konalavadome

I Am Perfect (Ashes for Dreams)

• 12 Replies

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« on: August 04, 2018, 01:24:57 PM »
Hi all....

Karen here, the non-Swedish half of Ashes for Dreams.

My first posting but not the first Ashes for Dreams posting - @Jambrains normally posts them here but I'm coming out from hiding and doing my bit :-).. This one is a complete departure for us - the lyric started out as a joke / "holder" lyric but somehow it stuck and then I'm not sure what happened but @Jambrains went all disco on us and this is the result!

All feedback very welcome on any aspect of the song / production - this is actually the second mix with added BVs and some tweaks..

https://soundcloud.com/ashesfordreams/i-am-perfect-remix

You've given me an impossible thing to do
How could you make me choose between them and you?
To justify your jealous mind when I'm out of view
You've built a simple story but it's just not true

Take your time and I'll take mine
We'll work it out completely
Hear me out, hear what I'm all about
I'll make my case so sweetly

It's all your fault and I am perfect
So don't try and put the blame on me
You will find that it's not worth it
The truth is plain for everyone to see

You misconstrue what I do and what I say
As your position moves, all you'll prove is a need to get your way
You pretend it's for an end in the game we play
But if truth be told, that won't hold on judgement day

You'll get yours and I'll get mine
And karma will defeat you
Make your case, cos it's time to face
No-one will believe you

Karma, karma will defeat you
No-one, no-one will believe you

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 06:55:50 PM »
@MonnoDB

Yo Karen,good to see a new/old face around here!  8)

This is rather a curved ball from yours and Johan's usual mode of musical operation,not typical perhaps?  :D

I'm really surprised your vocal works so well with this track,I'd have said an electronic disco track would be so 'not you'! So what do I know,because everything works just fine,yet you retain that lovely 'Kirsty MacColl' flavour to your voice.

Was Johan experimenting with perspective altering pharmaceuticals when this track was concocted? Because it's so not him either!  :D

It's a great,punchy,fun track,though the lyrics do retain your trademark darker side. The ever so catchy chorus lyrics are usually mentioned to me many times by the women in my house,so that part sounds already familiar.  :P

A great listen and a quality piece from you two. That part,at least,is business as usual. ;D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 10:42:37 PM »
Welcome @MonnoDB . Jeez this a massive departure from what I would normally expect from Mr @Jambrains . It's been extremely well put together but personally prefer your other stuff. Ouch ! Sorry cos I really do love your other Ashes For Dreams stuff  :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 03:46:04 AM »
Welcome MonnoDB...I've seen your "name" so many times I already feel like I know you.

I loved this. I really like how the rhythm, melody, and words all snick together so well. The only nit I have is not important to anyone here, probably, except me because I'm so OCD about grammar. The line "So don't try and put the blame on me" I would change to "So don't try to put the blame on me".

I might consider trying to learn this one, if it's okay with you. ?? Because, you know, I love it. Oh, I already said that....

Vicki

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 12:36:06 PM »
Having it heard it what, three times now - well I can sing along easily to the chorus from memory, which given the limited skill of my memory, this has got to be a good thing.

Technically very good this and sounds like you both had a lot of fun! Most entertaining.

Can I order a sad/moody one next tho!? - back to your rustic rock roots  ;)

My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 10:18:15 PM »
Hi Karen,

I like this, it brought a smile to my face. My only real concern is the drums. I'd prefer something a bit more bass heavy. It may just be my system though.

Keith

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 11:57:50 AM »
Well I’ll be damned...Jambrains does disco??!!  ;D Well maybe I can get him to do the gangster rap meets stock aitkin and Waterman tune that I’ve had in my head for forever!!! ;D ;D ;D

Now that Jam has discovered that there are other instruments with strings...well who knows what’s coming next?!!

This song sounds perfect to me. It’s catchy as all hell and the way you deliver that chorus is BRILLIANT (that lower harmony on “perfect” is a very clever hook) excellent lyrics as always Karen.

What a cool happy accident!! Well done guys! ;D ;)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 08:27:07 AM »
Thanks all for the comments and the welcome!  Much appreciated!

@Skub - thank you! I'm not sure what JB was taking but I want some  :D! I can never tell what's going to arrive back from that studio of his... it's quite the trip!  ;D ;D Thanks for your comments..

@pompeyjazz - glad to hear you like our other stuff if not this so much - this one was never going to be for everyone methinks! Thanks so much for checking it out!

@CaliaMoko Thank you so much - and yes absolutely of course it's ok with us if you learn it! I'd be delighted :)! Yes that line - I hear you as believe it or not I'm a bit OCD regarding grammar myself and you are indeed correct, I'm using a more colloquial version and the more correct version is "to". I switched between the two when writing / recording but I went with the easier to sing "and" in the end... This one has a lot of words delivered at quite a fast pace and "to tell" wasn't coming out smoothly...

@MichaelA thank you... Well the next one won't be like this one  :D - thanks a mill!

@LostBoy yes who would have thunk it!?! I was expecting something rocky but there you go! I just want to see him dancing to it  ;D ;D! Thank you for your lovely comments!

Thanks again all..

K

Liam

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 10:57:32 PM »
I quite like this has an 80s feeling about it - good strong chorus I thought - well sung works well

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 02:02:41 AM »
Hi Karen
Lots to like here.
I like the lyrics - worth it/perfect is a stellar rhyme :)
Good bridge.
Keyboards are punchy.
Vocals are great.

Enjoyed it!
Paul

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 10:56:25 AM »
Apols for the late response to this but I’m away and online infrequently as I work hard at relaxing :-).

Thanks to @Paulski - thanks for your comments and yes I do like a non-obvious rhyme from time to time!
@Katieoasis I thank you!

Karen.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 02:53:25 PM »
Hi Karen

Who said 70's disco has gone. Smashing the theme on this, Vocals work well. Keep hearing those cheeky strings dropping, reminds of that track "Born to be alive". My mate was a DJ in the late 80's and we used to go and see him, he always mixed this stuff with House music that was just coming to UK at that time. Anyway, I divulge.

Track sounds super retro.

Nice work.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 02:38:40 PM »
Hi Karen,

Vocal reminded me of "Echo Beach" by Martha & The Muffins which is a good thing. Very skillfully arranged and written piece way out of my comfort zone but effective nevertheless. Catchy chorus and a very modern, intricate sounding recording.

Impressive indeed.

m