konalavadome

Headlines (The Reel Editors)

• 27 Replies

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 06:49:15 PM »
Hey John, I think it’s sooo cool you are revisiting such old stuff! Good on ya mate! I love the energy on this one, it sounds as crunchy as the lyrics! Great job boys.  ;D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 06:57:51 PM »
@Katieoasis Thanks Katie, I always value your opinion. I guess it's difficult to re-create the same energy you had when you were 18 when you're errr - Over 18  ;D

@Paulski Yeah ! Milk that hook  ;D

@Ramshackles Thanks Ram. Of course anything that is faintly similar to a Phil Collins 80's sound must be eradicated  ;)
TBH, that was actually a conscious decision to go with that drum kit but now you say I'm going to have a mess with some other kits

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 08:18:07 PM »
I loved it. The backing vocal has a cool effect but it's just not loud enough. The song has a killer chorus - call and response. Make sure That tthe response, "the radio times" etc is heard loud and clear. Guitars are sounding so cool!

Quality journey down memory lane.

Paul

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 09:22:09 PM »
Hey John...I only listened through once, and I haven't read the other remarks. Not that other remarks matter....

In spite of this being from 1979 I find it very timely. All news seems to focus mainly on the lurid, shocking, and negative events around us, making them seem bigger and more pervasive than they are.

Musically, the only thing I noticed on the once-through listen was the rhythm on the line: "Caution beware, there's a killer at large". "Beware" is emphasized  the opposite of what it would be in normal speech, making it sound (to me) odd and off. It would be easy to adjust that.

Otherwise, no nits. I definitely appreciate the content.

Vicki

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 09:58:11 PM »
@Wicked Deeds . Thanks so much Paul.  I agree with you that the response should have been more accentuated. Tried  hard to keep it as it was in the Olde days  ;)

@CaliaMoko .Thanks Vicki. I'm well aware of the bware  ;) I think that I often do that sort of misunprociation on purpose for effect. Yes, the news continues to spin but nowadays it tends to tweet rather than us get our hands on some print. I'm still a newspaper and book reader though  :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 10:28:06 PM »
Ooooh yes, that was ABSOLUTELY my cup of splosh John.  I love that late 70s post-punk sound.  It made me think of The Stranglers.
That bass sound is fantastic (a bit like the bass in 'No More Heroes'), and the guitars are deliciously unhinged... great effects on them.
I like the simplicity of the chorus too.  You must have had fun belting this one out back in the day.
It's all too beautiful.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 03:55:01 PM »
Crackly with energy, just sounds great. Can't believe you can summon up the spit and venom to perform it all these years later.

Kudos to you sir, cracking good listen.  :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 06:13:44 PM »
@PaulyX  Thanks so much.  Incidentally the bass player was obsessed with JJB's bass sound. Hope I got it near the mark. He messaged me to say it sounded authentic

@tboswell Thanks Tom made my day. Life in the old git yet  ;D

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2018, 11:42:44 AM »
Wow! This is LOUD,

"Eiffel tower's fallen down
Someone's nicked our good queens crown"

That's great lyric writing and there are loads more like that in this song. This is really not my preferred style but I have to say that this is brilliantly done. Bass sounds just like The Jam circa 1979. The vocals are up to your usual standard and the whole thing throbs with energy and imagination. Superb.

M

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 06:53:51 PM »
@montydog Thanks a lot Alan. I really appreciate that as I know it's not your favourite genre. The Bruce Foxton bass sound is a big favourite of mine along with JJB's from The Stranglers  :)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2018, 03:31:31 PM »
Hi,

Jean Jaques is one of my favourite bass players. I've had the pleasure of seeing him live twice. First time in 1980 with the original Stranglers line up and again in 2016 with just him and Dave Greenfield surviving the intervening years.

Loved the track, BTW

Alan

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 04:39:28 PM »
Hi Pompey....

I think my ears have just exploded.....very loud, But hey, This track has a massive pair of balls.

Very punkish feel, seeing as I was only 10 when you guys were kicking ass....sounds great.

I just go and get a tissue, think I feel blood coming from my lugholes...Kick over an amp for you on the way....