STOP!! don't buy those expensive sound absoption panels..

• 16 Replies

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« on: August 18, 2018, 03:47:43 PM »
Hi, been doing some research before building a new soundbooth in the house when we move to England and came across this amazing piece of info...turns out towels..yeah, towels do a better job at sound absorption than yer actual so called proper and expensive stuff..watch the vid, nice guy and he does some good tests....

[ Invalid YouTube link ]diy+perks+sound+panels

cheers,
Kevin :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 04:01:26 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 04:04:16 PM »
for some reason I'm unable to post the youtube link...so go to DIY perks sound panels..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 04:07:48 PM »
It's a duvet for me Kev  ;D

I couldn't handle being under a duvet for more than 5 seconds John...your obviously made of sterner stuff mate..it's an air conditioned booth for me..when I get it built again that is... 8) 8) ;D

actually after saying that I may not need air con in the UK because it don't get so hot do it..gets to 35 degree's here for weeks..

best to you John...

Kevin :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 04:09:54 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 06:54:18 PM »
Hi Kev.

Pahahah Air Con.......I think not, a good quality heater would be a better investment. Summer is a 1 week affair usually apart from this year when it was unbearable working in my loft conversion.

Good luck with the move and studio build
Andy

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 10:46:04 PM »
All you flash gits with yer duvets and such,I have an SM58 on a little stand,sitting on a chair in my front room.  :(

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 07:08:49 AM »
Hi Kev.

Pahahah Air Con.......I think not, a good quality heater would be a better investment. Summer is a 1 week affair usually apart from this year when it was unbearable working in my loft conversion.

Good luck with the move and studio build
Andy

Hey Andy...never thought of that! been out of it so long forgot about the wonderful English summer, thanks for the heads up mate!! 8) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 07:13:56 AM »
All you flash gits with yer duvets and such,I have an SM58 on a little stand,sitting on a chair in my front room.  :(

you mean you've got a microphone!!! :o :o :o I'd give my left leg for a microphone!! I use an elastic band stretched across two matchsticks...oh to have a microphone.. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 09:50:43 PM »
I'd value your opinion Kev,do safety matches offer a different tone from the good old cheap red toppers? The colour of the elastic bands would be a concern too. :P

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 07:51:23 AM »
I'd value your opinion Kev,do safety matches offer a different tone from the good old cheap red toppers? The colour of the elastic bands would be a concern too. :P

In my experience Davy, safety matches offer a vintage sound, the other cheap red topped things are for EDM and suchlike, the thickness of the band is extremely important if you want to avoid a boxy vocal...too thick and it resonates in the 200Hz area, too thin and you've got problems in the midrange area, although the amount of stretch comes into play and depending on the room it can get quite complicated,
then there is a significant problem if you have a snap in the middle of a session...matchsticks have to be re calibrated and it can take a while to sort out a suitable elastic band so's the sound is similar...and you gotta wait until the singers lips recover!!
then there is the bend factor of the matchsticks which can only be done with laser equipment, a whole other story. 8) I don't do this bit because it's too expensive ;D ;D
all this is a lot of trouble but cheap! cheap! cheap!!! your much better off if you are rich and have a microphone.... 8) 8)
I'm using a vintage elastic band from the sixties, ( with 4 knots in it which seems to add to the vintage vibe) I got lucky and found it in the attic...must be worth..oh, at least 20P 8) 8)

anyway..busy saving saving up for a Mic....
cheers, hope the explanation wasn't too technical for you mate..
best, Kevin.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 07:55:58 AM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 03:10:22 PM »
You guys kill me! Send me the link when you start a crowd funding effort to finance your microphone upgrade.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 03:23:33 PM »
And to think,most people use matches merely to light fires,all the while ignorant of the many other great musical uses.  :(

I'm sticking my mic on ebay and going back to matches and rubber bands.

A whole new world just opened up.

Watch this space.  8)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 10:00:15 AM »
And to think,most people use matches merely to light fires,all the while ignorant of the many other great musical uses.  :(

I'm sticking my mic on ebay and going back to matches and rubber bands.

A whole new world just opened up.

Watch this space.  8)

the word on the street is Swan Vesta...but keep it to yourself... 8) 8) ;D ;D
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 06:51:34 PM »
It's a duvet for me Kev  ;D
My wife says I make beautiful music under the duvet! :D