I Was There (Music and Melodies)

• 12 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: August 12, 2018, 05:55:44 PM »
I Was There

https://soundcloud.com/the-vanity-rules

This song has been on quite a journey.  It was originally written as a musical track for nooms.  At some point, we decided to abandon the project.  There it was, sitting on my hard drive asking to be developed into a song.  Soon after the death of George Michael,  I developed the opening lyric “I was there when Michael sang’ the mood of the music was certainly influenced by the news of his passing.  Anyway, I was there over thirty years ago when my best friend bought me a ticket to see Wham at Whitley Bay Ice Rink.  I didn’t really like Wham but I didn’t want to say.  I’m so pleased that I attended the concert.  The band were amazing and George Michael sang with such precision and power.  I don’t believe that I have heard a better pop singer live to this day.

This song might continue on it’s journey and I might update this thread.  I’ve resent this version to nooms and maybe, he might add something to it’s development.  I’ve taken it as far as I can for now.  Perhaps I could chop it up and rearrange the structure but essentially, everything that I wanted to say is here.  I was there to see George Michael in concert. He sang about Doris Day in “Wake me up before you go go”.  His music was retro yet new. Fast forward in my time machine to Christmas Night 2016, I then found myself walking along the Promenade in Hartlepool on a sombre night after hearing about his passing.  The lights on the Christmas tree seemed to “illuminate the past”, inviting me to think about The December concert that I attended and the hit single “Last Christmas”.  I later got down to the business of writing the song and remembered a Wham video in which they performed at the iconic music venue The Marquee.  It was “never meant to last”.  The song quickly took care of itself based on the emotion that I was feeling about this sad event.

I’m going through a period of finishing musical ideas that were written as musical tracks. Maybe one day I’ll return to writing newer material from scratch and concentrating on song structures but for now, I guess this song had to be written and now off it goes on it’s own little journey. I hope you enjoy “I Was There.” 

I Was There (Music and Melodies)

I was there when Michael sang “Wake me up" baby.  "Doris Day" cannot compare.
I was still a boy that year, his voice reached out so true.
I was there, when the young girls swooned; his music, exciting, deliberately retro yet new.
Christmas lights caught in the breeze illuminate the past
Where Go Go bars like passing cars were never meant to last.

Thank you for the memory, the music and melodies remain

The orchestra will play tonight, the violins will cry.
The harps will sing a song of love to gently say goodbye.

Thank you for the memory, the music and melodies remain.

Christmas lights caught in the breeze illuminate the past
Where Go Go bars like passing cars were never meant to last.

Thank you for the memory, the music and melodies remain

Written by Paul Vasey  August 2018

https://soundcloud.com/the-vanity-rules
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:50:33 PM by Wicked Deeds »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 11:19:32 PM »
I really like the piano....

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 09:59:51 AM »
I really like the chorus, where "memories and melodies" is placed over slightly atonal chords, which resolve on the word "remain".

It's almost as if you are saying that there was stress and strain in the making of the music at the time, but what remains for us the listen to is clear and beautiful.
I find this prosody (or is it the opposite of prosody?) very compelling and think it gives the song a extra depth.
I don't know if it is intentional but it makes the song for me.

Really cool!

redrhodie

• Platinum Album

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 08:43:36 PM »
Thank you for listening. I had to put it out there. Not sure why the link hasn't worked. My apologies.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 09:00:26 PM by Wicked Deeds »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 09:28:23 PM »
Phew ! The song is there Paul although a lot of silence at the beginning so maybe that's the issue. What a huge talent GM was. Music and melodies sum it up perfectly. I always love your melancholy treatment and you've got some killer chords thrown in there. As always Paul, top quality  :)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 09:51:51 AM »
Hi Paul,

I agree with you about GM - a brilliantly talented singer/songwriter. I thought this song was beautifully realised - a totally pro sounding recording. Vocals are top notch and the relationship between the melody and the chords was, as someone else has said, the key (sorry!) to this song. A lovely thing indeed.

M

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 08:33:52 PM »
Hey Paul,hope all is good with ya man.  :)

It's a delicate flower,this song,rewarding many listens as it slowly sinks it's hooks into the affections.

I love the interesting instrumental backdrop you create. It's laden with nostalgia and whimsical observations.

I must admit GM was never of interest to me,though I warmed slightly when I was forced to play a couple of his songs,it gave me a new appreciation.

I'd be interested to see what nooms does with the track,as it works for me as it is.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 02:17:50 PM »
very good song!

I was never of fan of GM
I did really like a good amount of his songs.

"A different corner" and "careless whisper"
Really used to send me back in my chilhood.

It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 09:46:28 AM »
I didn't think anyone would get this song. I guess the emotion cames from realising that an icnonic singer songwriter has gone just as a constant in my and many other peoples lives has gone. It reminds us all of our mortality; that we are here Here only briefly and then are no more. How important it is that we do our best to leave good memories and try not to hurt each other. Sadly, that is easier said than done.

Paul

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 10:30:14 PM »
I like your back story to this. I think GM was an underrated songwriter and agree on your assessment of his unsurpassed pop vocal. He was never 'cool' for the indie crowd or heavy rockers and came from a time when you were loved or hated according to which musical genre you belonged. Thankfully these days, maybe because of the ease of streaming, kids seem to have broader tastes, or are at least more accepting of genres they don't normally listen to.

To me your song is a whimsical slice of nostalgia with some delicate touches and a true heart. I think it is a fitting personal tribute to GM, a delicate poem set to music and one I am sure you will be happy to play again down the years. Nicely captured, say I!  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 08:39:37 AM »
Hi Paul

Nice story, George was one of the best vocalist's I've ever heard, right up there with the best, his precision and phrasing just fantastic, his version of 'Somebody to Love' at the Freddie Mercury tribute gig, left me tingling. If you looked at his album credits he was everywhere, bass, guitars production, arrangement etc. etc. just like Prince, Stevie Wonder, Jay Graydon (Who??? check him out, if you liked the solo in Steely Dan's 'Peg' or the one in Manhattan's ' Twilight Tone' of anything by 5 Star, it was him) et. al.

I preferred his funky songs, like 'Outside', or 'Too Funky', his later ballads seemed to be adrift somewhat. Anyway.....

Took a listen and there's a couple of things that could work for it, as a tribute to GM and his style... maybe drown it in Verb on the Master buss a'la GM's ballads, I would try leaving out the drums just to see if it made it more of a ballad, see if it works.

Like Vicki said the piano is nice, I also liked the electric guitar.

The LVox is a bit exposed in places.

btw...Your mission to finish old songs is close to my heart, it must be great to get a completion on them, it's a bit like tidying out your music loft...

Nice work, and hope this helps

cpm

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 06:16:06 PM »
Hi Paul, This song rewards repeated listens. Reminds me of Blue Nile - a band that is very underated. Theres a classic 80s indie melancholy about it. Very good production too. This sits well alongside your other work. Cheers Micky