Love's The Place

• 20 Replies

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« on: August 11, 2018, 07:15:32 PM »
Hi all,

Last thing I posted for the drum competition got accused of being disco by Boydie.
Well if you are accused, you may as well do the deed.

Let me know if you enjoy!

Tom.

LOVE'S THE PLACE
(T J Boswell)

Out of the dark
There’s a path I’ve found
Out of the dark
To the light & sound
Into something new
Into something new

They locked me away
Long Before I ever flew
They locked me away
Turned me inside out
Into something new
I am something new

(chorus)
I feel the rush
And it’s so strong
God knows that loves the place
That I belong

I feel the rush
Yeah and somehow
I’m going now

Never give up
There’s a new dawn
Never give up
On the dream to fly
Get reborn

I feel the rush
And it’s so strong
That I belong

(verse)
I’m bursting out
You’re gonna feel my power
I’m bursting out
Every passing hour
Shows me something new
Show me something new

If beat my wings
Nothing can hold me down
If I beat my wings
Yeah I could change this world
into something new
I am something new

(choruses)

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 07:38:00 PM »
Hey Tom,

U don’t have a bad song in ya mate! I did enjoy this a lot! The hooks great! For me though the quiet parts (especially the second verse) were too quiet...hmm...just so u know, I’m listening on Apple pods. I know you want the chorus to be like BLAM...grab your flares and DANCE MO FO’S!!! but I just thought I’d let you know, what I heard/felt.

Great stuff as always mate! ;D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 10:26:04 PM »
Agree with Leo. All your songs are top notch Tom. I loved the disco vibe.The funky guitar is wonderful. There's some great light and shade and the BV's are sensational. Top quality stuff man

AnitaFox

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 03:21:53 PM »
Ah this is a great tune! I just know it's going to be stuck in my head too! 🎵God knows🎵

Actually made me think of George Michael! 

Congrats on a brilliant song.

Cheers

A

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 05:18:40 PM »
Oh yeah, I like it. I haven't gotten tired of disco yet. It's current for me. I'm an anachronism. I have no nits. I wanna dance. Yeah, yeah. :D

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 05:59:22 PM »
Love’s The Place

It’s a very accomplished write.  Much more modern than I could ever attempt to write.  Production is crystal clear.  My favourite parts are the guitar but there’s a good rhythm throughout, ideal for this genre.

Paul

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 09:47:30 PM »
Yo Tom.

It's always been a pleasure to hear a new song from you and for me this is no exception to the rule.

Great song,great arrangement,great voice,great production. I wasn't looking to critique anyway,just lying back and enjoying this quality track. I'd expect no less.  8)

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 12:56:11 PM »
Disco is king!!

quite uplifting. very well crafted.
Sounds like a hit!

Will you send it off to radio stations?
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 05:30:53 PM »
I like this. It sounds great. I agree it sounds like a radio song. Nice upbeat message. Carefree summer dance music. Good job!

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 02:55:57 PM »
Thanks all the for the kind comments, glad it is working out enjoyable.

@LostBoy
I know you want the chorus to be like BLAM...grab your flares and DANCE MO FO’S!!! but I just thought I’d let you know, what I heard/felt.
That's the effect I'm going for, might be a bit much for some though. Seems to be more the pattern in modern pop music, and that is more what I'm going for here.

@pompeyjazz
I loved the disco vibe.The funky guitar is wonderful.
I'm not quite Nile Rodgers yet, but I'm working on it!  ;D

@Rightly
Will you send it off to radio stations?
Knowing me I'll crack on with the text thing, creation is so much more fun that promotion for sure. Naughty I know but... ::)

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 03:54:08 PM »
Hello Tom, I totally get it mate, sorry, my point wasn't with the technique, it's a great one and yes, it's used a lot in modern pop, strip it all back in the verse and chuck it all in for the chorus, you have all the right things in place, the instrumentation is Great, its just that to my ears (for what its worth) it's a mix issue, im TRYING to hear your vocal in the second verse after the chorus, which isn't ideal..(does that make sense?). Btw, there isn't a DRASTIC drop off in volume, as is the case with most mixing issues late in the mix, its just a small tweak that is needed.

I'm happy to be wrong, I'm no expert, I could just say great job as always and that wouldn't be wrong either. Haha, You never leave much, if anything to critique mate, that's how good u are, but, the volume thing jumped out at me, I think the mix needs tweaking slightly, the instrumentation alone may/ should take care of the dynamic shift you are looking for, but I wanna hear the vocals on said verses as clear as the choruses.

Hope that's helpful mate.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 04:34:59 PM »
Hi Dude,

Really great song, vocal was nice but same as Lostboy said, its troubles my ear that the quite sections are not the same volume. Thats a production thing. Perceived loudness and volume two very different things.

But the song is cool and has punch so not knocking the track in anyway.

Willing to help if you need a hand with levelling the track as it has lots of legs. PM me if interested

Cheers
Andy

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 09:27:13 AM »
@LostBoy @Cawproductions
its just that to my ears (for what its worth) it's a mix issue, im TRYING to hear your vocal in the second verse after the chorus, which isn't ideal..(does that make sense?). Btw, there isn't a DRASTIC drop off in volume, as is the case with most mixing issues late in the mix, its just a small tweak that is needed.
I went back to listen to this again and although the chorus does hit very loud, the vocals sound clear to me in the verse, I can hear the words and melody just fine. I could go back to the mix and try and level it off slightly.
It's true that anything that distracts you from the song itself is worth rectifying.
Thanks for the offers of help, but I can handle the mixing  8)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 10:43:41 AM »
Hey @tboswell really enjoyed this - catchy as hell and very polished delivery and production! Nothing to criticize... can’t beat a bit of disco!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 12:32:35 PM »
A very commercial and well executed song, I particularly love that subtle 70s disco guitar - if it is possible to be subtle and 70s and disco!  ;D

I agree with the comments above on the variance between volumes/dynamics verse v chorus, so I guess you haven't remixed yet. But a simple twiddle of the nobs will smooth this out and make it very radio ready. I am sure it could have a life beyond the back streets of Soundcloud that many of us on here inhabit, good luck with it.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860