if we've not experienced the same pain in the same ways. Songs in this vein tend to be popular,as a result.

The genre of Blues revels in tragedy and disaster,yet the old boys themselves will tell you,the Blues is a release from misery,not a documentary of woes.

For composers,music is largely cathartic and since we never need release or healing from the good times,sad songs may well be too the fore! Plenty of writers have enjoyed great financial gain from their misery,it's called playing the hand that's dealt ye!  :D

I've always loved DmcC's Vincent,it's timeless.

Liam

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 09:30:36 AM »
Hi great post I’m very much into art - I do agree from my own personal point of view that pain has caused me to be creative - it’s the thing that has driven me to self publish 7 books in two years - it gives me a power , a desire, a need to express who I am
I have a t shirt which I designed and it has a cezanne quote something along the lines of “ Art that does not begin with emotion is not art “
And for me it’s the same - all my lyrics come from my soul - funnily enough Van Gogh and art was kind of the start of the journey of finding my true self after years of looking for something to satisfy me both mentally and emotionally I ended up at art and Van Gogh cezanne etc started painting and eventually ended up cross dressing and becoming Katie

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 09:14:46 AM »
Hi Vicki,

I couldn't agree with you more re positive experiences inspiring art. I see that in Vincent's paintings and also hear it in music that communicates joy and love.
Writing is in my opinion, a very cathartic exercise. It has helped so many people through difficult times.

Lynn, I'm going to google the Van Goch book that you mention. I've read several books about him and his artwork. That one has been on my list of books to buy for a little while.  I believe that many people who create art must do so.  As Vicki mentioned, it is cathartic. I believe it has the potential to heal or at least help people To cope with the most  distressing events in their life. It's not necessary to suffer to create beautiful art and I think Vicki hit the nail on the head when she's said that joyous experiences should be influential in the process of creating art. My early life was filled wit trauma and sadness. It was the reason why I wrote. After a while, I felt that the writing process defined who I was. I then experienced many years of beautiful peace and harmony in my life but I still wrote about my deepest and saddest experiences. After many years, I then started to embrace the happy events in my life and they shone through in my writing. My current predicament/unrest in my life will come to an end and I will continue to explore happier and more playful themes in my writing.

I've been a fan of meditation for many years and have enjoyed the many benefits that it has to offer. I too would recommend meditation.

CPM, yeah, I get that approach. Even though we may not study great songwriters, I believe that subconsciously, we learn many of the rules associated with song structure, melody and lyric writing as we absorb so much music in our lifetimes.  It's really interesting that you have tried to paint in the style of other established painters. I can say that I have learned from my favourite writers but have never tried to copy or learn from prominent artists. Perhaps that's because I have been far more diligent about discovering and learning about  music which has always been my first love. 

Skub, that's a great point about the blues being a release from misery. I tend to think of my music as a release from difficult events in my own life.  Life can often be hard and I hate many of the ugly events that happen in the world, both on a personal and global level.  I write to create something that is beautiful. Music might be loaded with sadness but beauty lives within that sadness - don't you think? For me, Don McLean was the finest songwriter of his generation!

Hi Katie,  it's wonderful that great artists and writers have opened the doors and windows into their lives, allowing  us to take a glimpse into their world.   It is equally wonderful that they have demonstrated ways that we all might express ourselves creatively.  I couldn't imagine a world without music and art.

Paul

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 06:53:16 AM »
I don't agree that "all inspiration comes from pain."   MOST inspiration comes from emotion, but I wouldn't even say "all" in that context. 

I also think it's a mistake to deify long dead perveyors of the arts.  They're already famous, and nothing we can add will influence that.  And, (as Pablo Casals - I think it was Casals - pointed out, it's "either easy, or impossible")  to paint (or write, or otherwise create) a masterpiece.  Genius finds a way to express itself.  It does not need worship, admiration, or attention to do so.  It MUST express itself. 

It is my opinion that Van Gogh's "muse" was more likely to be this "need to express genius" than any pain, or emotion from his sad life. 

If a sad life was the inspiration, there would have never been any happy artists.  And there were.

Just my two cents (or pence) worth.     

www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.