Deep tube rider

• 13 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: August 06, 2018, 08:09:29 PM »
Hi everyone,
Here's one I wrote last month. It has had a slightly different birth.
Firstly lyrics are about a larger than life 1970's Aussie surfer who died in 2012. It was a really interesting story https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9179418/Michael-Peterson.html so I tore out the obituary and there it sat on the to do pile for the last 6 years until last month.

Musically I used the drop D alternate tuning ( which beats me ) on my 12 string which gave it a great drone thingy. And lastly I recorded a demo on my wife's iPad in garageband on holiday, which accounts for the strings, and they and the drums survive from that demo. 

Anyway enough guff, here's the track https://soundcloud.com/neilconnor-2/hey-there-michael

Look forward to you comments and suggestions. Is it any good and what about the mix, especially the vocals. And indeed the title - I can think of three..

Thanks a lot
 :)
neil

Hey there Michael sitting up high
Repaired and mended what you couldn’t buy
All started out at Kirra beach
Moved the rocked and you’re out of reach

Hey Hey

Hi there Michael, what’s going on?
You don’t say much and don’t stay long
Is it in the winning or in the waves
Have you gotten what others crave?

Coz you’re the King of the Surfers, you’re top of the dudes
You’re a Deep Tube Rider, with nothing to lose
Hey there Michael, here’s to you

Coz you’re the King of the Surfers, you’re top of the dudes
Hey there Michael, here’s to you - here’s to you

Drugs and mental illness
And that high speed chase
100 miles to Brisbane
They threw you in jail

Hey there Michael, where have you been?
A long time missing from the scene
High speed cutbacks are just - history
But caught on film for you and me

The King of the Surfers, you’re top of the dudes
Hey there Michael, here’s to you

c N Connor 2018
songwriter of no repute..

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 10:49:54 PM »
Great story and as usual a story often makes a song Neil. I loved the D drone guitar and I must say that the Garageband strings were really effective. Were they straight out of the box or did you EQ them ? Either way it's a great little number that is just a little bit different. Great stuff Neil  :)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 07:56:58 AM »
John,
thanks for the feedback. The smart strings are straight out of the box, all I had to do was select the smart strings and hit the right key. Dont think I did anything to the fx in mixing.
 :)
Neil 

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 06:05:12 PM »
Hey Neil,

Super soundscape.  Love the strings that are prominent throughout.  I really love it when writers broaden their writing themes, learning stories that feed into their writing, so kudos there!  This sounds like it could be a real grower!

Paul

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 09:53:25 PM »
Yo Neil.

Great production and lovely string/guitar sounds.

I love the topic. Michael sounds like a lot of brilliantly talented people,difficult,contrary and uncompromising. Often extreme talent comes at an extreme human cost.

Love what you've done here. A fine song and not from a formula.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »
Very effective use of the strings! You can use these things in some ways and they sound awful but you've really made the best of them here.
Love the high pitched acoustic guitar working the chorus, really effective too.
Great production touches throughout.

I think the track could be a bit faster, it feels a little leaden in place and would certainly work a touch faster.
The drums sound a little far back in the mix too for me.

Chorus lyric is great, really sums up the track nicely.

Super track!

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 05:42:47 PM »
Vocals sound great with the strings. Like the doubled up vocals and how it builds up. You really can tell a story.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 08:18:27 PM »
Hey Neil  Its a really good song and well produced. Love the lyrics and the background behind them.

But as T boswell already points out and for my ears too its too slow paced, especially given the lyric content. the ponderous delivery is at odds with the story.

Speed it up so it clocks in around 3 minutes and you will have a beltin tune.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 11:31:25 AM »
Hi Neil,

This song rings with me as I surf so get the vocal lines...
I like the sound vibe you have but can help thinking the lyrics belong to a much rockier song.

BUT, not taking anything away from the song. Great work with all the elements,

Andy

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 10:20:34 PM »
Hey Neil
Enjoyed that.  When I saw the title I thought it would be about someone commuting on the Jubilee Line or something.  But the actual story is a more evocative subject!
The strings are the stars as others have said - I like they way they stay at that constant pace throughout.  Personally I thought the pace was right for the track, lending it a bit of stately gravitas.  And that detuned guitar chimes smashingly.
Nice one.
It's all too beautiful.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 11:37:12 AM »
Hi Neil,

The 12 string sounds amazing and that, combined with the strings, is what makes this song for me. I think the pace is fine but it would also have worked a little quicker. Great melody and vocal delivery of a original and non-chiched song. Great to tell a true story in such an original way.

Nice one, Dude.

M

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 10:16:39 AM »
Hey Neil,

You know I’m usually a big fan of your stuff and although I love the story telling/lyrics, the strings (especially) and the chorus is good,(not as strong, as some of your others) but for me it was just toooooo sloooow man! Sorry buddy! :-\ 1.23 to get to the chorus is imho too long, especially When there’s a short intro.

I hope that’s of some help to ya mate.  :D

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 10:57:44 AM »
I really like this!

classy. Nice story and images,
It had my attention until the very end.

Another listen!

Thanks for sharing
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 09:22:18 AM »

Alan, thanks I'm please the delivery and story didn't feel cliched. I'll drop you a massage on another matter.

Lostboy, didn't know you were a fanboy - that put a  ;D on my face. Re pace that divided the listeners..   

Rightly, excellent that holding attention business

PaulyX, stately gravitas indeed thanks!. Will send you a pm re the tube later

Cawprodcutions, Andy thanks re the lyrics, I'm sure they could have gone for a rockier tune, I had diggeredoos on my mind and when I hit the 12 string the dye was cast.

Micky, point taken about the speed. If you hadn't said that I'd be slightly worried  :)

redrhodie, thanks for the listen and teh comment on storytelling, really appreciated that.

Tom, You're a string ninja so thanks, but the garageband smart tool deserves the real credit.

Skub 'Often extreme talent comes at an extreme human cost' indeed, thats why he was so interesting, glad I persevered

Wicked, thanks for the comments especially around broadening horizons. Great to see you back on the forum.

Need to do some reviews myself...