konalavadome

The Lizards of Silicon Valley (Short Song Competition entry)

• 17 Replies

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« on: August 24, 2018, 11:57:08 PM »
Hi All,

Heres my latest song inspired by the Short song competition.

update 9th Oct:

Following feedback the latest definitive is here:

https://soundcloud.com/mickyplankton/the-lizards-of-silicon-1

Original Post:

Here is my short song competition entry (with the 11 second outro removed)  - clocking in at exactly 1 minute!

https://soundcloud.com/mickyplankton/the-lizards-of-silicon-valley

Lyrics:
Basking in the eternal sun, we don’t answer to anyone.
We are the lizards of Silicon Valley, and were gonna rule the world.

Some of us are yellow, some of us are green, some of us our white and some of us are blue
Chameleons of Silicon Valley,  from where in the universe are you?

Theres forks in our tongues and forks in the road, where the story of humanity unfolds.
We are the lizards of Silicon Valley,  skin is smooth our blood is cold.

We saw An old man a long time ago, crying for the fate of the world
The Humans are now all long gone. Far too hot for them we heard.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 06:13:53 PM by mickyplankton »

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 12:22:20 AM »
Haha, I thought that was a really long intro for a one minute song with all those lyrics.  ;D Didn't notice it was the instrumental version.

Looking forward to hearing the singing. It sounds cool so far.

Lynn

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 12:28:48 AM »
Hi Lynn, that’s odd. The link should be to the vocals version. Vocals come in at 11 seconds.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 12:47:14 AM »
It took me to the instrumental version, but I think it's an issue on my end. I've been having some issues going to SoundCloud links on this forum. It's not you, it's me.  ;)

No matter, I found it! Perfect punk song in every way. Vocals and music sound great. Lyrics are excellent, and make me angry (in a good way). It's also the antithesis of Katie's entry, and it was really fun to experience them back to back. It's going to be a great contest to listen to.

Lynn

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 01:16:49 PM »
Yo Micky.

Cool punk/New Wave sound and interesting lyrics. Works just fine overall for me,though I'd like a bit more aggression/venom in the vocal delivery,unless you were going for the 'world weary,DGAS' kind of vibe. In which case I'll STFU.  :D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 05:28:39 PM »
Great Punk / New wave vibe @mickyplankton

The lyrics reminded me of something The Clash may have written so top marks on that  :)

Great competition entry

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 06:23:49 PM »
Lovely little New Wave minute, catchy guitar counter melody and, as mentioned by Pompey, an anthemic tune The Clash would have been proud of. An early contender shows its head!  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 02:01:42 AM »
Nice one Micky - great entry for the competition.
I like how you kept it simple and focus on those verse lyrics and melody.
It's compact and sounds great to boot  ;D

Paul

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 05:05:34 PM »
Boom Mickey,

1 Min of Punk.

I just missed the punk era as I was too young.

Nice work dude.

tboswell

• Platinum Album

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 01:53:02 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback much appreciated. Wheres the competition though! Im the only entrant so far!

It took me to the instrumental version, but I think it's an issue on my end. I've been having some issues going to SoundCloud links on this forum. It's not you, it's me.  ;)

No matter, I found it! Perfect punk song in every way. Vocals and music sound great. Lyrics are excellent, and make me angry (in a good way). It's also the antithesis of Katie's entry, and it was really fun to experience them back to back. It's going to be a great contest to listen to.

Lynn

Wow thanks Lynne!

Yo Micky.

Cool punk/New Wave sound and interesting lyrics. Works just fine overall for me,though I'd like a bit more aggression/venom in the vocal delivery,unless you were going for the 'world weary,DGAS' kind of vibe. In which case I'll STFU.  :D

Hi Skub, fully take your point about vocal delivery. I recorded it at midnight  and i was keen not to wake up the neighbours which is why its softer than usual!

Lovely little New Wave minute, catchy guitar counter melody and, as mentioned by Pompey, an anthemic tune The Clash would have been proud of. An early contender shows its head!  ;)

Thanks Michael!

Great Punk / New wave vibe @mickyplankton

The lyrics reminded me of something The Clash may have written so top marks on that  :)

Great competition entry

Thanks John. The Clash (as always) are a big influence on this one.

Nice little blast, gets a lot of story over very quickly.
Good economical songwriting!
Boom Mickey,

1 Min of Punk.

I just missed the punk era as I was too young.

Nice work dude.

Thanks Guys, really enjoyed creating this one.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 04:39:17 PM »
The Clash meet The Ramones meet The Skids for a very short jam and lo it was good and many worshipped at it's feet.(Inches)?

1 minute is a very strict mistress.

M

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 05:49:08 PM »
The Clash meet The Ramones meet The Skids for a very short jam and lo it was good and many worshipped at it's feet.(Inches)?

1 minute is a very strict mistress.

M
@montydog

Im very glad to see you are coming round to being a punk rock believer Monty Dog! You have been a tough critic over the time on this site (and i have appreciated your honesty)  and a tough nut to crack but im glad we got there in the end! I have to say, im very proud of this song and very grateful to the organisers for inspiring it. Thanks @Paulski and @pompeyjazz 

1 minute seems daunting but i can also really inspire a creative approach. I dont think the song would be any better if it was longer.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 05:51:07 PM by mickyplankton »

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 08:34:40 AM »
Hi Mickey

I heard the Clash from the word go, and I love the vibe, and the lyrics. The song rumbles along in a very infectious way. I just felt the vocal delivery was a bit polite and self-conscious, if that makes any sense. Like I was expecting you to BELT those words out!

Very well done all the same.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 06:50:24 PM »
good old vibe of the era....yeah maybe the vocal could have more oomph but we do what we can, right?

I haven't listened to the version with the outro....but if you chop the intro of this (good to see you got an intro in anyway!) in half you could have half an outro and not have such an abrupt ending...just a thought.

Good wall of sound guitar part....driving but pretty ....like the way it follows the melody.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer