Green Summer Dress Revisited

• 11 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: August 17, 2018, 03:24:43 PM »
Hi Folks,

Here is a re-written, re-arranged and re-recorded version of one of the first songs I ever posted on here six years ago. I was never happy with the original chorus so I've completely re-written the lyrics and melody. The original featured just a simple strummed acoustic guitar so I've come up with something a little more sophisticated and added a solo played on my lap steel. I hope you like it and that you will post your thoughts. Thank you to Boydie who mastered my final mix beautifully.

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/green-summer-dress

There's blue sky above me and soft southern rain
Storm clouds are clearing I'm smiling again
What is the reason for this new happiness
I've married the girl in the green summer dress

White sheets of morning and a step on the stair
I open my eyes and she's standing there
There's no one in this world I need to impress
'Cause I married the girl in the green summer dress

I can see her
Running down the roads of my memory
Blowing through the years
That she gave to me
Wearing that dress
So gracefully

I saw her out walking on the first day of spring
Picked her a flower she didn't say anything
I made up my mind then and I think you can guess
To marry that girl in the green summer dress

There's a glow of promise before the sunrise
There's a lifetime of wisdom in an old man's eyes
If there's meaning to this it's in the caress
Of the girl I married in the green summer dress

I can see her
Running down the roads of my memory
Blowing through the years
That she gave to me
Wearing that dress
So gracefully

Are we here for a purpose, it's too soon to tell
Has it all been for nothing a final farewell
I'll keep just one day; they can take all the rest
The day I married the girl in the green summer dress
The day I married the girl in the green summer dress

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 10:53:18 AM »
This is lovely @montydog - a beautiful and gentle ballad with a sweet story - lyrics grabbed me and kept me engaged! Chorus was my favourite part of the song - I think I’d be tempted to end it on that repeated but that’s just me I’m sure as the repeated ‘green dress’ line does round it off nicely.

Very enjoyable - I really like your voice!

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 02:57:36 PM »
Hi Monty,

This a really nice song, as usual super tight playing and production, Makes its sound pro.

I was waiting for the drums and band to kick in towards the end, but if that aint your thing, then thats cool.

I really liked it, Nice work.

Cheers
Andy

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 06:43:05 PM »
Hi Alan, I loved the simplicity of this and I mean that in a very good way. The melody is strong and slightly traditional. There's some cracking instrumentation and your voice is sounding really good as usual. Interesting to revisit something you originally did a while back as well. Excellent stuff

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 09:08:11 PM »
@montydog

Yo Alan.

That's some dress man,little wonder ya married her.  ;)

The song has a familiar vibe,it's one of those the listener imagines they've heard before,yet it's new. It's a lovely,comfortable and warm feeling,a contented vibe.

A polished and accomplished piece and a delight for the ears.   8)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 12:24:00 PM »
Well @montydog, don't you think after six years you should have bought her a new dress? Blue is in this year, I think!  ;)

This is a lovely song, however, in that the sentiment is so sincere and I like the whole relationship story hanging on one memory, which is very literal and tangible - and so easy therefore to picture.

The melody, arrangement and performance are all very 'professional', but it is the expert storytelling that is the star of this song! Nice one!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Tor Løvstad

• Busker
  • "When the morning sun has come"
    • Tune Academia
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 08:32:32 PM »
Hi Monty,

Love this song!
Very folky and true to its origin.

All the best,
Tor Løvstad
Strive to be a better songwriter every day.
Be grateful for who you are.
Remember that is what gives you an egde.

Learn how to write songs at Tune Academia:
http://www.tuneacademia.com

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 06:31:22 AM »
Great piece of music, Monty......for me, this has a Moody Blues quality about it.
VERY well written and performed. Love the recording....and your vocal is perfect!
Absolutely one of your best!!
                                                            8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 03:16:40 PM »
No nits from me. I really like the style of the song, the way it builds, and...well, the whole thing. I can't think of anything to add to all the compliments you've gotten so far, so just read them all again and imagine me saying "ditto" after each one.  ;D

Vicki

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 03:36:54 PM »
Hi Folks,

Thanks to all who commented - much appreciated. I think the re-visit was worth it.

No nits from me. I really like the style of the song, the way it builds, and...well, the whole thing. I can't think of anything to add to all the compliments you've gotten so far, so just read them all again and imagine me saying "ditto" after each one.  ;D

Vicki

Thanks Vicki - your opinion means a lot. I'm really pleased that you liked it. You are one of my target listeners - if you like it, I know it must have something.

Great piece of music, Monty......for me, this has a Moody Blues quality about it.
VERY well written and performed. Love the recording....and your vocal is perfect!
Absolutely one of your best!!
                                                            8)-Tom

Thank you, Tom. That means a lot. You know I'm a big fan.

Well @montydog, don't you think after six years you should have bought her a new dress? Blue is in this year, I think!  ;)

This is a lovely song, however, in that the sentiment is so sincere and I like the whole relationship story hanging on one memory, which is very literal and tangible - and so easy therefore to picture.

The melody, arrangement and performance are all very 'professional', but it is the expert storytelling that is the star of this song! Nice one!

Lovely comments - ta muchly

@montydog

Yo Alan.

That's some dress man,little wonder ya married her.  ;)

The song has a familiar vibe,it's one of those the listener imagines they've heard before,yet it's new. It's a lovely,comfortable and warm feeling,a contented vibe.

A polished and accomplished piece and a delight for the ears.   8)

Thanks, Davy. Very kind words indeed.

Hi Alan, I loved the simplicity of this and I mean that in a very good way. The melody is strong and slightly traditional. There's some cracking instrumentation and your voice is sounding really good as usual. Interesting to revisit something you originally did a while back as well. Excellent stuff

Pompey, simplicity is my natural way. I'm not talented enough to be complicated!

Hi Monty,

This a really nice song, as usual super tight playing and production, Makes its sound pro.

I was waiting for the drums and band to kick in towards the end, but if that aint your thing, then thats cool.

I really liked it, Nice work.

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy. Thanks for the kind words. I don't always use drums. I don't think that this song needed them.

This is lovely @montydog - a beautiful and gentle ballad with a sweet story - lyrics grabbed me and kept me engaged! Chorus was my favourite part of the song - I think I’d be tempted to end it on that repeated but that’s just me I’m sure as the repeated ‘green dress’ line does round it off nicely.

Very enjoyable - I really like your voice!

Hi,
Yes repeating and ending on the chorus would have worked but I wanted to keep it short and sweet. Thanks for your kind words.

Take care, people.

M

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 06:43:33 PM »
Pretty song. Very romantic and full of love. Beautifully sung and played.

lillypilly

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 12:58:20 AM »
mmm nice quiet folky vibe going on here, it struts along nicely and sounds very polished to my ears

cheers

Lilly